Lofgren, Baerwald or Stevenson ?

Lofgren, Baerwald or Stevenson ?

Postby jmcox » Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:36 pm

I would love to hear others opinions on the sonic trade offs with respect to choosing one or the other. I happen to use a dr. Feikert set up tool and it gives me the option of either of those three. (I don't recall whether the Dr. Feikert tool uses A or B for their 'Lofgren' - I don't think that it is indicated on the tool). For some reason I started out with the impression that lofgren gave me the best alignment throughout the whole (average) radius of a record, as opposed to maximizing one portion of the playback over and another. I happened to have been using lofgren . . . . but would love to hear some opinions here.

Which alignment option do you guys prefer?
VPI Avenger/Transfiguration Proteus, VAS Nova Gold .25, VAS .30 MONO/Ring Clamp/SDS/EAR MC4 SUT/Manley Chinook SE phono/Primaluna Dialogue Premium preamp/McIntosh MC 40 mono blocks/Ampsandsound Cornscallas/Kimber Select all cables, Furman Reference 15i
jmcox

Re: Lofgren, Baerwald or Stevenson ?

Postby Bill Stevenson » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:54 pm

The difference is not as great as some would have you believe, but after years of messing with this I keep coming back to Stevenson for reasons that I can't explain. But this has proven true even when someone else was doing the set up and I had no idea which was which, and it has proven true across several turntables using different arms. My advice, though, is to not get too hung up on this. Set your cartridge up and then forget about it and listen to music. All the heated rhetoric is just a tempest in a teapot. This issue is highly overrated.
Bill Stevenson

Postby Dorian » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:28 pm

I use a SMARTracrtor for my alignment. This is from their user manual:

"The selection of the tangential curve depends on your personal preference and on your record collection.

If the majority of your records are rather modern,with production past 1985, we suggest you align to either Baerwald / Loefgren A IEC or Loefgren B IEC.

If your record collection contains a lot of older records from the beginning of the stereo era to the early 1980ies we strongly recommend aligning to Baerwald / Loefgren A DIN or UNI-DIN.

If your collection features a majority of records with classical music and / or human voices I strongly recommend aligning to UNI-DIN."

The majority of my collection is post-1985, so I went with Loefgren B IEC.
VPI Prime #959 & Outer Ring| SoundSmith MIMC Star | Herron VTPH-2A | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium HP Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Audio Sensibility Cables | Symposium Ultra | AQ Niagara 1000 | Stillpoints LPI | Focal Clear
Dorian

Postby Golear » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:19 pm

Dorian wrote:I use a SMARTracrtor for my alignment. This is from their user manual:

"The selection of the tangential curve depends on your personal preference and on your record collection.

If the majority of your records are rather modern,with production past 1985, we suggest you align to either Baerwald / Loefgren A IEC or Loefgren B IEC.

If your record collection contains a lot of older records from the beginning of the stereo era to the early 1980ies we strongly recommend aligning to Baerwald / Loefgren A DIN or UNI-DIN.

If your collection features a majority of records with classical music and / or human voices I strongly recommend aligning to UNI-DIN."

The majority of my collection is post-1985, so I went with Loefgren B IEC.

What change was made in 1985?

One might also want to consider the cartridge. If the cartridge has good trackability, then it's not going to misbehave in the inner grooves, so one can go with... Lofgren B? I just went with the normal VPI alignment.
Golear

Return to General Audio