Resistance Loading...

Resistance Loading...

Postby VinBob » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:40 pm

Hello All,

What are the symptoms of moving the resistance loading say from 100 ohms to 470 ohms on the phono preamp? I believe the VAS Nova likes to be at around 500 ohm for optimum setting which is what Steve Leung recommends. Was curious as to what loading you guys have experience with and what one should expect to hear sonically when selecting from the various options.

Thanks in advance as always!

Cheers,
Vin.
VPI Prime | VAS Nova Special 0.4mV | Phoenix Engineering Eagle & Roadrunner | Moon 310LP/320S | Bryston BP-25 & 3BSST | Focal 826W Chorus V LE | Naim DAC-V1 | Rega Apollo-R
VinBob

Re: Resistance Loading...

Postby Peer Gynt » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:16 am

My experience is that it depends on the capacitance between the cartridge and the phono section, and it depends on the phono section itself as well.

My Krell solid state phono sections have been more finicky than my AR or CJ tube phono sections.

FWIW, I’m running my VAS Nova/HW .8 mV into an AR PH5 and have also run it into an AR SP20. Both sound good at HW’s recommended 500 Ohms with Audioquest MacKenzie or Linn Black (Mogami) interconnects.

In general, solid state preamps have been brighter at higher loads. The volume level is affected a bit too.

The AR units let you change loads on the fly with s push of a button.
Peer Gynt

Postby Lewisranchmike » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:23 am

Peer Gynt wrote:My experience is that it depends on the capacitance between the cartridge and the phono section, and it depends on the phono section itself as well.

My Krell solid state phono sections have been more finicky than my AR or CJ tube phono sections.

FWIW, I’m running my VAS Nova/HW .8 mV into an AR PH5 and have also run it into an AR SP20. Both sound good at HW’s recommended 500 Ohms with Audioquest MacKenzie or Linn Black (Mogami) interconnects.

In general, solid state preamps have been brighter at higher loads. The volume level is affected a bit too.

I have been running 500 ohm for most of the last year(VAS Nova .25mV) with great success. I made a few mods with silk string belt and Terrastones footers lately and have been bouncing between 500/1000. I also have AR gear and change on the fly.

Best,

Mike in Austin
VPI PRIME, VAS Nova Gold, TerraStone Footers, Symposium Seque Iso, Stillpoints LPI, VPI Periphery Ring, Eagle PSU, Roadrunner Tach, Audio Sensibility Statement, ARC Ref Phono 2SE, ARC Ref 5SE, McIntosh MC252, KimberKable 8TC, Vandersteen 3A Sig
Lewisranchmike

Postby VinBob » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:15 am

Peer Gynt wrote:My experience is that it depends on the capacitance between the cartridge and the phono section, and it depends on the phono section itself as well.

Thanks for the feedback Peer. Do you find you have to back off an go with a lower resistance (say 100 ohm) with your solid state phono? I think I am too much treble with my system but then again, I have the back of the arm a little higher on a 140g vinyl, which may not be helping either - so will test with a 180g LP later this evening.

Cheers,
Vin.
VPI Prime | VAS Nova Special 0.4mV | Phoenix Engineering Eagle & Roadrunner | Moon 310LP/320S | Bryston BP-25 & 3BSST | Focal 826W Chorus V LE | Naim DAC-V1 | Rega Apollo-R
VinBob

Postby Peer Gynt » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:20 am

If it’s a little hot, lowering R can help. As a general guideline, higher load - sounds like more detail and more treble. Lower load - sounds less shrill.

I found the Krell KSP-7B and the Linn Uphorik to both sound lousy until you dialed the cartridge in. This was true for several LOMC cartridges, but not specifically the VAS Nova/HW ( I have only run that with AR and CJ having sold the Uphorik and the Krell).

The Audio Research PH 5 and SP 20, and the Conrad Johnson TEA2MAX/ ET7 are MUCH less affected by loading choice in my experience. You could just about choose any loading, and if you didn’t know there were other choices, you could still enjoy it.

The old rule of thumb was that MC cartridges were not sensitive to capacitance so much, but that their impedance and their output level were so low that you needed to either step them up via a transformer, or design a phono section that would have sufficient gain and impedance to match them well for high fidelity.

Nowadays I think most LOMC users are pretty much happy with the idea that you can pick the load and gain to suit your taste. Speaker choices, and amp choices also impact what you hear. So ... have some fun trying different loads and see what you think.

I’m pretty happy with the 500, and I’ve tried loads from 50 to 47k. YMMV
Peer Gynt

Postby VinBob » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:18 pm

Thanks Peer!

I had another listen this evening, and I think I may have a little too much gain going on. TBH, I have it on the lowest settings for XLR on my Moon 310LP at 60dB. While it sounds really punchy and airy, I feel there is just a little too much gain and I can really hear the LP surface during the quiet passages more so than at 54dB, which is to be expected.

I think I need to drop down to 54dB which although seems a little on the low side for a 0.4mV cartridge, I may just have too much gain going on in my system between the Bryston preamp, Moon phono stage and all the way through to the turntable. Problem when I drop down to 54dB via the RCA connectors, there is definitely a slight veil that is presented with less oomph/sparkle... maybe what I am hearing is shrill? sorry, not sure how better to describe but essentially, I feel things are just a little too emphasized at the 10/11 o'clock setting using the XLR at 60dB gain.

I may play around with the resistance and drop back down to 100 ohm, but not sure this will help... I wish I could simply switch the loading/gain via a remote control! :)

EDIT: I just saw this comment from your earlier post: In general, solid state preamps have been brighter at higher loads. The volume level is affected a bit too.

So maybe dropping back to 100 ohm may help with my symptom? I am going to try this tomorrow evening as I am spent for the day! lol - Thanks again!

Cheers,
Vin.
VinBob

Return to Support Forum