Modified mechanical anti-skate

Re: Modified mechanical anti-skate

Postby Golear » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:19 pm

Unfortunately, Fermat's Last Theorem has already been proven, so I don't think I can suggest anything as your next project..... :-)
Golear

Re: Modified mechanical anti-skate

Postby Votan » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:15 am

Golear wrote:Some ideas I might explore in the future:
1. Cut the length of the upper arm, so that it's just enough for one O ring. Reducing the mass of the upper arm will move the Center of Gravity closer to the axis of the lower arm.
2. Replace the upper arm with a bolt which is screwed into the hub. It might be better to avoid the O rings entirely.

But there is the above idea of yours stated in Jul 05, 2018 in this topic, waiting to be explored! :)
So (theoretically) cutting 11 mm from the upper pole, leaving enough length only for 1 donut to fix fishing line, we have the modified torque (of truncated bare poles plus 1 rubber donut) accordingly: T1=14sinΦ+3,38cosΦ, all the rest remaining the same. Making the calculus for Φ from 0° up to 90° we have the Table II below.
Truncated upper pole of a-s mechanism.jpg
Truncated upper pole of a-s mechanism.jpg (65.51 KiB) Viewed 44 times

Table 1. Anti-skating in relation to angle Φ.jpg
Table 1. Anti-skating in relation to angle Φ.jpg (59.42 KiB) Viewed 44 times

Comparing Table II to Table I (where the upper pole isn’t truncated) we can see that now we have a much more “linear” increase of a/s toque (from VPI a/s mechanism ONLY) as stylus approach lead out grooves (especially if we start from 10° in the lead in grooves).
So Golear’s insight proved to be prophetic!
But taking into account that always exists as well the additional a/s of the lemo wire (even it’s in its more relaxed state), who knows exactly if this much more "linear" increase of a/s with truncated pole is better suited to the relevant increase of the skating force (with more or less unknown growth rate), compared to that of a not truncated a/s mechanism?
Prime Signature+10”3DR in Finite Element(FE) platform, ADS, Lyra Delos, WW Silver Eclipse 8 Phono Cable, Groove Plus-SRX Phono Stage, Moon 740 Pre, Moon 820 PSU, ATC 100 Active Speakers, AQ Niagara IC, WW Silver Electra 7 A/C, FE Ref Rack, RPG Treatment.
Votan

Previous

Return to Support Forum