After a year, I have great music again.

After a year, I have great music again.

Postby PSCHUT » Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:51 pm

IMG_0847 small.jpg
IMG_0847 small.jpg (68.67 KiB) Viewed 540 times
turntable with sub grid.jpg
turntable with sub grid.jpg (61.96 KiB) Viewed 540 times
Hi VPI Hi Forum,

After more than a year, I have a fantastic sounding system again. Partly because of new speakers I build, but also because analog is spinning again.

The last time I was here, I had massive static problems. Every time I removed an LP from my Aries 3 a massive "bang" would put my power-amp into production.
In another part of this forum, Harry mentioned a massive Donut bearing cover that would help with this. Via some de-tours I received one (thanks a lot Harry).
At the same time I was getting more and more dissatisfied with my speakers. So early 2017 after a friend asked me to help him with a new set of speakers I decided to take the plunge and design and built a new speaker set. This time I wanted to make the best speaker I could imagine.
Things worked out way better than anticipated, but it was also the most intense and time-consuming hobby project ever. Long story short; it sounds fantastic.
If you are interested, there is a thread of this project here:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-wa ... world.html

It sounds so god that I want to upgrade the analog front end as well. The VPI Aries 3 with upgraded platter and periphery ring stays.
However, I am looking at a new cartridge (it is a Grado Reference Master MM). most likely an MC one and a new dedicated phono-pre amp.
Not sure, what to do on the cartridge side, much to chose from. The link that advises on forum is broken by the way.

The static 'bang' is gone with the earthed donut and the new higher wall mounted structure that holds the Aries is much nicer than sitting on my knees in front of it.

Take care,
Peter
PSCHUT

Re: After a year, I have great music again.

Postby MMMC » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:35 am

Congratulations!!!!!!!

Fantastic craftsmanship on your speakers.

I don't know the issue with the Recommended Cartridges Topic, but there have been several posts recently on cartridges with users expressed opinions on their performance and satisfaction if you scan through. I apologize for not being more specific and with connecting links.

MMMC
One of the last HR-X production/ 3DR 12" arm/ ZYX Universe II LOMC with Copper wire/ RCM Sensor 2 phono preamp/ Silver Audio Appasionata IC/ Audio Sensibiity Statement Silver Phono V2 IC
MMMC

Re: After a year, I have great music again.

Postby PSCHUT » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:16 am

Thanks MMMC,

In FAQ: Check Here First!
the link:

What Cartridge Should I use?
Here is VPI's recommendation: https://www.vpiindustries.com/cartridge.html
does not work.

Peter
PSCHUT

Return to Customer Pictures