Missing Something

Missing Something

Postby Stringreen » Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:01 pm

just wondering Harry.....if you choose to respond...... My turntable is a Superscoutmaster/rim drive/Classic platter, 3d 10 with 2nd pivot Ortofon Winfield cart.....what table should I look at for a worthwhile step up Thanks
Stringreen

Re: Missing Something

Postby Peer Gynt » Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:14 pm

I look forward to HW’s response.

http://www.vpiindustries.com/ssm

The SSM looks hard to improve on.

If you’re missing something, how does your cartridge look? It may be tired, although it’s a very nice model.

Cartridges age as well as wear. If the diamond is deformed from wear, or if the suspension is long in the tooth, a new cartridge might be a worthy consideration. I’ve seen suspensions “work” for 20 years, but they do not sound “as new.” We get used to them because the aging changes sonics slowly.
Peer Gynt

Postby Stringreen » Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:09 pm

Thanks for the suggestion Peter......I don't hear mistracking, or anything untoward, but your advice is valid. The only way to really be assured of the cartridge is to send it back to Ortofon, or Soundsmith. The thought of the tedious hours of properly aligning the cartridge upon its return makes me shutter. If I hear something blatantly wrong I'll bite the bullet.
Stringreen

Postby Harry » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:46 am

So I wake up Monday morning and get the tough questions!!

For me the best is the Direct Drive, I have gotten used to that pureness of tone, that being said the SSM RD is one of the best tables we ever made. I just have a feeling the new 40th Ann. direct drive with 12" Fat Boy is going to the the killer with even better speed control than the older model, the Fat Boy gimbal which is for me the best arm we have ever made, and the new noiseless power supply.

All that being said the SSM RD is so good it may not be worth the energy and aggravation to change unless you are also at the point where a change will be fulfilling, as long as it is better, even if it is 10%. I use a Classic Direct in my main system, my engineer just took home the new DD for the weekend, came back Monday and said he has never heard anything like it and he uses a perfectly set up Classic 3.

Tough one.

HW
Harry
Admin

Postby Packgrog » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:01 am

Did Papa Weisfeld just spill a bushel of beans? ;)
VPI Scout Jr., Audiomods Classic, Audio Technica AT33PTG/II, Phoenix Engineering Falcon w/ DIY Arduino Uno Tachometer, Musical Surroundings Nova Phonomena, RME Babyface Pro
Packgrog

Postby Harry » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:50 am

It's a very big bag so all the beans are hard to get out.

HW
Harry
Admin

Postby Mat » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:02 pm

If I had a marketing/PR team HW would turn them all into alcoholics :lol:
Mat Weisfeld
President
VPI Industries Inc.
Mat
Site Admin

Postby Letsmakeadeal » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:41 pm

Mat wrote:If I had a marketing/PR team HW would turn them all into alcoholics :lol:

Cheers to all! Drink Up!

Harry has made this whole VPI experience fun from day one for me. What is life without a little controversy, leaking, or dribbling....To me it adds a bit of spice and intrigue to what can be pretty boring on a day to day basis around here....

My bet is a bunch of guys including me might hold off on another analog purchase to see the new goodies you guys have up your sleeves....

A new Direct Drive at a price mere mortals might afford
A new best speed controller that is the most precise ever made
A new 14" tonearm - man I can't wait to see that
A new noiseless power supply
I think I am missing one

Live long and Dribble Harry - You are my analog hero! Seriously :lol:
Letsmakeadeal

Postby Stringreen » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:37 pm

Thanks for the information - and the honesty, Harry ....That's why I continue to wear my black VPI T- shirt....:)
Stringreen

Postby MMMC » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:56 pm

Stringreen wrote:Thanks for the information - and the honesty, Harry ....That's why I continue to wear my black VPI T- shirt....:)

Harry and Mat,

How about a new production run of black VPI T-shirts of heavy(thick) cotton? That shouldn't upset any of the marketing staff. It could be a great marketing tool. In fact, I would like to be the first to pre-order, and pay for two! List them on the VPI products page.

MMMC
One of the last HR-X production/ 3DR 12" arm/ ZYX Universe II LOMC with Copper wire/ RCM Sensor 2 phono preamp/ Silver Audio Appasionata IC/ Audio Sensibiity Statement Silver Phono V2 IC
MMMC

Next

Return to Harry's Corner