Miles Davis, Born On This Day.

Re: Miles Davis, Born On This Day.

Postby Dorian » Mon May 28, 2018 4:03 pm

Peer Gynt wrote:Alexa Alexiss Tomato Tomahto... Otto Korrekt chose it for me.

Maybe if I were using Siri, it would have been right.

A UK dealer from whom I’ve bought many Linn items uses Siri. He asked me to send him a picture of my deck once. Siri misunderstood and changed the intended “e” to an unintended “i.”

I’ll keep typing, and playing my vinyl, thanks.

LOL. :lol:
VPI Prime #959 & Outer Ring| SoundSmith MIMC Star | Herron VTPH-2A | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium HP Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Audio Sensibility Cables | Symposium Ultra | AQ Niagara 1000 | Stillpoints LPI | Focal Clear
Dorian

Postby Ducky » Mon May 28, 2018 5:10 pm

Peer Gynt wrote:Alexa Alexiss Tomato Tomahto... Otto Korrekt chose it for me.

Maybe if I were using Siri, it would have been right.

A UK dealer from whom I’ve bought many Linn items uses Siri. He asked me to send him a picture of my deck once. Siri misunderstood and changed the intended “e” to an unintended “i.”

I’ll keep typing, and playing my vinyl, thanks.

Do you have an unusual accent per chance?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WA5Zhir8rbc
Ducky

Postby Peer Gynt » Mon May 28, 2018 5:48 pm

The UK dealer does have an accent, but it’s nothing like Kripke’s. That was a funny sketch though.
Peer Gynt

Postby MMMC » Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:06 am

Peer Gynt wrote:I’ve got 5 or 6 different releases of the 1959/60 recording entitled Sketches of Spain, as well as many other MD efforts over the years.

I’m listening right now to the first “digitally remastered directly from the original analog tapes” release. I think it’s the best one. The Classic 3SE/NovaHW is as rendering it as well as I can ever remember.

Peer,
If you have the Mobile Fidelity “digitally remastered directly from the original analog tapes”, you do have what I also consider the very best production recording and pressing of Miles's "Sketches in Spain".

As a diehard Miles fan, I once in a while still find recorded music by Miles I have not heard or own. Just recently, last month I was made aware of a recording "Miles in Tokyo 1975". It is Miles only recording with Sam Rivers on Tenor,(no Coltrane, and no Wayne Shorter) along with Herbie Hancock on piano, Ron Carter on bass, Tony Williams on drums. I have found and purchased the CD recording of the event, so now the goal is to locate and purchase a vinyl edition of that evening. There are no "new" Miles tunes within the performances, but the addition of Sam Rivers on the tenor does provides a different flavor to the many Miles standards, and Miles was still in a period when he was playing notes on his trumpet that no one else even dared. The hunt for the vinyl record of that event is on!

MMMC
One of the last HR-X production/ 3DR 12" arm/ ZYX Universe II LOMC with Copper wire/ RCM Sensor 2 phono preamp/ Silver Audio Appasionata IC/ Audio Sensibiity Statement Silver Phono V2 IC
MMMC

Postby Mr_Putty » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:02 pm

Peer Gynt
I have the Capital copy/version. How would rate it?
Thanks,
JTA
Mr_Putty

Postby Peer Gynt » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:50 pm

I’ll have to dig around and do a comparo.

One thing I’ve found since the Kleos arrived is that many albums that I’d considered mediocre have improved. The same phenomenon occurred when I got the Delos.

I listened to the digitally remastered plain vinyl Columbia Jazz Masterpiece version tonight, and I continue to really like this. But other releases are good too.

FWIW, I am not a fan of half speeds, or direct to disk. They were just too hard to master in the case of the half speeds, and too hard to cut in the case of the DtoDs. They just never get the bass to suit me. But ... YMMV.
Peer Gynt

Postby Mr_Putty » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:29 pm

Here’s what my Columbia says on the back bottom.(arranged and conducted by Gil Evans)
Attachments
FC3E31C9-4AC2-4BD8-A4D0-AA03F55DAAB2.jpeg
Miles
FC3E31C9-4AC2-4BD8-A4D0-AA03F55DAAB2.jpeg (1.18 MiB) Viewed 483 times
Mr_Putty

Previous

Return to General Chat