VPI phono cable

VPI phono cable

Postby Mike O » Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:28 pm

Harry, I was getting reading to purchase your VPI phono cable when I read the following quote from you. The quote is taken from a thread here on yourVPI phono cable about two years ago addressing noise issues with the cable a few individuals had. Here' your quote:

"I wish I could duplicate the problems you guys may or may not be having, but I use the VPI cable on 4 systems, all dead silent as long as I keep all digital generators away from the cable. The shield, which protects it from stray analog noise, will also pick up and send into the system any stray digital noise in the area. I have noticed this when my CD player or outside speed box was near the cable. Removing it dropped the noise level down to near zero."

Here's my question. How far away does a digital source like a CD player need to be from my Classic 2 turntable to not have its' phono cable pick up some noise from it? Alternately, since I would not be using the turntable at the same time as the CD player would simply turning the CD player off resolve any possible issue? Reason I ask is that I plan to locate my Marantz CD player one shelf below my new Classic 2 turntable. If it makes any difference, the Classic 2 will be sitting on a slab of marble on top of its wooden shelf. Also the VPI phono cable will pass by the CD player enroute to the Luxman 507uX II integrated amp on the lowest shelf. This is not a rack. All shelves are wooden and built in. I could enclose the cable in some conduit as it passes the CD player if that might help. Thanks.

Mike O'Neill
Mike O

Re: VPI phono cable

Postby Golear » Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:29 pm

My 2 cents:

If you power off all you digital gear, then (1) you'll get better sound and (2) you can get whatever cable you like.

I don't have a CD player. I have a tuner, a TV, cable box and blu-ray player in the same room as my hi-fi. They are connected to a separate power strip that has an ON-OFF switch. When I want to listen to my turntable, I set the switch to OFF. It's not enough to operate the switch on the front panel or press the "power" button on the remote control. That only sets the circuitry to standby, and the digital gremlins are all still active. The component has to be disconnected from the mains.

I don't think the cables are where all the the digital gremlins are being picked up. Radio frequency / electromagnetic interference is transmitted by the transformers, resistors, capacitors and chips in the equipment, and by the tracks on the circuit board. Vertical stacking will thus not be ideal - but in many cases, analog gear can be pretty well behaved with each other. (Exception: MC phono stages can be tricky.) Spacing equipment horizontally is a far better option because the radiation is least on the edges the circuit board. Your analog gear will benefit from this, too.

I have a second TV, cable box, Wi-Fi router, etc. on the same house power circuit as my hi-fi gear. It doesn't seem to matter to my sound system if that gear is ON or OFF. I'm guessing it doesn't matter because it's so far away (15 ft) and separated by walls.
Golear

Postby gene9p » Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:46 pm

my hum was created by the location of my phono stage .Once moved to a different shelf, goodbye hum.
CLASSIC 2 WALNUT,w CLASSIC 3 ARM, SDS
HW SPECIAL VAS NOVA .4v
MANLEY CHINOOOK
Vinnie Rossie LIO integrated
KRELL CD Player
BRYSTON BDA-1
HARBETH 7es-3
MORROW AUDIO + AUDIO SENSIBILITY Cables
WAYNE'S OUTER RING
gene9p

Postby Harry » Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:57 pm

I am now using a CD/SACD player right under my table with the cable running right behind it. My room correction uses DSP to do its work, and I have an Amazon Fire Stick plugged into the back of my preamp. No Noise. I have no idea what is going on but using VPI shielded cables I have zero hum on at least 7 different systems.

HW
Harry
Admin

Postby Golear » Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:01 pm

I guess I should clarify my comments. Powering off digital gear to improve analog sound is not my idea. I read about it in this forum, tried it out and liked it a lot. I think it was posted by Mat, and it had something to do with what made the ADS better than the SDS - not sure though.

It's not hum or noise, and not about interconnects. There's a qualitative improvement in the sound. When I demo it to people, they describe it as an improvement in the high frequencies. I hear that, and better 3D image and depth in the soundstage.

Of course, the usual caveats apply: depends on system, components, etc.
Golear

Postby Ducky » Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:20 pm

There was a fairly good discussion about digital noise and RFI here:

http://www.vpiforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7553&start=70
Ducky

Postby Mike O » Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:24 pm

Golear, thanks for both your posts. I'll make sure to turn the digital equipment completely off. Sounds like that' s the best way to go. I would have never thought "off" equated to standby only. Thanks for the advice.

Gene, my phono stage is in My Luxman 507uX II integrated amp. so no issues there. Glad you got your hum issue resolved so readily.

Harry, I'm happy to hear your setup is similar to mine and you're experiencing no issue with the cable. I'll go ahead and order one on your say so. If theres' any issue I'll unplug the CD player and see if that works. Thanks.

Ducky, thanks for the link, I'll read through it tonight. I've been reading up on Furman power conditioners today, trying to figure out the best way to get line noise and any other interference out of my new system.

Thanks all,

Mike
Mike O

Postby Brf » Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:55 am

The VPI phono cable is a well regarded shielded cable that works 100% noise free in most systems. Yes, there are systems that produce noise that a phono cable will pick up but they are not limited to systems using the VPI phono cable. If you have a concern, purchase the VPI cable from a dealer that has a good return policy.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Mike O » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:25 pm

No particular concern Brf other than that raised on the thread I'd referenced. As you say that digital noise might just as well be picked up by another brand. I'll give it a try. Music Direct has a sixty day return policy if I remember, if there are any problems of this sort.

Mike
Mike O

Postby Harry » Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:31 pm

Sorry for missing the point. I have all my digital gear turned off when listening to vinyl, it definitely sounds better that way.

HW
Harry
Admin

Next

Return to Harry's Corner