The VPI House

The VPI House

Postby Mat » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:06 pm

Hey all, between Shyla and the construction of the new VPI House/Showroom it has been extra exhausting! (and a super secret anniversary turntable that Harry is just spilling the beans left and right over :P )

ANYWAY, wanted to give everyone the heads up that we are nearly finished with the house and wanted to get feedback on what type of systems YOU would like to see featured on live display?

The current plan is to follow the same model of the old house...

starter system - good system - better system - "best" system - "WTF what do you mean the cables are the same price as my car" system
Mat Weisfeld
President
VPI Industries Inc.
Mat
Site Admin

Re: The VPI House

Postby Peer Gynt » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:51 pm

It would be nice to see a few nearly identical systems where the only difference was in the turntable.
Peer Gynt

Postby Marc » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:18 pm

Peer Gynt wrote:It would be nice to see a few nearly identical systems where the only difference was in the turntable.

We had a setup in the old VPI House that had a Prime Scout, Prime, and Prime Signature all using the same gear down to the cartridge and cables. I'm hoping we do something similar in this house as well!
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
VPI HR-X, Fatboy, & Voyager Phono| Ortofon A95| Musical Fidelity M6si | KEF LS50 in Frosted Black | AudioQuest Victoria & Rocket 88
Marc
Site Admin

Postby Dorian » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:47 pm

Marc wrote:
Peer Gynt wrote:It would be nice to see a few nearly identical systems where the only difference was in the turntable.

We had a setup in the old VPI House that had a Prime Scout, Prime, and Prime Signature all using the same gear down to the cartridge and cables. I'm hoping we do something similar in this house as well!

I see you have a Fatboy now too Marc! The perks of being a VPI employee hey? ;)
VPI Prime #959 & Outer Ring| SoundSmith MIMC Star | Herron VTPH-2A | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium HP Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Audio Sensibility Cables | Symposium Ultra | AQ Niagara 1000 | Stillpoints LPI | Focal Clear
Dorian

Postby Buck115 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:41 pm

Mat wrote:starter system - good system - better system - "best" system - "WTF what do you mean the cables are the same price as my car" system

LMAO!!!!!! :lol:
2 Channel: VPI The Classic | Ortofon Quintet Blue | Sunfire Symphonic Reference Preamp | B&K Reference 200.2 | Denon DCD-1650AR, DRM-800 | Sonos Connect | Klipsch KLF-20s | Monster HTS 5100 | AQ King Cobra ICs, Gibraltar Bi-wires
Buck115

Postby BillK » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:19 am

Mat wrote:"WTF what do you mean the cables are the same price as my car" system

Unless you drive a Porsche 911 Turbo, I'd ask why you are relegating the system to inexpensive cables. (Not even kidding here; check out MIT's pricing sometime, you can spend six figures on cables.)
BillK

Postby elader » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:12 pm

VPI Prime, BenzMicro Glider, VPI SDS, Cinemag SUT
Audible Illusions Modulus 3A, Primaluna Prologue 5
REGA Apollo R, PS Audio Digital Link III DAC
KEF R300, pangea stands, SVS SB12 sub
elader

Postby Mr_Putty » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:24 am

I recently visited PS Audio in Boulder, CO. They welcome visitors and are very friendly. This was a worthwhile visit. Kevin gave a generous walkthrough of the entire operation. Everything they manufacture is sold before it is built. They have an interesting listening room (moderate size) with an emphasis on digital source material and streaming audio for evaluation. They have a Clear Audio turntable but it was not setup when I was there. Their setup really drove home the importance of good listening room acoustics. I suggest that VPI have similar sources for comparison, as potential customers wanting convenience might change their mind after hearing what a good record can do on a VPI table. I can tell you that the PS Audio Stevie Ray Vaughn CD did not sound at all like he did live. I was a bit surprised their state of the art system (no joke) left me cold with the SRV CD. Another suggestion for the VPI house would be to have two identical records, one cleaned the easy way with brushes, and the other cleaned with a USM, for comparison. So, a somewhat casual digital setup with a more serious TT setup in the same room for direct comparison would be something I would think is mandatory to get the basics started. Then the house should have at least another (preferably more) rooms for the serious audiophile to evaluate the top three cartridges for VPI tables and different arms, with several speaker choice examples.

BTW, PS Audio will be moving across the street in about a month (more space), so a “heads up” to any potential visitors. They Will eventually have a new sound listening room. And they said they will be manufacturing their own speakers. Pretty exciting changes...Our tour guide Kevin, has a VPI table. Music to my ears!
Mr_Putty

Postby EdAInWestOC » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:59 am

How about this system:

1) VPI Titan
2) Ortofon Anna
3) ARC Ref Phono 10 Preamp
4) ARC Ref 10 Linestage Preamp
5) ARC 750SE Power Amp
6) Magnepan 30.7 Speakers
7) Kimber 12TC Speaker Cables
8) ICs Kimber Select KS-1030
9) Phono IC AQ WEL Signature
We don't shush around here!
Life is analog...digital is just samples thereof
http://www.edsstuff.org
Prime|3 Drive Belts|2nd Pivot|ADS|Ortofon Windfeld Ti|AQ Leopard|Sky 30|Liberty B2B-1|MW-1
EdAInWestOC

Postby Letsmakeadeal » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:27 pm

EdAInWestOC wrote:How about this system:

1) VPI Titan
2) Ortofon Anna
3) ARC Ref Phono 10 Preamp
4) ARC Ref 10 Linestage Preamp
5) ARC 750SE Power Amp
6) Magnepan 30.7 Speakers
7) Kimber 12TC Speaker Cables
8) ICs Kimber Select KS-1030
9) Phono IC AQ WEL Signature

From what I have read so far, the jury is still out on the 30.7s.
Letsmakeadeal

Next

Return to Mat's Corner