Vas Nova/HW reviews and comparison

Re: Vas Nova/HW reviews and comparison

Postby JimmyL » Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:05 pm

Dorian wrote:Hey Jimmy

There are multiple schools of thought on anti-skate, discussed ad nausaeum on this forum and elsewhere. I won’t dive into that debate, but will simply describe what I did. I followed the SoundSmith method, which is to apply just enough anti-skate that the arm moves very slowly inwards on the smooth surface in the runout section (not in the groove). I was lucky that one of my test records has a large smooth grooveleess run out area so I use that. You need to experiment to get it to not move in at all, then reduce AS a tiny bit until it very slowly moves in. Using this method, my AS mechanism ended up looking like in the photo below. Hope that helps.

Dorian

BAF912E2-FEC0-4C35-9AF1-236BB247628F.jpeg

Thanks Dorian,

That does help. It looks like the pic shows your AS mech. with the tone arm at inner part of the album (max travel of the mech.)? And, I see that you have only the two rings on the upper arm. Some of the discussions talk about multiple rings and brass weights on that lower arm. Not sure where they're getting all that skating power from that they'd need that much compensation??
I've been playing around with other setup and varying VTA and VTF. Once I have a good idea on that, I'll work on the AS setup. I do get the theory and it seems this is the final fine tuning adjustment. I can see why some have dismissed it and/or don't want to bother but the merits expressed by yourself and some other knowledgable people urges me to get this figured out. Kind of the Holy Grail of TT setup!! ;)
VPI HW19 mod’ed MK3 w/JMW10.5i, VAS HW Nova Special 0.4mV, Musical Paradise MP501 V2 Integrated Tube amp, MP Tube Phono Pre, MP Tube D1 DAC, Harbeth P3esr’s
JimmyL

Postby mreeter » Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:40 pm

Dorian wrote:Thanks Harry. I do have the arm up a touch at the rear; had it there for the MIMC and actually brought it down a little for the Nova but its still above parallel. Precise alignment was achieved using a SMARTractor and Adjust+ for azimuth+.

Both you and Jonathanb recommended to adjust the loading. I had been running the Herron unloaded, per Keith Herron's advice. But today I first tried 500 ohms and then 1000. Made a significant improvement to the sound, especially the 1000. Really opened it up, without losing the warmth and smoothness of the bass and midrange. Definitely no etch or harshness at all. Really sounds great now! I borrowed this Nova from Jonathan but I may have to convince him to sell it to me, as the more I listen the more I like it!

After reading HW's recommendations and your results, I've loaded my Nova to 1000 ohms...OMG :shock: , the improvements are amazing to say the least.

Thankful for the information, advice and people of this Forum :)
VPI Classic Signature SE
VPI SDS
VPI 16.5
Modwright LS-100 Linestage Preamp
Rogue Audio Ares "Magnum" Phono Preamp
VAS Audio Citation II Monoblock Amps
Polk Audio SDA SRS 3.1TL
Dual Rythmik F8 Subs
MIT S1 Shotgun/Audio Sensibility Wires
mreeter

Postby Dorian » Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:43 pm

JimmyL wrote:It looks like the pic shows your AS mech. with the tone arm at inner part of the album (max travel of the mech.)?

No I think that was taken before I dropped the needle. There's still a lot of play in the AS mechanism.

JimmyL wrote:And, I see that you have only the two rings on the upper arm. Some of the discussions talk about multiple rings and brass weights on that lower arm. Not sure where they're getting all that skating power from that they'd need that much compensation??

Not sure either. Different carts/table may require more or less?
VPI Prime #959 & Outer Ring| SoundSmith MIMC Star | Herron VTPH-2A | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium HP Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Audio Sensibility Cables | Symposium Ultra | AQ Niagara 1000 | Stillpoints LPI | Focal Clear
Dorian

Postby Dorian » Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:45 pm

mreeter wrote:After reading HW's recommendations and your results, I've loaded my Nova to 1000 ohms...OMG :shock: , the improvements are amazing to say the least. Thankful for the information, advice and people of this Forum :)

Yes was a real 'ear-opener' for me too! Went from being an ok cart but not as good as the MIMC Star, to an excellent cart on-par with, but different to, the MIMC Star.
VPI Prime #959 & Outer Ring| SoundSmith MIMC Star | Herron VTPH-2A | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium HP Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Audio Sensibility Cables | Symposium Ultra | AQ Niagara 1000 | Stillpoints LPI | Focal Clear
Dorian

Postby JimmyL » Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:49 pm

Dorian wrote:
mreeter wrote:After reading HW's recommendations and your results, I've loaded my Nova to 1000 ohms...OMG :shock: , the improvements are amazing to say the least. Thankful for the information, advice and people of this Forum :)

Yes was a real 'ear-opener' for me too! Went from being an ok cart but not as good as the MIMC Star, to an excellent cart on-par with, but different to the MIMC Star.

My tubed phono pre only adjusts (as far as I can see) to 600 ohms... sounds fantastic but I'd like to try 1000. I'll inquire to see if this is possible with the manufacturer.

Totally agreed with appreciating the memberships assistance and knowledge. Thanks all.
VPI HW19 mod’ed MK3 w/JMW10.5i, VAS HW Nova Special 0.4mV, Musical Paradise MP501 V2 Integrated Tube amp, MP Tube Phono Pre, MP Tube D1 DAC, Harbeth P3esr’s
JimmyL

Postby JimmyL » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:16 pm

JimmyL wrote:
Dorian wrote:

Yes was a real 'ear-opener' for me too! Went from being an ok cart but not as good as the MIMC Star, to an excellent cart on-par with, but different to the MIMC Star.

My tubed phono pre only adjusts (as far as I can see) to 600 ohms... sounds fantastic but I'd like to try 1000. I'll inquire to see if this is possible with the manufacturer.

Totally agreed with appreciating the memberships assistance and knowledge. Thanks all.

I was told that I can have the two resistors in my pre changed from 600 to 1k. Just wondering if it’s worth the effort for the gain? Also, any downside to this?
JimmyL

Postby Harry » Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:29 pm

It will sound more open with 1000 ohms so that is between you and your system if you need that. I like it as open as possible but some people like that tight focused sound, six of one half dozen of the other.
When I use A-S I set it so it activates just before the arm hits the record and the weight side is parallel with the record at the end of the music.

HW
Harry
Admin

Postby Dorian » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:14 pm

I still couldn’t get the Nova open enough for my liking even loaded at 1000 ohms, compared to the MIMC Star. I played around with VTA quite a bit too. So I’ve gone back to the MIMC Star. It seems to be the best fit for my tastes and system/room. YMMV.
Dorian

Postby JimmyL » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:08 pm

What weights (VTF) are you running with the higher loads? I was at 1.75g and tried 1.65g. Think I preferred the higher weight as it seemed fuller on the bottom end.

Just wondering if there's been a pattern as the loading went up?
JimmyL

Postby JimmyL » Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:37 pm

After extensive review on set-up, I prefer the higher VTF of 1.75g and got the best AS with 3 rubber washers high up on the lower arm and two low down on the upper arm - very slow skate to the inside and both channels appear balanced and undistorted.
I don't have a azimuth (fozgometer) etc. so can only adjust the cart level and couldn't really discern better sound adjusting +1/-1 degree change. So, I'll leave it as it is until I can borrow a better testing device.
JimmyL

PreviousNext

Return to Harry's Corner