Servicing the Unipivot Tonearm Bearing

Servicing the Unipivot Tonearm Bearing

Postby Cat5plus » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:19 pm

I do know you should never touch the male unipivot spike as the oils from your fingers may cause corrosion. That being said, does anyone ever clean their bearing? Does the male or female side of the bearing degrade or corrode over time even in a clean smoke free environment? If true. What is the recommended cleaning method? And how often should you do it? I searched the forum but was unable to find a delimitative answer.
Thanks
VPI Classic Signature 3D, Lyra Titan i, Ortofon MC A90, Eagle, Roadrunner, Pass Labs X-1 pre, Pass Labs X ono Phono, Pass Labs X 250.5, dcs/Berkeley digital, B&W 805D, JL Audio Fathom sub, Cables: Nordost, Siltech.
Cat5plus

Re: Servicing the Unipivot Tonearm Bearing

Postby seamonster » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:10 pm

About once a month I'll take a small wad of new 000 steel wool and enclose the spike within it, and wipe upward, shifting around the spike from 12 o'clock, to 3 o'clock etc.
This also allows me to check that the point is true, as any bend would snag the wool. I inspect the cup within the tonearm with a flashlight and magnifying glass. The cup and spike always appear pristine.
seamonster

Postby Dorian » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:55 pm

seamonster wrote:About once a month I'll take a small wad of new 000 steel wool and enclose the spike within it, and wipe upward, shifting around the spike from 12 o'clock, to 3 o'clock etc.
This also allows me to check that the point is true, as any bend would snag the wool. I inspect the cup within the tonearm with a flashlight and magnifying glass. The cup and spike always appear pristine.

Now that is what I call attention to detail, both in your procedure and the description hereof. Well done SM.
VPI Prime #959 & Outer Ring| SoundSmith MIMC Star | Herron VTPH-2A | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium HP Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Audio Sensibility Cables | Symposium Ultra | AQ Niagara 1000 | Stillpoints LPI | Focal Clear
Dorian

Postby Cat5plus » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:12 am

Thank You SM, Well Said ! I will do just that!
VPI Classic Signature 3D, Lyra Titan i, Ortofon MC A90, Eagle, Roadrunner, Pass Labs X-1 pre, Pass Labs X ono Phono, Pass Labs X 250.5, dcs/Berkeley digital, B&W 805D, JL Audio Fathom sub, Cables: Nordost, Siltech.
Cat5plus

Postby seamonster » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:22 am

I should have mentioned that I do this very gently, applying little pressure to the wad of wool, and carefully (CAREFULLY) vacuum the bearing area afterward, prior to re-seating the tonearm. I've never actually noticed any sort of dust accumulating from this process, but, it makes me feel better.
seamonster

Postby Brf » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:26 am

Since the bearing spike and cup form the ground path from the tonearm wand to the junction box, I will occasionally clean the interface with a contact cleaner like Caig DeoxIT using a Q-tip.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby seamonster » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:32 am

Good idea, hadn't thought of that.
seamonster

Return to Support Forum