Swapping 2 10" arms

Swapping 2 10" arms

Postby aztwang » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:18 pm

OK my main arm is a 10 JMW 3D arm on a Classic with VTA mount. If I had another 10" std. JMW arm could
I swap out arms with no muss no fuss? Also what mono cartridge do ya'll recommend?

Thx
Primaluna Dialogue Premium HP-- EL34- Marantz TT15-S1-- Sumiko Blackbird
Mobile Fidelity Studio Phono stage-- Blue Jeans Interconnects & Blue Jeans Speaker cable--
Goldenear Triton 1’s
aztwang

Re: Swapping 2 10" arms

Postby Brf » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:10 am

aztwang wrote:OK my main arm is a 10 JMW 3D arm on a Classic with VTA mount. If I had another 10" std. JMW arm could
I swap out arms with no muss no fuss? Also what mono cartridge do ya'll recommend?

Thx

Compatible tonearms with the JMW 10-3D are as follows:

Metal Arms: 10.5i, Classic, Classic 3, Classic Signature, JMW-10 (current production)
3D Printed: 10-3DR and the Fatboy

Swapping tonearms is relatively easy, but you will need to adjust each tonearm/cartridge combination for VTA. Just keep track of the number of turns of the VTA tower between tonearm/cartridge combinations for repeatable results.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby JimTimP » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:30 pm

You can also use the set screw in the tonearm to adjust the VTA so they remain the same from arm to arm during the swap. Not as fine an adjustment, but it'll get you quite close.
Teac X-2000R, Otari MX-5050 BIII-2, Manley Stingray II Amp, Yaqin SD-32A CD Player, Zestos Andros PS 1 Phono Preamp, VPI Prime Sig, ADS & 16.5, Soundsmith Voice & Lyra Delos on own arms, Zaph ZRT 2.5 Spkr, Homemade 10" Subs, PS Audio P5
JimTimP

Postby Brf » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:21 pm

JimTimP wrote:You can also use the set screw in the tonearm to adjust the VTA so they remain the same from arm to arm during the swap. Not as fine an adjustment, but it'll get you quite close.

Also, get a mono cartridge that has a conical stylus which is less sensitive to VTA/SRA
Brf
Site Admin

Postby billo » Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:13 pm

If you record VTF before removing the arm it's a simple adjustment when putting it back into service. Using the same calibrated VTF scale at the same distance from the spindle, adjust the VTA tower so VTF reads exactly as it was before. Original VTA will happen. In theory. :D
billo

Postby aztwang » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:01 am

OK so would it make sense if I have a 10 inch 3-D arm and I were to get a non-3-D arm with the exact dimensions and used for example a cadenza black and a cadenza mono which are both exactly the same as far as weight and
Tracking weight. Wouldn’t then be an easy in and out swap other than adjusting VTA?
Mobile Fidelity Studio Phono stage-- Blue Jeans Interconnects & Blue Jeans Speaker cable--
Goldenear Triton 1’s
aztwang

Postby billo » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:21 am

My thinking is, the two cartridges being physically similar or not will make little difference. Suspension wear, coil alignment and therefore optimum VTF/VTA will make the two carts set up differently from each other even though they are of the same weight and dimension.
billo

Postby aztwang » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:48 am

billo wrote:My thinking is, the two cartridges being physically similar or not will make little difference. Suspension wear, coil alignment and therefore optimum VTF/VTA will make the two carts set up differently from each other even though they are of the same weight and dimension.

Thanks..Im so new to the technical end of things....But I tell ya what I enjoy the shi# outta learning all this stuff..... It is so cool!!

Cheers
Goldenear Triton 1’s
aztwang

Return to Support Forum