stillpoints lpi or periphery ring

Re: stillpoints lpi or periphery ring

Postby Brf » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:47 am

VinBob wrote:Thanks Zach - I guess my experience is very similar to yours - I expected more of an improvement but it certainly doesn’t sound worse. I’ll listen some more but like you, I could easily live with the VPI weight but based on most people’s feedback that this the way to go, I will most likely stick with it....

Edit: Just listened a little more and even had my daughter listen to see if her hearing is better than mine - we both came to the conclusion that the Stillpoints presented things with a little more control and taking the bright edginess of the sound away with maybe a touch more bass control - but I must admit, I am having second thoughts on whether I will keep it especially given the cost...

Cheers,
Vin.

The LP1 is not an in your face improvement, but reveals its benefit over time in a very subtle but distinct manner. I have "a lot" of clamps and weights in which the LP1 has rendered them obsolete.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby VinBob » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:46 am

Brf wrote:
VinBob wrote:Thanks Zach - I guess my experience is very similar to yours - I expected more of an improvement but it certainly doesn’t sound worse. I’ll listen some more but like you, I could easily live with the VPI weight but based on most people’s feedback that this the way to go, I will most likely stick with it....

Edit: Just listened a little more and even had my daughter listen to see if her hearing is better than mine - we both came to the conclusion that the Stillpoints presented things with a little more control and taking the bright edginess of the sound away with maybe a touch more bass control - but I must admit, I am having second thoughts on whether I will keep it especially given the cost...

Cheers,
Vin.

The LP1 is not an in your face improvement, but reveals its benefit over time in a very subtle but distinct manner. I have "a lot" of clamps and weights in which the LP1 has rendered them obsolete.

Thanks Brf - I'll do some more listening with some different LP's - One thing I forgot to mention, is that I am not testing it with the Periphery ring in place - I am guessing that using in combination with the Periphery ring may bring some additional and possibly more obvious improvements as opposed to using the LP1 on its own? Was this other people's experience in that the improvements are a little more obvious when using in combination with the periphery ring?

Cheers,
Vin.
VPI Prime | VAS Nova Special 0.4mV | Phoenix Engineering Eagle & Roadrunner | Sutherland 20/20 | Bryston BP-25 & 3BSST | Focal 826W Chorus V LE | SVS SB-1000 | Naim DAC-V1 | Rega Apollo-R
VinBob

Postby Jprod » Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:58 pm

I went with neither but finally went ahead and purchased a fozgometer and an analogue productions test LP. Wow what a difference! The micro detail on the lps pop out and it just sounds right. Best $300 I ever spent. So the moral of the story for me was deal with the basics first before you start adding on accessories. I thought of a Usb microscope next but there are too many technical factors in that measurement that could compromise accuracy..
The fozgometer was easy to use and made a big difference in my system.
VPI Prime with ortofon 2m black, Manley Chinook phono preamp, Wyred4sound STP-SE preamp, parasound halo a21 amp, Ascend acoustics tower speakers with RAAL ribbon tweeters, audio sensibility signature cables
Jprod

Postby Brf » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:22 am

Jprod wrote:I went with neither but finally went ahead and purchased a fozgometer and an analogue productions test LP. Wow what a difference! The micro detail on the lps pop out and it just sounds right. Best $300 I ever spent. So the moral of the story for me was deal with the basics first before you start adding on accessories. I thought of a Usb microscope next but there are too many technical factors in that measurement that could compromise accuracy..
The fozgometer was easy to use and made a big difference in my system.

Proper set up is the best and most affordable performance upgrade available.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby leftside » Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:44 pm

@Jpod have my Foz and Analogue Productions test LP arriving next week. Looking forward to giving them a try - and am even happier I'll just need to adjust the tiny screw on the dual-pivot rather than using the counterweight and messing with the VTF.
TT VPI Prime Signature/Benz Micro LP-S DACs Lampizator GA, Lampizator Euforia DSD Preamps Mac C500T, Mac MX121 Amps Mac MC75 * 2 60th Anniv, Mac MC205, Glenn 300B Speakers Dynaudio C1 Platinum, B&W 804S Headphones LCD-4
leftside

Postby Jprod » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:02 pm

leftside wrote:@Jpod have my Foz and Analogue Productions test LP arriving next week. Looking forward to giving them a try - and am even happier I'll just need to adjust the tiny screw on the dual-pivot rather than using the counterweight and messing with the VTF.

Let me know how it goes. It was eye opening for me.
VPI Prime with ortofon 2m black, Manley Chinook phono preamp, Wyred4sound STP-SE preamp, parasound halo a21 amp, Ascend acoustics tower speakers with RAAL ribbon tweeters, audio sensibility signature cables
Jprod

Previous

Return to Support Forum