Manley Chinook Owners Tube talk.....

Re: Manley Chinook Owners Tube talk.....

Postby thesmurfsvillage » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:26 pm

With my Prina-Luna Dialogue Premium seperates, I have rolled almost all 6DJ8 variant tubes that Upscale sells in my Chinook SE. Phillips SQ, Matsushita, Bel, Tungsram (even the elusive "Holy Grail" Reflektor '78) etc, and by far the best tubes to use in this phonostage are the Sieman's (branded Telefunken) PCC88/7DJ8, I linked below. The Reflektor's are fairly close, the Tungsram's are a little more "lively", but as far as air, 3D, and soundstage go, these Siemen 7DJ8's are the bomb.

Another tip: Try running the Chinook with the cover off. Unless it produces an audible hum, almost all tube gear sounds better this way. Also, I could never hear any difference rolling tubes in the front sockets, so mainly focus on the back two sockets of the Chinook.

https://www.upscaleaudio.com/products/t ... pcc88-7dj8
thesmurfsvillage

Postby 33+1third » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:24 pm

thesmurfsvillage wrote: Also, I could never hear any difference rolling tubes in the front sockets, so mainly focus on the back two sockets of the Chinook.

Curious ..... Aren't the left sockets gain and the right output? Therefore the back sockets would be (l) gain (r) output am I confusing myself again.
"Music is my Time Machine"
33+1third

Postby madrac » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:21 pm

33+1third wrote:
thesmurfsvillage wrote: Also, I could never hear any difference rolling tubes in the front sockets, so mainly focus on the back two sockets of the Chinook.

Curious ..... Aren't the left sockets gain and the right output? Therefore the back sockets would be (l) gain (r) output am I confusing myself again.

Looking from the front of the Chinook, the front tubes are left channel, the rear are right channel. I believe the gain tubes are the two left tubes (nearest the gain switches)
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (49.33 KiB) Viewed 453 times
madrac

Postby Jprod » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:13 am

madrac wrote:
33+1third wrote:

Looking from the front of the Chinook, the front tubes are left channel, the rear are right channel. I believe the gain tubes are the two left tubes (nearest the gain switches)

Yes you are correct- the leftmost tubes ( when facing the front of the chinook ) are the gain stage. Confirmed this with an email from Eva Manley. At some point they rotated the board 90 degrees counterclockwise in order to have the gain stage tubes the furtherst away from the power transformer.

In older versions of the chinook where the gain switches are in the back , the 2 gain tubes are the ones in the back as well.
VPI Prime with ortofon 2m black, Manley Chinook phono preamp, Wyred4sound STP-SE preamp, parasound halo a21 amp, Ascend acoustics tower speakers with RAAL ribbon tweeters, audio sensibility signature cables
Jprod

Postby 33+1third » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:42 pm

As a continuation ..... to this very interesting thread :geek: What IS your favorite gain or tube set up in the Manley chinook?
"Music is my Time Machine"
33+1third

Postby thesmurfsvillage » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:44 pm

Honestly, I didn't dig too deeply into the schematics. I just remember Kevin D. telling me, when I bought my Chinook, that the back tubes are "where the rubber hits the road". Obviously, being an obsessive audiophile, I did my own experimenting and came to the same conclusion.. Believe me, I swapped all those tube variants I mentioned in the front sockets, and never heard a change in the musical presentation. Not to say you won't, but I didn't.
thesmurfsvillage

Postby Jprod » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:45 pm

All I have tried are the ones I have referenced in a prior post on this thread. I do not care for the stock tubes. I found them harsh and lacking in detail. The amperexes In the gain stage are a revelation. They have lifted a huge veil off of the sound.
VPI Prime with ortofon 2m black, Manley Chinook phono preamp, Wyred4sound STP-SE preamp, parasound halo a21 amp, Ascend acoustics tower speakers with RAAL ribbon tweeters, audio sensibility signature cables
Jprod

Postby Ducky » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:19 pm

Does anyone have any experience with the Genalex Gold Lion 6DJ8 tubes. I see they sell at a premium and I've heard good things about them?
Ducky

Postby madrac » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:14 am

Ducky wrote:Does anyone have any experience with the Genalex Gold Lion 6DJ8 tubes. I see they sell at a premium and I've heard good things about them?

I think genep has in another thread (below).

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8999
madrac

Postby gene9p » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:52 am

I use the Genalex Gold Lion 6922's and they are my everyday favorite.

I did not like the Phillips 6dj8's that come with the SE that I bought separately as I do not have the SE Chinook.
CLASSIC 2 WALNUT,w CLASSIC 3 ARM, SDS
HW SPECIAL VAS NOVA .4v
MANLEY CHINOOOK
Vinnie Rossie LIO integrated
KRELL CD Player
BRYSTON BDA-1
HARBETH 7es-3
MORROW AUDIO + AUDIO SENSIBILITY Cables
WAYNE'S OUTER RING
gene9p

PreviousNext

Return to General Audio