Turntable Isolation - Which Rack is Best

Re: Turntable Isolation - Which Rack is Best

Postby cbl117 » Wed May 16, 2018 7:03 pm

Brf wrote:I have never used Solidsteel racks, but I have physically seen them and they are very well made and excellent looking.

Most stands and top plates will not filter out all resonance frequencies, therefore, you need to find a stand that does an excellent job and allows the table's footers and plinth design to do the rest.

Brf, did you happen to get a feel for how heavy/structurally sound the solidsteel racks felt? If I understand correctly, the Solidsteel hyprspike series tries to direct couple the energy to the floor. For a solid mass table like VPI, is that a good thing?
cbl117

Postby cbl117 » Wed May 16, 2018 7:05 pm

tony22 wrote:@cb117, I have a similar dilemma. I have to figure a new rack solution for my system, as my Avenger exceeds the top shelf footprint of my current (old) CWD rack. That rack has long been in need of replacement anyway. If I were on the West Coast I'd be hopping all over your stuff to at least deal with my TT solution, but since you're looking for local sale only I guess it'll be someone else's good luck.

I've looked at Solidsteel's Hyperspike line too. Looks good, but I've also looked at Adona, Timbernation, Steve Blinn, a lot of the usual suspects. It got to where I started looking at the 8020 site to build my own (if you go there you'll see structural components that look suspiciously like those used by a number audio rack builders). But the problem is the shelves. With composite / constrained layer audio shelves going from $150 or so to many hundreds of dollars, I started to wonder if building just the rack then buying shelves would really save me all that much.

I took a close look at the Adona racks too. I'll have to look into Steve Blinn. Any other racks in this pricepoint that I should be considering?
cbl117

Postby Brf » Thu May 17, 2018 7:56 am

cbl117 wrote:
Brf wrote:I have never used Solidsteel racks, but I have physically seen them and they are very well made and excellent looking.

Most stands and top plates will not filter out all resonance frequencies, therefore, you need to find a stand that does an excellent job and allows the table's footers and plinth design to do the rest.

Brf, did you happen to get a feel for how heavy/structurally sound the solidsteel racks felt? If I understand correctly, the Solidsteel hyprspike series tries to direct couple the energy to the floor. For a solid mass table like VPI, is that a good thing?

Very heavy and well made. Fit and finish was also first rate. Yes, the rack is designed to couple the stand to the floor. If used on a solid foundation, it should work very well, very much like your VPI stand.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby cbl117 » Thu May 17, 2018 12:24 pm

Brf wrote:
cbl117 wrote:

Very heavy and well made. Fit and finish was also first rate. Yes, the rack is designed to couple the stand to the floor. If used on a solid foundation, it should work very well, very much like your VPI stand.

Excellent to hear. The new room will be on the first floor, and on a concrete slab.
cbl117

Postby tony22 » Mon May 21, 2018 9:15 am

spinblackcircle wrote:
I looked into doing the same, and when it was all said and done the DIY 80/20 rack was coming close to 1K. In the end I chose to do nothing since I have a SRA platform but really need to in the future.

If I were to buy a retail rack, I personally really like the Mapleshade Sampson rack. (Which could also be DIY'd).

The Samson seems to be Mapleshade's take on the Flexirack from the DIY sites. I have no problem with that, but I think the cost is a little excessive. I looked at going the Flexi route a while back, but using heavy duty hardware and shelving like Mapleshade. The rods are easily found on McMaster-Carr, and there are one or two places that sell differently sized 2" thick maple butcher blocks at much less cost. What stopped me was my feeling that a constrained layer or composite shelf is (theoretically) better. I've seen a number of reviews that suggest racks made from single species type woods all have their own sounds. Not looking for that.
Pass XP-20, AVA 600R, Shahinian Diapasons, PS Audio DMP & DS, VPI Avenger with 12" 3DR, Benz SL and L2, SS Zephyr Mk.2, Ortofon Quintet Mono, Pass XP-15, Logitech Touch, RSA Haley and PSA conditioning, PAD and AZ cables.
tony22

Postby Golear » Mon May 21, 2018 11:21 am

I think everything is going to have its own sound and you have to find something that suits your tastes, by trail and error.

I've made a metal stand for my turntable, out of mild steel rectangular tube. The tube is 1 x 2, and the height, width and depth are prime numbers. I suppose the tube should also be prime numbers, like 2 x 3 - but that made the stand too "big" for my needs. The tubes are fully enclosed, and the joins are hollow and allows the whole stand to be filled with sand via one hole at the top. It's very non-resonant. It's not an original idea. Quite a few scientific apparatus designed to measure the quantum characteristics of super-cooled atoms have stands filled with sand.

The turntable sits on a plywood shelf, and steel members pass under the shelf, lined up with the turntable feet. And since the steel members are lined up with the turntable feet, the shelf material might not matter too much. It's just compressed by the mass of the turntable and is not supporting it.

The steel can be bought in bulk, and you can cut it, and then somebody can weld it. I've seen a lot of listings for mobile welding services on craigslist.
Golear

Postby bdp24 » Tue May 22, 2018 5:56 am

I have the old Solid Steel Model 48 racks, and they're adequate, but nothing special sonically. If buying now I would get a stand from Sound Anchors, and put an isolation shelf (a Minus K, or one of the active microscope units) on top. Not cheap (the Minus K sells for a little over two grand), but very effective isolation. A more economical alternative is one of the Townshend Audio Seismic products in place of the Minus K. A set of four Seismic Pods (what I have until my Aries 1) runs about $400. Effective isolation to about 3Hz.
bdp24

Postby tony22 » Tue May 22, 2018 8:00 am

@bdp24, do you find any negatives with the Seismic Pods? I was looking at these as well.
Pass XP-20, AVA 600R, Shahinian Diapasons, PS Audio DMP & DS, VPI Avenger with 12" 3DR, Benz SL and L2, SS Zephyr Mk.2, Ortofon Quintet Mono, Pass XP-15, Logitech Touch, RSA Haley and PSA conditioning, PAD and AZ cables.
tony22

Postby jeffro » Wed May 23, 2018 12:06 am

cbl117, I like high mass for a turntable stand. I use a Sound Anchor stand under my turntable. You can have one custom made to your liking, and the bass will get much tighter. Drawbacks are the heavy weight of the stand. I had one custom built and the stand alone is over 250 lbs., but I like it so much I am going to have one built for my other turntable. I can send you pics and details if you like. Stand cost was around $2,100 shipped. Thanks, Jeff
jeffro

Postby MMMC » Sat May 26, 2018 7:30 pm

@cb117,

May I suggest, if turntable isolation is the primary concern, a Symposium "Ultra" platform will properly address all the concerns related to your turntable, without the need to replace all of your current rack system. It will make a difference.

MMMC
One of the last HR-X production/ 3DR 12" arm/ ZYX Universe II LOMC with Copper wire/ RCM Sensor 2 phono preamp/ Silver Audio Appasionata IC/ Audio Sensibiity Statement Silver Phono V2 IC
MMMC

PreviousNext

Return to Support Forum