Glare?

Glare?

Postby Dorian » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:18 pm

I've listened to two separate albums today, both female vocals (Adele 25 and Sophia Pfister Birdcage) and I wince slightly when they hit upper midrange notes. Overall tone and soundstage sound great though. Is this "glare"? And if so, do I need to lower my VTA slightly?

Thanks.
VPI Prime #959 & Outer Ring| SoundSmith MIMC Star | Herron VTPH-2A | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium HP Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Audio Sensibility Cables | Symposium Ultra | AQ Niagara 1000 | Stillpoints LPI | Focal Clear
Dorian

Re: Glare?

Postby Tlarwa » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:27 pm

Funny you bring this up. I had the same experience last night listening to Esperanza Spalding's Chamber Music Society LP (excellent sonics on this one, by the way). I don't listen to female vocals that reach into upper registers like that very often, so it's hard to say how long my system has been demonstrating that. I ended up resetting my cartridge (azimuth, VTF and alignment) and it took care of it. In fact, it made an amazing difference. I hadn't check any of the settings in the past year, but I have had the arm off the spike a few times. Apparently things got out of whack just enough to cause issues.
Handbuilt SET, VPI Classic 1, AT-33PTG, Dynavector P75, hand-built passive pre, Blair Chapman built SRPP active pre, handbuilt folded open baffle floorstanders, Kimber Kable wires, a digital front end that I never listen to!
Tlarwa

Postby tom collins » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:27 pm

probably hot recording. if you could play them on someone else's machine you could confirm or not.
TNT6HR, rim drive, superplat, outer ring, center weight, 12.0 arm, 12.7 arm, SDS, SRA platform; Soundsmith Gold Denon, Zu, Grado ME+ carts; Cary Audio PH302 ver 2 phono-pre; Cary 30i prototype EL34 integrated amp; Devore Gibbon 8 speakers; PSB sub.
tom collins

Postby 10ovr » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:30 pm

Dorian wrote:I've listened to two separate albums today, both female vocals (Adele 25 and Sophia Pfister Birdcage) and I wince slightly when they hit upper midrange notes. Overall tone and soundstage sound great though. Is this "glare"? And if so, do I need to lower my VTA slightly?

Thanks.

So there went Audio Nirvana :lol:
10ovr

Postby Dorian » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:37 pm

10ovr wrote:
Dorian wrote:I've listened to two separate albums today, both female vocals (Adele 25 and Sophia Pfister Birdcage) and I wince slightly when they hit upper midrange notes. Overall tone and soundstage sound great though. Is this "glare"? And if so, do I need to lower my VTA slightly?

Thanks.

So there went Audio Nirvana :lol:

LOL. Still sounds great overall! I wasn't listening to these two albums during the nirvana state! They are both modern recordings so could be a bit 'hot', like Tom said. Tlawa, I just setup my cart recently and am confident it is really dialed in. I have been playing with VTA a bit so that's the only thing I think could be contributing, if anything.
VPI Prime #959 & Outer Ring| SoundSmith MIMC Star | Herron VTPH-2A | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium HP Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Audio Sensibility Cables | Symposium Ultra | AQ Niagara 1000 | Stillpoints LPI | Focal Clear
Dorian

Postby Stringreen » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:44 pm

..just a technical consideration.....when raising or lowing the back of the arm, you should recheck azimuth....it will have changed
Stringreen

Postby Golear » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:08 pm

I'd try the following:
(1) take out the Stillpoints LPi, try with the plain HRX weight and then with the 2 dimes.
(2) take out the Symposium stand and try with a plain wood shelf. Maple is, in my opinion, ideal.
Golear

Postby Dorian » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:14 pm

Stringreen wrote:..just a technical consideration.....when raising or lowing the back of the arm, you should recheck azimuth....it will have changed

Yes thanks Stringreen I had already done that. Seems fine today. Maybe it was my ears!
Dorian

Return to Support Forum