Prime versus Classic - Advice needed please

Prime versus Classic - Advice needed please

Postby HipVinyl » Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:57 pm

Hello everyone,

I am looking at two used turntables and I am looking for advice and expertise on which one to choose.

Deck 1 is a VPI Prime with an acrylic platter and a Rega RB303 arm and isolation feet.

Deck 2 is a VPI Classic I "Original" with JMW 10.5i SE tonearm.

Which would you think is the better TT?

Many thanks

Hip
HipVinyl

Re: Prime versus Classic - Advice needed please

Postby Lewisranchmike » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:59 pm

HipVinyl wrote:Hello everyone,

I am looking at two used turntables and I am looking for advice and expertise on which one to choose.

Deck 1 is a VPI Prime with an acrylic platter and a Rega RB303 arm and isolation feet.

Many thanks

Hip

I do not think a Prime without the 3D arm will measure up to the Classic. But with that said I would look for a Prime with 3D arm for best results

Mike in Austin
Avenger Reference MK1, VAS Nova Gold, Symposium Seque Iso, Stillpoints LPI, VPI Periphery Ring, ADS, Roadrunner Tach, Audio Sensibility Statement, ARC Ref Phono 2SE, ARC Ref 5SE, McIntosh MC252, KimberKable 8TC, Vandersteen 3A Sig
Lewisranchmike

Postby tony22 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:11 pm

Or a used HW Special Classic. :mrgreen: If interested send a PM.
Pass XP-20 & XP-15, AVA 600R, Shahinian speakers, PS Audio DMP & DS, Avenger w/mods, 12" Fatboy gimbal + 2nd mount, Benz LPS, VAS & SS carts, Ortofon Quintet Mono, Logitech Touch, RSA Haley and PSA conditioning, PAD and AZ cables.
tony22

Postby spinblackcircle » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:46 pm

HipVinyl wrote:Hello everyone,

Many thanks

Hip

I've never seen or heard of a Prime with a Rega arm mounted on it. I think I saw one Acrylic plattered Prime as well. This sounds like a table someone put together with some spare parts they accumulated.
VPI Prime/Grado Reference Master, VPI 16.5 RCM, Audio Research LP1, Audio Research VSI60, Ryan Speakers R630, ClearDay and Audio Sensibility Cables
spinblackcircle

Postby TomD » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:47 pm

The first option is a DIY one-off. The acrylic platter and Rega Arm will substantially change it from a stock Prime, so it is hard to know how it would compare. Depending on who did the mods and their capabilities it could be amazing or it might be terrible. I wouldn't consider it without an audition, or at least knowing the credentials of who put it together.

The Classic is a great table and a much safer choice. I would prefer a Prime if it was stock - the 3D arm is really a nice upgrade and I prefer the outboard motor.

Good luck whatever you decide.
VPI Prime Signature w/SDS, VAS Nova Sig., Parasound JC3 Phono, Parasound P7 Pre, Pass Labs XA30.8 Amplifier, Salk Exotica Monitors, 2X Salk 15" Subwoofers
TomD

Return to Future VPI Owners