ADS Question

Re: ADS Question

Postby Phoenix Engineering » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:05 am

topcat84 wrote:I’ll ask this again. I just want to make sure I’m using the ADS the right way. Sorry if it’s a dumb question. Cheers!!

Hi Guys!
So if I understand correctly, the best method for using my ADS is to leave the start button on the VPI Classic TT on or depressed at all times and when ready to play an LP, I simply power on my ADS and push the “Start” button on the ADS to start the platter. Is that correct? Thanks guys!

Not a dumb question. Your assumption is correct; while you could operate the ADS differently and it may work OK, I think it is always best to operate an electronic component the way the designer intended.
"Sometimes people don't want to hear the truth, because they don't want their illusions destroyed..." --Nietzsche
Phoenix Engineering

Postby JimTimP » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:40 am

Phoenix Engineering wrote:
Golear wrote:At start, what's the voltage? 110V AC?

And then, once the platter has reached the required speed, the voltage drops to what level?

[SNIP]

When exiting standby, the ADS will always start at 33 RPM with higher voltage (even when starting with 45 RPM selected) to give the motor a chance to spin up. If 33 RPM mode is selected, the voltage will drop after ~8 secs. If 45 RPM mode is selected, the speed will change to 45 RPM after ~5 secs and the voltage will drop after another 3 seconds.

I assume the voltage changes as well, but how long does it take to adjust the AC frequency to the motor for speed adjustments? The same?
Teac X-2000R, Otari MX-5050 BIII-2, Manley Stingray II Amp, Yaqin SD-32A CD Player, Zestos Andros PS 1 Phono Preamp, VPI Prime Sig, ADS & 16.5, Soundsmith Voice & Lyra Delos on own arms, Zaph ZRT 2.5 Spkr, Homemade 10" Subs, PS Audio P5
JimTimP

Postby Phoenix Engineering » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:30 am

JimTimP wrote:I assume the voltage changes as well, but how long does it take to adjust the AC frequency to the motor for speed adjustments? The same?

Not sure I understand the question.

When exiting standby mode with 33 RPM selected:

Freq=60Hz, voltage=115VAC. 8 seconds later, Freq=60Hz, voltage=90VAC. The change from 115 to 90VAC is instantaneous.

When exiting standby mode with 45 RPM selected:

Freq=60Hz, voltage=115VAC. 5 seconds later, Freq=81Hz, voltage=115VAC. 3 seconds later, Freq=81Hz, voltage=90VAC. The change from 60Hz to 81Hz is instantaneous as is the change from 115 to 90VAC three seconds later.

If the unit is already out of standby mode and running at 33 RPM, changing to 45RPM will not affect the voltage (it will remain reduced if already reduced) but the change from 60Hz to 81Hz will still take ~5 seconds.

If the unit is already out of standby mode and running at 45 RPM, changing to 33RPM will not affect the voltage (it will remain reduced if already reduced) but the change from 81Hz to 60Hz will be nearly instantaneous.

If you adjust frequency via the front panel controls, the frequency change occurs in real time. There is no voltage change when adjusting the front panel controls. The only adjustment for voltage are RV4 and RV5 which are internal pots located on the main PCB.
"Sometimes people don't want to hear the truth, because they don't want their illusions destroyed..." --Nietzsche
Phoenix Engineering

Previous

Return to General Audio