SoundStage Direct

Re: SoundStage Direct

Postby mreeter » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:24 pm

Peer Gynt wrote:I have come back to VPI after a 30 year hiatus. I was fortunate 30+ years ago to sell VPI products, as well as Clearaudio, Souther, Dynavector, New York Audio Labs, and a few others. This was a hobby level activity, in my spare time. It was not my livelihood.

Recently, when I needed a lighter counterweight for my JMW 10 3D Printed tonearm, since there are no dealers near me, I called VPI. They would not sell me one, but referred me to one of the internet dealers.

I googled and quickly discovered that the recommended dealer did not stock what I wanted.
So I looked at other internet dealers, and that is how I found SSD. They did not stock most of my order, but they had the counterweight. So I gave them the full order. They intended to delay shipment of the counterweight until the other stuff was delivered to them. After several days I figured out that this was what was going on. So I left both voice and email “messages of encouragement.”

They split the order and I got the counterweight a few days later. The rest arrived after about two more weeks.

I recently contacted another small dealer over the Internet to try to buy a dual pivot kit. None in stock. And VPI will not drop ship to support these guys. So I had to chase around with other dealers until I found a guy with one in stock.

My point, I guess, is that this is a rough business. There aren’t that many serious customers. The margins are small. Models are modified so often that dealers don’t want to stock spare parts that are not useful for several models. And VPI won’t drop ship.

It would be nice if, for customers with no dealers within 50 miles, VPI would allow direct ordering at full retail and with customer payed shipping. That would not undercut legitimate local dealers. And it would be great support for the boondocks based VPI aficionados, like me.

Exactly! The closest VPI Dealer to my location is a 4 hour round-trip. While I've never visited them, I know from emails that they have few Tables in stock. Of course they can order one, but for me to see and hear, say an Avenger, or a Prime Signature...who knows how far I would have to travel.

I understand the need for a Dealer, but 99% of my entire set-up has been purchased on-line, and will continue to be.
VPI Classic Signature SE
VPI SDS
VPI 16.5
Modwright LS-100 Linestage Preamp
Rogue Audio Ares "Magnum" Phono Preamp
VAS Audio Citation II Monoblock Amps
Polk Audio SDA SRS 3.1TL
Dual Rythmik F8 Subs
MIT S1 Shotgun/Audio Sensibility Wires
mreeter

Postby Peer Gynt » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:32 pm

Unless you have a storefront with good walk-in trade, used turntables are hard to sell once you break through the $1000 price point.

You can’t be too generous in trade if you want to stay in business.
Peer Gynt

Postby TomD » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:46 pm

Sorry to hear this about Soundstage Direct. They always treated me well.

I will say that their practice of charging your credit card for full price before shipment always gave me the feeling they may be in some financial trouble. Most online retailers don't charge until a product actually ships, or just take a reasonable deposit to secure the order.

At any rate, I wish them only the best and hope Seth and crew land on their feet.
VPI Prime Signature w/SDS, VAS Nova Sig., Parasound JC3 Phono, Parasound P7 Pre, Pass Labs XA30.8 Amplifier, Salk Exotica Monitors, 2X Salk 15" Subwoofers
TomD

Postby Jprod » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:49 pm

mreeter wrote:
Peer Gynt wrote:I have come back to VPI after a 30 year hiatus. I was fortunate 30+ years ago to sell VPI products, as well as Clearaudio, Souther, Dynavector, New York Audio Labs, and a few others. This was a hobby level activity, in my spare time. It was not my livelihood.

Recently, when I needed a lighter counterweight for my JMW 10 3D Printed tonearm, since there are no dealers near me, I called VPI. They would not sell me one, but referred me to one of the internet dealers.

I googled and quickly discovered that the recommended dealer did not stock what I wanted.
So I looked at other internet dealers, and that is how I found SSD. They did not stock most of my order, but they had the counterweight. So I gave them the full order. They intended to delay shipment of the counterweight until the other stuff was delivered to them. After several days I figured out that this was what was going on. So I left both voice and email “messages of encouragement.”

