ADS Question

ADS Question

Postby topcat84 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:24 pm

Hi Guys!
I know I’ve seen this asked before, but couldn’t find the thread. Do most of you leave your VPI ADS powered on all of the time? I wanted to be certain before doing so. Thanks in advance. Cheers!!
McIntosh 2105/McIntosh C28/McIntosh MR78/VPI Classic w/3D Tonearm/VPI Ring Clamp/VPI HRX Weight/Teac TN-300/audio technica AT-LP120-USB/Sony TC-756 RTR/Nakamichi BX-300 Cassette/Marantz SA8005 CD/Soundscraftsmen RP2215-R Equalizer/JBL L200/Klipsch RF-7 II
topcat84

Re: ADS Question

Postby JimTimP » Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:32 pm

I do not. I can't see an advantage to leaving it on. I do allow about 15 minutes to warm up before use.
Teac X-2000R, Otari MX-5050 BIII-2, Manley Stingray II Amp, Yaqin SD-32A CD Player, Zestos Andros PS 1 Phono Preamp, VPI Prime Sig, ADS & 16.5, Soundsmith Voice & Lyra Delos on own arms, Zaph ZRT 2.5 Spkr, Homemade 10" Subs, PS Audio P5
JimTimP

Postby Brf » Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:47 pm

I turn mine off when I finish listening. Once powered up, I use the motor switch to control the motor in between albums.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby topcat84 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:49 am

Thanks for the response guys!! I will follow your leads!! Cheers!!
McIntosh 2105/McIntosh C28/McIntosh MR78/VPI Classic w/3D Tonearm/VPI Ring Clamp/VPI HRX Weight/Teac TN-300/audio technica AT-LP120-USB/Sony TC-756 RTR/Nakamichi BX-300 Cassette/Marantz SA8005 CD/Soundscraftsmen RP2215-R Equalizer/JBL L200/Klipsch RF-7 II
topcat84

Postby Phoenix Engineering » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:03 am

Brf wrote:....Once powered up, I use the motor switch to control the motor in between albums.

I do not think this is a good idea Brf. The SDS had the ability to detect when the motor was switched on/off and would start at full voltage when the motor was switched on; if the motor was switched on while in 45 RPM mode, the SDS would change to 33 RPM (at full voltage), then ramp up to 45 before reducing voltage. Note that this only happens when the detection circuit is functioning properly; from what I've read on-line, there are a number of users who report this does not work. The detection circuit was necessary as the SDS did not have a stand-by mode; it could only be powered on/off.

The ADS does NOT have this detection circuit as it does have a stand-by mode. If you leave the ADS on (and not in stand-by mode) while playing records, and use the motor switch between records/sides, the ADS output will remain at the selected speed and at the reduced voltage (90V). This could be especially problematic while playing 45 RPM records as the motor would have to start at the higher speed, and with lower voltage. YMMV.

Leaving the ADS on (but in stand-by mode) 24/7 would not have any benefit IMO. From my measurements, the analog oscillators in the ADS drift over time with temperature, but the internal temp does not increase in stand-by mode, only when the output amps get hot will powering a motor. Likewise, having a 15 minute warm up period before listening most likely does little to stabilize the frequency, unless you do it with the motor running.
"Sometimes people don't want to hear the truth, because they don't want their illusions destroyed..." --Nietzsche
Phoenix Engineering

Postby topcat84 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:30 am

Hi Guys!
So if I understand correctly, the best method for using my ADS is to leave the start button on the VPI Classic TT on or depressed at all times and when ready to play an LP, I simply power on my ADS and push the “Start” button on the ADS to start the platter. Is that correct? Thanks guys!
topcat84

Postby Brf » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:41 am

Phoenix Engineering wrote:
Brf wrote:....Once powered up, I use the motor switch to control the motor in between albums.

I do not think this is a good idea Brf. The SDS had the ability to detect when the motor was switched on/off and would start at full voltage when the motor was switched on; if the motor was switched on while in 45 RPM mode, the SDS would change to 33 RPM (at full voltage), then ramp up to 45 before reducing voltage. Note that this only happens when the detection circuit is functioning properly; from what I've read on-line, there are a number of users who report this does not work. The detection circuit was necessary as the SDS did not have a stand-by mode; it could only be powered on/off.

The ADS does NOT have this detection circuit as it does have a stand-by mode. If you leave the ADS on (and not in stand-by mode) while playing records, and use the motor switch between records/sides, the ADS output will remain at the selected speed and at the reduced voltage (90V). This could be especially problematic while playing 45 RPM records as the motor would have to start at the higher speed, and with lower voltage. YMMV.

Leaving the ADS on (but in stand-by mode) 24/7 would not have any benefit IMO. From my measurements, the analog oscillators in the ADS drift over time with temperature, but the internal temp does not increase in stand-by mode, only when the output amps get hot will powering a motor. Likewise, having a 15 minute warm up period before listening most likely does little to stabilize the frequency, unless you do it with the motor running.

Thanks PE for picking this up. I should have mentioned that I use a SDS and not an ADS as my motor controller. The SDS functions the same when using the motor's power switch or the SDS power switch.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Golear » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:50 pm

While we're on this subject, I'm curious about the voltages put out by the ADS.

At start, what's the voltage? 110V AC?

And then, once the platter has reached the required speed, the voltage drops to what level?
Golear

Postby topcat84 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:58 am

I’ll ask this again. I just want to make sure I’m using the ADS the right way. Sorry if it’s a dumb question. Cheers!!

Hi Guys!
So if I understand correctly, the best method for using my ADS is to leave the start button on the VPI Classic TT on or depressed at all times and when ready to play an LP, I simply power on my ADS and push the “Start” button on the ADS to start the platter. Is that correct? Thanks guys!
topcat84

Postby Phoenix Engineering » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:03 am

Golear wrote:At start, what's the voltage? 110V AC?

And then, once the platter has reached the required speed, the voltage drops to what level?

I believe it is designed to output 115VAC at start up and drop to 90VAC ~8 seconds after startup. The actual voltage will depend on power requirement of the motor attached (the higher the power the lower the voltage) and the setting of the internal adjustments. The one I measured ran a bit "hot" from the factory, with ~130VAC at start up and ~95VAC at reduced output. There are 2 pots that set voltages for both speeds: RV4 sets both high/low voltage for 33 RPM and RV5 sets both voltages for 45. That is, the ratio between high/low voltage is fixed, each pot changes both the high and low voltage.

When exiting standby, the ADS will always start at 33 RPM with higher voltage (even when starting with 45 RPM selected) to give the motor a chance to spin up. If 33 RPM mode is selected, the voltage will drop after ~8 secs. If 45 RPM mode is selected, the speed will change to 45 RPM after ~5 secs and the voltage will drop after another 3 seconds.
"Sometimes people don't want to hear the truth, because they don't want their illusions destroyed..." --Nietzsche
Phoenix Engineering

Next

Return to General Audio