Traveler v. 1 cartridge recommendations

Traveler v. 1 cartridge recommendations

Postby Hemingway » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:55 pm

Group,

I'm in the process of buying an MC cart. I want to keep it below $1000. My setup is the traveler v. 1, rogue audio rp-1 phono/preamp, modified odyssey Khatago (waiting for its arrival), harbeth c7es-3s. I like a little warmth but still seek detail. Trying to avoid bright, burn the hair off your ears sound but I don't want buttery smooth either.

My phone pre does .4mV and up, though I have had one person tell me it will do .3 mV with sensitive speakers and high watt amp (mine are 86db sensitivity and 110w amp output). With all this in mind, any thoughts on the Hana SL vs Dynavextor 20mkII high output? I don't want to spend on a SUT if at all possible, and am concerned about noise floor the lower output cart I go with. Will the Dynavector be too "harsh" sounding in this setup, and move toward the mechanical sound of digital sources? Hana too warm? Anything else to consider? Would love your thoughts.
Hemingway

Re: Traveler v. 1 cartridge recommendations

Postby madrac » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:12 am

What about one of Harry's VAS NOVA MC's? available as either 0.4 mV or 0.8 mV... a bit more than your budget at 1200, though.
madrac

Postby Hemingway » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:03 pm

madrac, thanks for the feedback. I have never heard of this manufacturer and will check it out. It is double the price of the Hana cart but.. who knows
Hemingway

Postby TomD » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:48 pm

Soundsmith Zephyr is hard to beat in that price range. They have a few different versions. Elusive Disc (no affiliation) has some specials going on them right now.

Nice thing about Soundsmith is that you can get a retip for $250-$350 which basically gives you a brand new cartridge. This can come in handy if it accidentally gets damaged or when the stylus finally becomes worn out. I broke my cantilever and it sure did take the sting off - a $1000 stupid move and I got away with a $200 bill at the time.

I preferred the Zephyr to the Dynavector 20XL on my VPI Scout and Classic, but have no experience with the Traveler.

Good Luck!

Tom
VPI Prime Signature w/SDS, VAS Nova Sig., Parasound JC3 Phono, Parasound P7 Pre, Pass Labs XA30.8 Amplifier, Salk Exotica Monitors, 2X Salk 15" Subwoofers
TomD

Postby madrac » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:05 am

TomD wrote:Soundsmith Zephyr is hard to beat in that price range. They have a few different versions. Elusive Disc (no affiliation) has some specials going on them right now.

Nice thing about Soundsmith is that you can get a retip for $250-$350 which basically gives you a brand new cartridge. This can come in handy if it accidentally gets damaged or when the stylus finally becomes worn out. I broke my cantilever and it sure did take the sting off - a $1000 stupid move and I got away with a $200 bill at the time.

I preferred the Zephyr to the Dynavector 20XL on my VPI Scout and Classic, but have no experience with the Traveler.

Good Luck!

Tom

Soundsmith is also a good choice (I am currently running their Carmen model). Moving Iron (not MC), though.
madrac

Return to General Audio