They split the order and I got the counterweight a few days later. The rest arrived after about two more weeks.

I recently contacted another small dealer over the Internet to try to buy a dual pivot kit. None in stock. And VPI will not drop ship to support these guys. So I had to chase around with other dealers until I found a guy with one in stock.

My point, I guess, is that this is a rough business. There aren’t that many serious customers. The margins are small. Models are modified so often that dealers don’t want to stock spare parts that are not useful for several models. And VPI won’t drop ship.

It would be nice if, for customers with no dealers within 50 miles, VPI would allow direct ordering at full retail and with customer payed shipping. That would not undercut legitimate local dealers. And it would be great support for the boondocks based VPI aficionados, like me.

Exactly! The closest VPI Dealer to my location is a 4 hour round-trip. While I've never visited them, I know from emails that they have few Tables in stock. Of course they can order one, but for me to see and hear, say an Avenger, or a Prime Signature...who knows how far I would have to travel.

I understand the need for a Dealer, but 99% of my entire set-up has been purchased on-line, and will continue to be.

Agree 100%. I cant remember the last time I bought from a local dealer. Usually you get inflated prIces and an inflated attitude to go with it. The business model has changed drastically with online etailers and honestly I have received exemplary service from most online retailers. If VPI would ever enforce buying from my local dealer I would think twice about buying another VPI table.
VPI Prime with ortofon 2m black, Manley Chinook phono preamp, Wyred4sound STP-SE preamp, parasound halo a21 amp, Ascend acoustics tower speakers with RAAL ribbon tweeters, audio sensibility signature cables
Jprod

Postby spinblackcircle » Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:10 pm

So the latest rumor/update is SSD has been sold to the company that owns Importcds.com and who also bought PopMarket.com.
VPI Prime/Grado Reference Master, VPI 16.5 RCM, Audio Research LP1, Audio Research VSI60, Martin Logan Electromotion ESL, ClearDay and Audio Sensibility Cables
spinblackcircle

Postby Cat5plus » Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:49 pm

So the latest rumor/update is SSD has been sold to the company that owns Importcds.com and who also bought PopMarket.com.

I HEARD THE SAME. Still don't answer the phone though.
VPI Classic Signature 3D, Lyra Titan i, Ortofon MC A90, Eagle, Roadrunner, Pass Labs X-1 pre, Pass Labs X ono Phono, Pass Labs X 250.5, dcs/Berkeley digital, B&W 805D, JL Audio Fathom sub, Cables: Nordost, Siltech.
Cat5plus

Postby Johnny » Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:05 pm

Regaining consumer confidence is a tough hill to climb, especially considering that purchasing only involves a mouse click.
Johnny

Postby leftside » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:41 pm

Sorry to hear about SSD. The open box deals were great - that's how I got my Prime Signature. Seth also helped me with shipping arrangements.
TT VPI Prime Signature/Benz Micro LP-S DACs Lampizator GA, Lampizator Euforia DSD Preamps Mac C500T, Mac MX121 Amps Mac MC75 * 2 60th Anniv, Mac MC205, Glenn 300B Speakers Dynaudio C1 Platinum, B&W 804S Headphones LCD-4
leftside

Postby Jprod » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:32 pm

I am bummed about the end of full value trade ins. I was thinking about going from prime to prime signature.
VPI Prime with ortofon 2m black, Manley Chinook phono preamp, Wyred4sound STP-SE preamp, parasound halo a21 amp, Ascend acoustics tower speakers with RAAL ribbon tweeters, audio sensibility signature cables
Jprod

Postby edw » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:32 pm

adeep42 wrote:Another SSD possible internal and financial problem, Seth's very aggressive trade-in policies might have left him with a huge and hard to move out inventory of used turntables and other components. This could very likely lead to a financial implosion.

I always wondered where all those used TTs went after being purchased in trade by SSD. Hope it all works out in the end.
edw

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat