New Super Prime Scout owner.

New Super Prime Scout owner.

Postby Noskipallwd » Fri May 25, 2018 10:08 pm

Received my very first VPI table last Friday. One of the modified Prime Scouts from Upscale Audio w/a Soundsmith Carmen cartridge. After driving myself nuts setting azimuth and sra by ear and a digital microscope , I've been able to spend a few days listening and am a happy camper.This is my first unipivot, and now I understand why the Fozgometer is so popular here. I also picked-up the 2nd pivot assembly, but I'm going to listen without for awhile and compare both configurations later. I think I found a table that I will enjoy for sometime.

Cheers,
Shawn P.
VPI S. Prime Scout W/ADS|Soundsmith Carmen| Bottlehead Eros & Crack|Primaluna Prologue 3 and 4|KEF LS50s|Focal Elear|Nordost Blue Heaven Tonearm cable|DIY for the rest|VPI 16.5|
Noskipallwd

Re: New Super Prime Scout owner.

Postby Brf » Sat May 26, 2018 6:14 am

Very nice table and cartridge. Well balanced. Did you get the white table?
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Noskipallwd » Sat May 26, 2018 12:01 pm

Brf wrote:Very nice table and cartridge. Well balanced. Did you get the white table?

Yes I did. I normally don't like white anything, but after looking at pics of the table I realized it looked striking. The Carmen is my first Soundsmith and it seems to work well with this table. I've found it sounds better with little or no anti-skate. It tracks well and is very stable from the first groove to the last.

Cheers,
Shawn
VPI S. Prime Scout W/ADS|Soundsmith Carmen| Bottlehead Eros & Crack|Primaluna Prologue 3 and 4|KEF LS50s|Focal Elear|Nordost Blue Heaven Tonearm cable|DIY for the rest|VPI 16.5|
Noskipallwd

Postby MMMC » Sat May 26, 2018 3:45 pm

Noskipallwd wrote:
Brf wrote:Very nice table and cartridge. Well balanced. Did you get the white table?

Yes I did. I normally don't like white anything, but after looking at pics of the table I realized it looked striking. The Carmen is my first Soundsmith and it seems to work well with this table. I've found it sounds better with little or no anti-skate. It tracks well and is very stable from the first groove to the last.

Cheers,
Shawn

Congratulations on your new "white" Prime Scout!! Please post a photo when possible. Maybe this is the beginning of more VPI tables with color options. (There was a time when the there was only one color option for automobiles.)

MMMC
One of the last HR-X production/ 3DR 12" arm/ ZYX Universe II LOMC with Copper wire/ RCM Sensor 2 phono preamp/ Silver Audio Appasionata IC/ Audio Sensibiity Statement Silver Phono V2 IC
MMMC

Postby MOON » Sat May 26, 2018 8:54 pm

Congratulations. I used a carmen before. It sounded great. Happy listening.
Prime 152, Lyra Kloes, Waynes Perifery Ring 3.8 lb, Stillpoint LPI , Simaudio 610 Evolution phono stage , Audio Sensibility silver statement phono cable.
MOON

Postby Pelts » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:03 pm

Congrats!
I'm about too close the deal on this table in white also. I was planning on going with a Ort Black cart since I don't own a preamp but see the Soundsmith Zephyr mkiii is on sale and is a high output cart. Did you have upscale audio do the cartridge install?
Pelts

Postby pathguy » Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:27 am

Pelts wrote:Congrats!
I'm about too close the deal on this table in white also. I was planning on going with a Ort Black cart since I don't own a preamp but see the Soundsmith Zephyr mkiii is on sale and is a high output cart. Did you have upscale audio do the cartridge install?

Congrats--that's a great looking table and a great deal! I *almost* ordered one, but decided to go for the prime (just ordered yesterday) :)
Upscale is also doing the cartridge install (A Soundsmith MIMC star).
pathguy

Postby Pelts » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:19 pm

Now I’m torn. Just found a demo Prime for $2900 or about the same as the new super scout. Prime has the 3D tone arm and Delrin isolation feet. Im also wondering if the scout platter is a little too small for the 10.5 tonearm. I’m sure vpi wouldn’t authorize this if it wasn’t going to work great but by my calculations the prime platter is 3 more inches longer from post to post. Plus I have also read from Fremer and participated in the sound test and really don’t have a preference in sound difference from the aluminum vs. 3D but do like the look better of the 3d arm.
Pelts

Postby soundwatts » Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:09 am

Pelts what did you end up with?
Prime Signature
Ortofon Quintet Black
Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum ii
Manley Chinook Phono Stage
Sonus Faber Venere 2.5
Bluesound Vault 2
CAL Icon Mk2 CD Player (no longer used after purchasing new Scout)
soundwatts

Postby spinblackcircle » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:16 pm

Pelts wrote:Now I’m torn. Just found a demo Prime for $2900 or about the same as the new super scout. Prime has the 3D tone arm and Delrin isolation feet. Im also wondering if the scout platter is a little too small for the 10.5 tonearm. I’m sure vpi wouldn’t authorize this if it wasn’t going to work great but by my calculations the prime platter is 3 more inches longer from post to post. Plus I have also read from Fremer and participated in the sound test and really don’t have a preference in sound difference from the aluminum vs. 3D but do like the look better of the 3d arm.

The Prime Super Scout from Upscale uses the same Classic platter that is on the regular Prime. In real life, the difference between the metal and 3D arm is more substantial than Fremer's digital file comparison.
VPI Prime/Grado Reference Master, VPI 16.5 RCM, Audio Research LP1, Audio Research VSI60, Martin Logan Electromotion ESL, ClearDay and Audio Sensibility Cables
spinblackcircle

Next

Return to Future VPI Owners