super customer service from VPI!

super customer service from VPI!

Postby teenage diplomat » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:48 pm

My HRX was starting to show its age. Both the ball bearing upon which the super platter sits, and the thrust plate in the platter itself, showed that telltale circular scoring caused by excessive wear. It was time for an intervention. So, after consulting with Mat on dates, I took my 'table to Cliffwood today. Leo was the designated surgeon, essentially charged with spending the day rebuilding the 'table. First, he disassembled the main bearing and brought it up to current spec by machining a channel in the inner surface of its base into which he installed an O ring used to hold lubrication, and damp external vibrations from reaching the spindle. Next, the inverted bearing ball was replaced. Then a new thrust plate was installed. But he wasn't yet done. At HW's suggestion, he inserted a spacer under the tonearm base to allow positioning the arm height at or near the optimum midpoint of the VTA tower's travel. A little thing? Maybe. But that's Harry's attention to detail. Then things got interesting. Harry took me over to the VPI house (more accurately, Mat's place) to do a shootout with my cartridge (AT ART-7 lomc) between my original 3D arm and the new Fatboy. Since I'm a jazz fan, we used a Columbia stereo 6 eye version of Dave Brubeck's Take Five. I had expected a strong family resemblance between the arms, and frankly doubted either would prove a clear-cut winner. I was half right. There is a strong family resemblance - piano and sax were virtually identical in terms of timbre, for example. But the Fatboy made cymbals shine like a VDH Colibri, (to which we listened first on a different Fatboy), and allowed my cart to almost match that megabuck cartridge's imaging. Once heard, the Fatboy can't be denied. At least, I couldn't deny it. Bank balance took the hit (but thanks to Mat's very generous trade-in for my 3D arm, not as big as I feared it would be). I have never had an experience to equal this from any other manufacturer. I can't even imagine anyone else taking this much time to care for a customer. Harry, Mat, Mark, and Leo, you guys rock.
teenage diplomat

Re: super customer service from VPI!

Postby WERA689 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:43 am

That sounds like a first class experience. A pleasure to read.
WERA689

Postby DeeCee » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:01 am

What this site needs is a nice thumbs up emoji! :D Congratulations to ALL parties involved!
VPI Scout 2/JMW-9/Benz Micro Wood SL/Graham Slee 3 & PSU1/Sony DVP-S7000/Schiit Audio Bifrost Uber/Sonic Euphoria PLC/Aragon 4004 Mk II/Aerial Acoustics Model 7
DeeCee

Postby Brf » Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:39 pm

DeeCee wrote:What this site needs is a nice thumbs up emoji! :D Congratulations to ALL parties involved!
Attachments
914A8102-69AF-4FA7-9143-ED3F9DD5E0FB.jpeg
914A8102-69AF-4FA7-9143-ED3F9DD5E0FB.jpeg (36.55 KiB) Viewed 315 times
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Pythonman » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:02 pm

Awesome post!!
VPI Prime, Hana SH, Parasound A21, Parasound P5, Athena AS F2s
Pythonman

Postby DeeCee » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:22 pm

Brf wrote:
DeeCee wrote:What this site needs is a nice thumbs up emoji! :D Congratulations to ALL parties involved!

VPI will be BACH!! (Get it? I said "BACH!" <slap, OUCH!>)
VPI Scout 2/JMW-9/Benz Micro Wood SL/Graham Slee 3 & PSU1/Sony DVP-S7000/Schiit Audio Bifrost Uber/Sonic Euphoria PLC/Aragon 4004 Mk II/Aerial Acoustics Model 7
DeeCee

Postby husafreak » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:56 pm

Without going into details I also had a fantastic customer service experience with VPI this year. It is nice to know I never have to deal with another turntable manufacturer in my lifetime. I would never leave!
Thanks for sharing your decidedly "high end" experience. I just knew they would be like that in person.
VPI Scout 2/JMW9-3D arm/Sumiko Blackbird/VPI Periphery Ring/HRX record weight/Pheonix Falcon PSU/Timber Nation Maple Isolation Platform/Target Wall Stand/VPI HW-16.5/Ortofon 6NX-TSW-1010/Krell KSL/KSL phono/KST/XLOPro/Harbeth SHL5+
husafreak

Return to Support Forum