More on Electrical Tape

Re: More on Electrical Tape

Postby Dmm714 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:41 pm

Tirebiter wrote:Not all electrical tapes are slathered in goo. 3M Scotch Super 88 has minimal stick-um...akin to post-it notes and less than painters tape.

Brock

Thanks! I'll check it out
Dmm714

Postby Mr_Putty » Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:17 am

A follow up to my clear-tape test. Three layers proved to be the best. I tried as many as four, all a bit offset as shown in my photo.. Four layers reminded me of the dulling some rubber commercial mats did. My application was quick and dirty, results might be better with careful cutting and application. Cutting with sizzers is tricky because the tape is so sticky. Cutting with a single edged razor blade on a glass surface might be better. Maybe a light coat of food grade silicone on the glass would help? I think I will listen a bit more and then use a different type of tape for comparison. I’m ripping some tunes to my Mac for later review, and my memory reinforcement.
JTA
Mr_Putty

Postby Peer Gynt » Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:20 pm

Dmm714 wrote:
1 (4).jpg

Here's my attempt with painters tape. I'm not sure that I want to get sticky gooey electrical tape on my platter unless I'm sure it's staying... The tape seems to get rid of some background noise with a nice increase in low-level detail.

I’m wondering if the felt mat, as comes stock with the Levinson 515 and the LP12, isn’t doing the same useful thing as the tape on the platter, ie decoupling the vinyl from the platter.

For many records, I really prefer this ... but it varies according to the pressing and the amount of warp.

I’ve got four configurations that I try on Classic platters.

Bare platter with Classic screw clamp.

Bare platter with Levinson weight.

Bare platter with HRX periphery ring and weight.

Platter with (really limp) Levinson felt mat.

You can always hear the difference. After doing this for a while, I’ve fallen into the habit of using just the Levinson felt mat. If it doesn’t give a good showing, I switch to the HRX ring and weight on the bare platter. One of these will usually turn out best in my system.
Peer Gynt

Postby phil_er_up » Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:05 pm

Another possibility is to use "Gaffers tape". It is used in the audio/videoindustry to hold down cables on stage etc. It does not leave a residue like Electric tape. It is expensive. Like $15 for a large roll. I have used it for years. Sometimes with long Cables runs from stage to SBD area. I tape the whole cable. It is good for holding down Mic stands by placing the gaffer tape on each leg of your stand. Some venues will not let you use "any tape" on stage unless its Gaffers tape.
phil_er_up

Previous

Return to Harry's Corner