Turntable Isolation - Which Rack is Best

Turntable Isolation - Which Rack is Best

Postby cbl117 » Tue May 15, 2018 8:09 pm

I am moving into a new stereo room, and will consolidate my 2 channel system and headphone system, which will require space for two VPI tables. I currently use the VPI Turntable Stand with 4.5" thick bright star audio sandbox under my Classic Signature. The rack is filled with lead shot for added damping and I've been using oak shelves with a 2" thick bright star audio sandbox under my Hovland HP-100 Preamp with MC phono. I have no complaints about the VPI rack other than needing extra space for the second table. First world problems....

I'm considering a 48" wide tiger maple stack rack from Timbernation. Can anyone speculate as to whether the move to a tiger maple rack will be a downgrade, sidegrade, upgrade? I have been thinking about adding 4" tiger maple isolation platforms on top of the timbernation rack with BDR cones/pucks to get that extra isolation directly under each turntable. Seeking opinions please! Thank you in advance!

tiger.in walnut.stain2.jpg
tiger.in walnut.stain2.jpg (100.96 KiB) Viewed 1158 times


DSCN1116.jpg
DSCN1116.jpg (1.82 MiB) Viewed 1158 times
User avatar
cbl117
Senior Member
 
Posts: 140
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:54 pm

Re: Turntable Isolation - Which Rack is Best

Postby Brf » Tue May 15, 2018 8:35 pm

Before I give you my opinion, do you want to sell your Bright Star top plate? ;)
User avatar
Brf
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3525
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:23 am

Re: Turntable Isolation - Which Rack is Best

Postby cbl117 » Tue May 15, 2018 8:52 pm

Brf wrote:Before I give you my opinion, do you want to sell your Bright Star top plate? ;)


Brf, I actually have the entire rack listed here, and on Audiogon :D

But would love your unbiased opinion :lol:
User avatar
cbl117
Senior Member
 
Posts: 140
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:54 pm

Re: Turntable Isolation - Which Rack is Best

Postby Gshepardbuster » Wed May 16, 2018 5:21 am

I have two Timbernation racks made with 2" maple with standard side posts. I have a Classic Signature on one and an RP6 on the other. Both TTs are directly on rack without added isolation and I have no complaints. My pups like them too.
Attachments
IMG_3689.JPG
IMG_3689.JPG (1.26 MiB) Viewed 1117 times
Gshepardbuster
Member
 
Posts: 58
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:09 am

Re: Turntable Isolation - Which Rack is Best

Postby Brf » Wed May 16, 2018 7:46 am

cbl117 wrote:
Brf wrote:Before I give you my opinion, do you want to sell your Bright Star top plate? ;)


Brf, I actually have the entire rack listed here, and on Audiogon :D

But would love your unbiased opinion :lol:


The Timbernation racks are very nice looking and well constructed. They have a very high WAF and can be accepted in most decors. You will be VERY hard pressed to get a better performing rack combo than what you have right now. I use to have the Bright Star rack and I regret giving it away to a friend. If you are looking to separate the Bright Star from your stand, send me a PM.
User avatar
Brf
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3525
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:23 am

Re: Turntable Isolation - Which Rack is Best

Postby Dorian » Wed May 16, 2018 8:46 am

Gshepardbuster wrote:I have two Timbernation racks made with 2" maple with standard side posts. I have a Classic Signature on one and an RP6 on the other. Both TTs are directly on rack without added isolation and I have no complaints. My pups like them too.

Impressive beasts! Dogs are nice too. :lol:
VPI Prime #959 & Outer Ring| SoundSmith MIMC Star | Herron VTPH-2A | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium HP Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Audio Sensibility Cables | Symposium Ultra | AQ Niagara 1000 | Stillpoints LPI | Focal Clear
User avatar
Dorian
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1019
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:14 pm
Location: Westchester County, New York

Re: Turntable Isolation - Which Rack is Best

Postby cbl117 » Wed May 16, 2018 10:08 am

Brf wrote:
cbl117 wrote:
Brf wrote:Before I give you my opinion, do you want to sell your Bright Star top plate? ;)


