Inverted bearing question

Inverted bearing question

Postby Lcoblentz3 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:44 pm

My annual maintenance is coming up on my Prime. If I decide to try and rotate the ball of the inverted bearing to a new position, how is this best accomplished? As I recall, it is pretty firmly seated into the shaft.
Prime #880, Soundsmith Aida, Yamaha C-80, Yamaha M-40, Campbell/Holtz Anthology speakers
Lcoblentz3

Re: Inverted bearing question

Postby Peer Gynt » Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:41 pm

There is no reason to do this. The mating surfaces currently in contact should be lapped and compatible.

Just do the recommended lube.
Peer Gynt

Postby Brf » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:24 am

The only reason to rotate or replace the inverted ball bearing is due to wear. If your ball bearing has developed a flat spot, it is more than likely that your Prime's PEEK thrust plate is worn as well and should also be replaced. A properly lubricated bearing is your best defense against premature wear.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Lcoblentz3 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:09 am

Thank you for the replies. I don’t anticipate any flat spotting at this point. I was thinking that if there was any, a slight rotation of the ball would provide a new surface. I had thought about the PEEK disk, but wasn’t certain what to do about that. I have performed annual maintenance and lubrication, so doubt there will be a problem. Thanks again!
Prime #880, Soundsmith Aida, Yamaha C-80, Yamaha M-40, Campbell/Holtz Anthology speakers
Lcoblentz3

Return to Support Forum