Anyone tried a Sugar Cube yet?

Anyone tried a Sugar Cube yet?

Postby Bill Stevenson » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:59 pm

Mikey Fremer says good things. Wondering if anyone here has tried one yet?
Bill Stevenson

Re: Anyone tried a Sugar Cube yet?

Postby spinblackcircle » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:01 pm

VPI Prime/Grado Reference Master, VPI 16.5 RCM, Audio Research LP1, Audio Research VSI60, Martin Logan Electromotion ESL, ClearDay and Audio Sensibility Cables
spinblackcircle

Postby JimTimP » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:29 pm

Well, the only way to eliminate clicks, pops and other noise from an LP is to do so in a digital domain and allow software to buffer, edit and eliminate them. So, if my LPs are going to be digitized, why wouldn't I just stream or go CD?

There's an old saying, there's no such thing as a free lunch. There's a trade off in the Sugar Cube somewhere. You may eliminate pop and clicks, but do you introduce digital artifacting?

One thing about freelance reviewers (like MF). They are supported both with hardware directly by vendors and financially by magazines which in turn are supported by the same vendors. Not sure of the total and complete objectivity.
Teac X-2000R, Otari MX-5050 BIII-2, Manley Stingray II Amp, Yaqin SD-32A CD Player, Zestos Andros PS 1 Phono Preamp, VPI Prime Sig, ADS & 16.5, Soundsmith Voice & Lyra Delos on own arms, Zaph ZRT 2.5 Spkr, Homemade 10" Subs, PS Audio P5
JimTimP

Postby 10ovr » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:53 pm

I have been thinking about getting one,,I have a few thousand recorders that are VG or VG+ that can't be replaced with out spending a lot of money,,,They have a few pops on them that drives me crazy ,, Sugar Cube would be the cheap fix,,,,
10ovr

Postby gene9p » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:03 pm

what's vinyl without a few pops and cracks?..a cd...LOL

I 'll take a little noise with my playback. :P
CLASSIC 2 WALNUT,w CLASSIC 3 ARM, SDS
HW SPECIAL VAS NOVA .4v
MANLEY CHINOOOK
Vinnie Rossie LIO integrated
KRELL CD Player
BRYSTON BDA-1
HARBETH 7es-3
MORROW AUDIO + AUDIO SENSIBILITY Cables
WAYNE'S OUTER RING
gene9p

Postby Jprod » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:27 pm

I agree with Gene. I also would not want to introduce yet another piece of equipment in the chain. If I want pop free I plug in my headphones into my woo audio wa7 and listen to Roon through my Mac
VPI Prime with ortofon 2m black, Manley Chinook phono preamp, Wyred4sound STP-SE preamp, parasound halo a21 amp, Ascend acoustics tower speakers with RAAL ribbon tweeters, audio sensibility signature cables
Jprod

Postby Waxxy » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:17 pm

Or try a Nagoaka cartridge. The affordable MP-200 is quieter in the groove than either my Lyra or my Koetsu. Remarkable really! I'm not sure what part of the design is responsible for it being so quiet, but other cartridge manufacturers should take note, and attempt to to improve thier own designs.

The Lyra was quite good at ignoring pops, ticks a groove noise but the 1/10 price Nagoaka is better.

Personally, I would not be converting my analog to digital.
Unless my plan was to digitize for convenience, then the Sugar Cube is certainly something I would consider.
Waxxy

Postby Bill Stevenson » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:39 pm

I had read the Steve Hoffman thread too. Thanks. My problem there is everything I read has to be taken with a grain of salt and I have an intellectual heart condition. It is interesting that no one here has tried one yet. Music Direct has them back in stock and with their 60 day money back trial offer, there is not much risk. There are two versions: The SC-1 just removes the noise as you play your records, no digital recording or diddling involved. Mikey said he can hear very little artifact and even what he does hear might be because of the way he hooked his up. And he doesn't use it unless the record is noisy. So there is nothing in the chain unless it is taking care of business and according to Mikey the advantages far outweigh any minor artifacts when an old record is full of rice crispies. The SC-2 is the one that allows digital recording too. Frankly, that one is less interesting to me as I like playing my records, but I suppose I am singing to the choir around here on that one. Anyway, end of the month I have an overseas trip to make and upon return will probably pull the trigger. I'll let ya'll know what happens. In the meantime if anyone else gets the urge I would like to hear about it. As you guys know the info shared around here is generally very trusty.
Bill Stevenson

Postby Jprod » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:23 pm

Let us know how you like it. To me it still uses an algorithm and processing to remove clicks and pops. Im a purist at heart and when i listen to analogue I want all analogue in the entire chain - warts and all. To each his own.....
VPI Prime with ortofon 2m black, Manley Chinook phono preamp, Wyred4sound STP-SE preamp, parasound halo a21 amp, Ascend acoustics tower speakers with RAAL ribbon tweeters, audio sensibility signature cables
Jprod

Postby Dorian » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:49 pm

Jprod wrote:Let us know how you like it. To me it still uses an algorithm and processing to remove clicks and pops. Im a purist at heart and when i listen to analogue I want all analogue in the entire chain - warts and all. To each his own.....

+1
VPI Prime #959 & Outer Ring| SoundSmith MIMC Star | Herron VTPH-2A | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium HP Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Audio Sensibility Cables | Symposium Ultra | AQ Niagara 1000 | Stillpoints LPI | Focal Clear
Dorian

Return to General Audio