Brf, I actually have the entire rack listed here, and on Audiogon :D

But would love your unbiased opinion :lol:


The Timbernation racks are very nice looking and well constructed. They have a very high WAF and can be accepted in most decors. You will be VERY hard pressed to get a better performing rack combo than what you have right now. I use to have the Bright Star rack and I regret giving it away to a friend. If you are looking to separate the Bright Star from your stand, send me a PM.


brf,

I was doing some research last night, and realized that all maple racks, while heavy, have their own resonance and may/may not be what I'm looking for. I read up on Solidsteel's hyperspike line, and may go with the HJ-4. Do you have any experience with Solidsteel? They seem to be well regarded.
User avatar
cbl117
Senior Member
 
Posts: 140
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:54 pm

Re: Turntable Isolation - Which Rack is Best

Postby Brf » Wed May 16, 2018 10:26 am

I have never used Solidsteel racks, but I have physically seen them and they are very well made and excellent looking.

Most stands and top plates will not filter out all resonance frequencies, therefore, you need to find a stand that does an excellent job and allows the table's footers and plinth design to do the rest.
User avatar
Brf
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3525
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:23 am

Re: Turntable Isolation - Which Rack is Best

Postby tony22 » Wed May 16, 2018 1:16 pm

@cb117, I have a similar dilemma. I have to figure a new rack solution for my system, as my Avenger exceeds the top shelf footprint of my current (old) CWD rack. That rack has long been in need of replacement anyway. If I were on the West Coast I'd be hopping all over your stuff to at least deal with my TT solution, but since you're looking for local sale only I guess it'll be someone else's good luck.

I've looked at Solidsteel's Hyperspike line too. Looks good, but I've also looked at Adona, Timbernation, Steve Blinn, a lot of the usual suspects. It got to where I started looking at the 8020 site to build my own (if you go there you'll see structural components that look suspiciously like those used by a number audio rack builders). But the problem is the shelves. With composite / constrained layer audio shelves going from $150 or so to many hundreds of dollars, I started to wonder if building just the rack then buying shelves would really save me all that much.
Pass XP-20, AVA 600R, Shahinian Diapasons, PS Audio DMP & DS, VPI Avenger with 12" 3DR, Benz SL and L2, SS Zephyr Mk.2, Ortofon Quintet Mono, Pass XP-15, Logitech Touch, RSA Haley and PSA conditioning, PAD and AZ cables.
tony22
Senior Member
 
Posts: 406
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:38 pm

Re: Turntable Isolation - Which Rack is Best

Postby spinblackcircle » Wed May 16, 2018 2:01 pm

tony22 wrote:@cb117, I have a similar dilemma. I have to figure a new rack solution for my system, as my Avenger exceeds the top shelf footprint of my current (old) CWD rack. That rack has long been in need of replacement anyway. If I were on the West Coast I'd be hopping all over your stuff to at least deal with my TT solution, but since you're looking for local sale only I guess it'll be someone else's good luck.

I've looked at Solidsteel's Hyperspike line too. Looks good, but I've also looked at Adona, Timbernation, Steve Blinn, a lot of the usual suspects. It got to where I started looking at the 8020 site to build my own (if you go there you'll see structural components that look suspiciously like those used by a number audio rack builders). But the problem is the shelves. With composite / constrained layer audio shelves going from $150 or so to many hundreds of dollars, I started to wonder if building just the rack then buying shelves would really save me all that much.


I looked into doing the same, and when it was all said and done the DIY 80/20 rack was coming close to 1K. In the end I chose to do nothing since I have a SRA platform but really need to in the future.

If I were to buy a retail rack, I personally really like the Mapleshade Sampson rack. (Which could also be DIY'd).
VPI Prime/Grado Reference Master, VPI 16.5 RCM, Audio Research LP1, Audio Research VSI60, Martin Logan Electromotion ESL, ClearDay and Audio Sensibility Cables
User avatar
spinblackcircle
Senior Member
 
Posts: 609
Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:09 pm
Location: Boston, MA

Next

Return to Support Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

x