Fatboy Back Order

Re: Fatboy Back Order

Postby Mat » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:36 pm

Hey all, first sorry for being MIA again. Things have been rough with grandma. In and out of the hospitals so I haven't been doing too hot on social media and forums. Things are getting better so I hope to get back on here more again.

No we are not steel current orders for the 40th :) we always fill orders as we receive them. However, someone brought up a good point... get the order in and in with someone who you know put the order in with us. Unfortunately we have no idea of when a customer might have placed their order with their dealer, only when we get the order in from the dealer.

We do not have the printer in house. We are working with a very close friend/partner who actually was one of our original suppliers that helped us first produce the original JMW from back in the day. The printing process is long and can't be rushed. As Marc mentioned we have been selling through them faster than expected but we are continuing to make and ship them 8-)

We have been shipping Fatboys every week so get the orders placed and get your name on the list :)
Mat Weisfeld
President
VPI Industries Inc.
Mat
Site Admin

Postby Brf » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:13 am

Peer Gynt wrote:They are 3D Printed. That means a machine makes them one at a time. Or an array of N machines makes them N at a time.

I suspect that they’re in the mode of making maybe 8 or fewer a day per machine. Depositing the polymer is not a super fast process, and the Fatboy takes more polymer than the regular model.

The fastest way to get one is to place an order with a reliable dealer.

Does VPI outsource tonearms? I’ve thought they were printing these in house, if for no other reason than to protect their intellectual property.

Actually, the Fatboy has less 3D components/construction than a regular JMW 3D tonearm, due to the fact that the only 3D printed construction is from the headshell to the bearing bell ferrule. The Fatboy requires a much more complex and precision assembly than the regular 3D tonearms due to the marrying of 3D printed armwand and stainless steel components. In addition, the Fatboy, being the pinnacle of the JMW line-up, must pass a much higher quality control standards before being released. These all cost time.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Beck » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:40 pm

My dealer called today advising me that my 10 inch Fatboy shipped and will arrive next week. I placed my order four months ago. I'm excited!
Prime #16-67| Dual Pivot | Ortofon Cadenza Black | ADS | Ayre P-5xe phono preamp, K-5xe preamp, and V-5xe amp | Audio Sensibility Statement SE interconnects and Testament speaker cables | Magneplanar 3.7i | Mapleshade audio rack
Beck

Postby Dorian » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:00 pm

10ovr wrote:You also have to put in the mix 400 HW Anniversary TTs with Fat Boys on them ,,Do those come first ???

Harry is 400!?!?! He looks pretty good then, considering.
VPI Prime #959 & Outer Ring| SoundSmith MIMC Star | Herron VTPH-2A | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium HP Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Audio Sensibility Cables | Symposium Ultra | AQ Niagara 1000 | Stillpoints LPI | Focal Clear
Dorian

Postby miner » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:18 am

So an order placed a few weeks ago for a Fatboy may take 4 months to get?
McIntosh C2300 pre; McIntosh MC452 amp; McIntosh MCD500 SACD; VPI Aries 3 with 3D arm and Ortofon Cadenza Black MC cartridge; Manley Chinook SE; PS Audio P5 regulator; VPI SDS; Pioneer RT707 R2R; Nakamichi ZX-7 cass.; Sonus faber Cremona Auditor M; REL B1
miner

Postby Peer Gynt » Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:34 pm

Fastest way to one is to place an order today with a reliable dealer.

Backorder wait times are rarely linear. Who knows how long you’ll have wait. But it won’t come more quickly by not ordering.
Peer Gynt

Postby miner » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:20 am

I have placed an order with a reliable dealer, this time. Two months ago it was with SSD - what a mess that ended up being.
McIntosh C2300 pre; McIntosh MC452 amp; McIntosh MCD500 SACD; VPI Aries 3 with 3D arm and Ortofon Cadenza Black MC cartridge; Manley Chinook SE; PS Audio P5 regulator; VPI SDS; Pioneer RT707 R2R; Nakamichi ZX-7 cass.; Sonus faber Cremona Auditor M; REL B1
miner

Postby Johnny » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:30 am

I would have thought VPI could have given us an idea on how long of a wait time we are looking at for an order received today. Right now, we don't know if we are looking at 1-month or 6-months.
Johnny

Postby Stosh » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:54 pm

I ordered a 12 inch Fatboy through my local dealer on August 7th and it arrived yesterday. A friend ordered a 10 inch from the same dealer in June and it hasn’t arrived yet.
Stosh

Postby BillK » Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:19 pm

I've had one on order since the beginning of August, so…

If the backorder continues long enough, maybe it will save my dealer some hassle if I order a 40th Anniversary DD instead. :D
BillK

PreviousNext

Return to Mat's Corner