Unipivot 2nd pivot mod

Unipivot 2nd pivot mod

Postby aztwang » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:54 am

My question: Does the addition of the 2nd pivot hinder the original unipivots design and purpose? I assume that the update was to satisfy owners who thought the
arms movement was affecting the sound.

Cheers

Don
Last edited by aztwang on Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
aztwang

Re: Unipivot 2nd pivoy mod

Postby JimTimP » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:37 pm

Not at all. Search this forum. There's a long thread about the 2nd Pivot. In it Brent (bfr) explains it's function as a 'constrained pivot" or something to that effect. It actually is much more on an engineering scale than a 2nd pivot.
Teac X-2000R, Otari MX-5050 BIII-2, Manley Stingray II Amp, Yaqin SD-32A CD Player, Zestos Andros PS 1 Phono Preamp, VPI Prime Sig, ADS & 16.5, Soundsmith Voice & Lyra Delos on own arms, Zaph ZRT 2.5 Spkr, Homemade 10" Subs, PS Audio P5
JimTimP

Re: Unipivot 2nd pivot mod

Postby elader » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:05 am

I really tried to like it, but my set up is happier without it. Imaging in particular. Don't ask me why I seem to be the odd man out. Maybe it's because I'm *that* odd.
VPI Prime, BenzMicro Glider, VPI SDS, Cinemag SUT
Audible Illusions Modulus 3A, Primaluna Prologue 5
REGA Apollo R, PS Audio Digital Link III DAC
KEF R300, pangea stands, SVS SB12 sub
elader

Postby Brf » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:58 am

elader wrote:I really tried to like it, but my set up is happier without it. Imaging in particular. Don't ask me why I seem to be the odd man out. Maybe it's because I'm *that* odd.

The only constant in audio is that there is no constant. I am glad to hear that you tied it out and decided on what's best for you.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby aztwang » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:10 pm

Brf wrote:
elader wrote:I really tried to like it, but my set up is happier without it. Imaging in particular. Don't ask me why I seem to be the odd man out. Maybe it's because I'm *that* odd.

The only constant in audio is that there is no constant. I am glad to hear that you tied it out and decided on what's best for you.

BRF...seems as your knowledge of VPI tables are vast. Can you tell mw why Classic Signature plinths have screw covers (i assume thats what they are)
3 in front and I believe 3 in the rear and all other classics have never had them. Also any other significant differences between the Holiday special that had the 10" 3d arm, SDS and HRX pulley and weight vs standard Classic Signature? Also why did VPI drop SDS and go to ADS?

Cheers

Don
Primaluna Dialogue Premium HP EL34- VPI Classic Signature- VPI JMW 10" 3D- SDS
Mobile Fidelity Studio Phono stage- Blue Jeans Interconnects & Blue Jeans Speaker cable
Goldenear Triton 1’s
aztwang

Postby Brf » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:43 pm

aztwang wrote:
Brf wrote:

BRF...seems as your knowledge of VPI tables are vast. Can you tell mw why Classic Signature plinths have screw covers (i assume thats what they are)
3 in front and I believe 3 in the rear and all other classics have never had them. Also any other significant differences between the Holiday special that had the 10" 3d arm, SDS and HRX pulley and weight vs standard Classic Signature? Also why did VPI drop SDS and go to ADS?

Cheers

Don

The Classic Signature’s plinth consist of a ½" thick machined aluminum plinth bonded to a 1/8" steel sub plate, bonded to 2" of MDF. The 6 bolts are used to mechanically couple each layer together to create a plinth which is well damped it virtually eliminates resonance.

Holiday and Special Editions are typically tables with bundled accessories at an attractive price. My understanding is that VPI believes that the ADS is a better performer than the former SDS.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Stringreen » Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:09 pm

isn't that odd. When I got my 3D with 2nd pivot locked in, I found every parameter of sound very much better.
Stringreen

Postby elader » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:02 pm

[/quote]
Stringreen wrote:isn't that odd. When I got my 3D with 2nd pivot locked in, I found every parameter of sound very much better.

cartridge dependent maybe?
VPI Prime, BenzMicro Glider, VPI SDS, Cinemag SUT
Audible Illusions Modulus 3A, Primaluna Prologue 5
REGA Apollo R, PS Audio Digital Link III DAC
KEF R300, pangea stands, SVS SB12 sub
elader

Postby mflaten » Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:23 pm

I found the 2nd pivot was fussy in that you needed the least amount of side weight to keep the 2nd pivot anchored. If too much side weight it would have a severe adverse effect on the anit-skating which causes the stylus to apply too much pressure on one side of the groove.
mflaten

Postby Brf » Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:10 pm

mflaten wrote:I found the 2nd pivot was fussy in that you needed the least amount of side weight to keep the 2nd pivot anchored. If too much side weight it would have a severe adverse effect on the anit-skating which causes the stylus to apply too much pressure on one side of the groove.

I agree that too much pressure on the dual pivot has a negative impact on performance, but I have ran skating test with and without the dual pivot and have concluded that the properly loaded dual pivot has little to no impact on anti-skating. That has been my observation both on a listening and measurement basis. YMMV
Brf
Site Admin

Next

Return to Support Forum