Terrastone Platfoms

Terrastone Platfoms

Postby jmcox » Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:42 pm

I would be curious to hear if anyone has any feedback concerning Edensound Terrastone Platforms. I have a set of TerraCone footers from Edensound on the way already for my Avenger (not yet arrived), and am wondering whether or not the platform might (or might not) be an additive enhancement. The surface that I'm utilizing for my table is a SolidSteel wall mounted unit.
VPI Avenger/Transfiguration Proteus, VAS Nova Gold .25, VAS .30 MONO/Ring Clamp/SDS/EAR MC4 SUT/Manley Chinook SE phono/Primaluna Dialogue Premium preamp/McIntosh MC 40 mono blocks/Ampsandsound Cornscallas/Kimber Select all cables, Furman Reference 15i
jmcox

Re: Terrastone Platfoms

Postby Stringreen » Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:56 pm

For ME and MY system, Terrastones were much more colored than just Bearpaws. (I tried all the version of Terrastones) I suppose you just have to try it in your own system to decide
Stringreen

Postby thegage » Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:26 pm

I have a platform that I used with my TNT. It had a cutout for the motor, to reduce vibration migration. I replaced the Terrastone with a Symposium Ultra, but I can't really say that one is better than the other, as the time between taking the TNT off one and setting it up on the other means any audio-sound memory is lost. I do like the look and feel of the Terrastone better--something about that milled black slab--so maybe that influences my opinion.

John K.
thegage

Postby jmcox » Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:23 pm

Thanks John. I expect to talk to Dan at EdenSound this evening, so I guess I'll see what he has to say. Dan said in an earlier email that dampening benefits with the TerraCones and the platform combined "would be greater the sum of their parts". So, in his estimation, I would receive a great deal of added benefit. My concern is that although my SolidSteel wall mounted platform is directly screwed into the wood wall studs, my house is constructed via pier and beam foundation - not concrete slab on grade - so I can easily imagine that my house is really in essence a giant vibrating box (!) Hence, my concern !!

As an aside, what thickness did you choose for your Terrastone platform? . . . . I have to say that I can imagine the Terrastone would look fairly cool on top of the SolidSteel unit (!)
VPI Avenger/Transfiguration Proteus, VAS Nova Gold .25, VAS .30 MONO/Ring Clamp/SDS/EAR MC4 SUT/Manley Chinook SE phono/Primaluna Dialogue Premium preamp/McIntosh MC 40 mono blocks/Ampsandsound Cornscallas/Kimber Select all cables, Furman Reference 15i
jmcox

Postby thegage » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:09 pm

It's either 2 or 3 inches, I'm away from home right now and can't measure. I do know it is the plain mill finish.

John K.
thegage

Postby Packgrog » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:54 am

Dan is great. Just got some Bearpaws from him this weekend. I did a couple of recordings so that I could compare the effects of the Bearpaws vs the stock Delrin cones. I should know the results later today. Certainly a lot heavier! :P
VPI Scout Jr., Audiomods Classic, Audio Technica AT33PTG/II, Phoenix Engineering Falcon w/ DIY Arduino Uno Tachometer, Musical Surroundings Nova Phonomena, RME Babyface Pro
Packgrog

Postby Dorian » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:07 am

Packgrog wrote:Dan is great. Just got some Bearpaws from him this weekend. I did a couple of recordings so that I could compare the effects of the Bearpaws vs the stock Delrin cones. I should know the results later today. Certainly a lot heavier! :P

Please post a photo of the table with the bearpaws installed when you get a chance Packgrog.
VPI Prime #959 & Outer Ring| SoundSmith MIMC Star | Herron VTPH-2A | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium HP Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Audio Sensibility Cables | Symposium Ultra | AQ Niagara 1000 | Stillpoints LPI | Focal Clear
Dorian

Postby Packgrog » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:32 am

packscout.jpg
packscout.jpg (1.16 MiB) Viewed 798 times

paw_cones.jpg
paw_cones.jpg (1.35 MiB) Viewed 798 times

bearfeet.jpg
bearfeet.jpg (1.15 MiB) Viewed 798 times

ripping_with_paws.jpg
ripping_with_paws.jpg (1.15 MiB) Viewed 798 times

It didn't take long to spot the differences in the recordings done with the stock feet vs the Bearpaws. The Bearpaws provide much improved soundstage depth, less noise and grain in the highs. Just overall a more natural presentation. My one concern was with Bryan Ferry - Bete Noire where it felt like way too much low end (it's got some good bass thump), but it seems like it might just be due to lower noise allowing the bass to stand out better. At least based on first impressions. Overall, I'm liking these quite a bit more. I have no idea how they'd stack up against the TerraCones or higher end VPI feet, but these definitely do the trick for those of us with modest budgets.

(Note that the speakers are NOT on when I record with the laptop on top of the speaker, my monitoring with with headphones plugged directly into the Babyface Pro).
VPI Scout Jr., Audiomods Classic, Audio Technica AT33PTG/II, Phoenix Engineering Falcon w/ DIY Arduino Uno Tachometer, Musical Surroundings Nova Phonomena, RME Babyface Pro
Packgrog

Postby Dorian » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:02 am

Cool, thanks for posting. I've been thinking about trying these on my Prime, the one concern I have is purely aesthetic in that their gold color won't match the rest of the system...

They look good in your photos and more importantly, I'm glad they provide a sonic improvement.
VPI Prime #959 & Outer Ring| SoundSmith MIMC Star | Herron VTPH-2A | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium HP Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Audio Sensibility Cables | Symposium Ultra | AQ Niagara 1000 | Stillpoints LPI | Focal Clear
Dorian

Postby Packgrog » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:11 am

Dorian wrote:Cool, thanks for posting. I've been thinking about trying these on my Prime, the one concern I have is purely aesthetic in that their gold color won't match the rest of the system...

The TerraCones have way less "bling factor". They would be more fitting a swap for a Prime than the Bearpaws. Still a tiny bit of brass, but not nearly as much. And the best TerraCones aren't really any any more expensive than Mini HRX feet, and less if you include the upgraded inserts. Which would sound better, I honestly don't know.
Packgrog

Next

Return to General Audio