Nomad counter weight stuck

Postby Superleon72 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:02 pm

I have my VPI Nomad for over two years already, and got the Ortofon 2M Blue today. I installed the new stylus and used a force scale getting 2.0g rather than the recomended 1.8g. So I tried to adjust the counter weight, but I was not able to move it even though I removed the screw, the counter weight is somehow stuck into the arm. Have any of you guys experimented the same? If yes, how did you remove the counter weight?
Superleon72

Re: Nomad counter weight stuck

Postby Brf » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:37 am

I "believe" that the Normad's counter weight has an internal o-ring which is sticking the end stub.

First make sure the set screw grub is not engaged against the tonearm end stub. Second, try rotating the counter weight around the end tube i.e. not fore and aft. If this does not release the counter weight, use a hair dryer and gently heat the counter weight. Good luck
Brf
Site Admin

Postby durkn » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:13 am

I had the same problem when I just mounted a Zephyr on mine.
The Zephyr is 10G compared to the 4G 2M's, so I had to move the weight toward the back of the arm.

Make sure the set screw is out or loose.
I put some break free in the set screw hole & put a little between the tonearm & weight on each side.

I tried moving along the tonearm, then twisting the weight on the tonearm - no luck. I didn't want to twist it hard.

I then got a small bar clamp & put it on the weight & back of arm.
I put a pad on both clamp edges to protect the weight & back of arm.

It is kind of tricky because the clamp wants to move off the end of the arm because it's at an angle.
Just take your time with it & go easy...
durkn

Re: Nomad counter weight stuck

Postby Superleon72 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:58 pm

I was able to move the counter weight using the hair dryer as sugested by Brf, that trick worked....happy camper here :)
Thanks all for your help
Superleon72

Return to Support Forum