Ortofon Cadenza Bronze v. Cadenza Black – recommendations

Ortofon Cadenza Bronze v. Cadenza Black – recommendations

Postby Beck » Tue May 15, 2018 7:39 pm

I have read several threads outside this forum extolling the virtues of each cartridge and I am struggling with the choice between the two for my set up listed in my signature block. I have heard the Bronze and like the warmth it offers. Although I have not listened to the Black, I have listened to an A95 and I am aware of its detailed sound. The only anomaly with my system is low level groove noise that I hear in the dead wax that I cannot eliminate. I set up my VTA with a digital microscope and fine-tuned my system by ear and adjusted azimuth with a Fozgometer. My VTF is set at 1.70g and my dual pivot offsetting force is the same. I have a dedicated listening room with acoustical treatment. Thank you in advance for your thoughts and recommendations.
Last edited by Beck on Wed May 16, 2018 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Prime #16-67| Dual Pivot | Shelter 501 Mk III| ADS | Ayre P-5xe phono preamp, K-5xe preamp, and V-5xe amp | Audio Sensibility Statement SE interconnects and Testament speaker cables | Magneplanar 3.7i | Mapleshade audio rack
Beck

Re: Ortofon Cardenza Bronze v. Cardenza Black – recommendati

Postby Brf » Tue May 15, 2018 8:41 pm

No one listens to dead wax, therefore, don’t sweat the noise that it produces. Personally, I prefer the more detail offered by the Black over the Bronze. It would match and compliment your Ayre components very nicely.
Brf
Site Admin

Re: Ortofon Cadenza Bronze v. Cadenza Black – recommendati

Postby Beck » Tue May 15, 2018 9:07 pm

Thank you for your response.
Last edited by Beck on Wed May 16, 2018 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Prime #16-67| Dual Pivot | Shelter 501 Mk III| ADS | Ayre P-5xe phono preamp, K-5xe preamp, and V-5xe amp | Audio Sensibility Statement SE interconnects and Testament speaker cables | Magneplanar 3.7i | Mapleshade audio rack
Beck

Postby fischerd » Wed May 16, 2018 11:14 am

I wouldn't base the merits of the Cadenza Black off of hearing the A95. Though the Cadenza Black is more analytical and neutral vs. the Cadenza Bronze, I wouldn't put it in the same category as the A95 and both are completely different cartridge both in sound and materials. With your Mag speakers, which offers a richer musicality and warmer presentation, you may find the Cadenza Black a better balanced sound for your system if it already leans toward a fuller/warmer presentation. Both would be excellent choices and the Cadenza Black offer significant improvements on detail, spacial presentation (3 dimensionally), timing and rhythm, and many more attributes. But if you can live without the subtle warmth of the Cadenza Bronze, the Cadenza Black seems like a true winner in my opinion. I have a few acquaintances who were struggling with the same decision between the Cadenza Bronze and Black. Those who chose the Black had no buyer's remorse at all. Best of luck, regardless of which cart you go with.
fischerd

Postby Stringreen » Wed May 16, 2018 2:26 pm

Another way to go is the Winfield.....now that there is a new one (the old one was excellent - better than the Black) it can be had much cheaper.
Stringreen

Re: Ortofon Cadenza Bronze v. Cadenza Black – recommendati

Postby Beck » Wed May 16, 2018 7:51 pm

fischerd wrote:I wouldn't base the merits of the Cadenza Black off of hearing the A95. Though the Cadenza Black is more analytical and neutral vs. the Cadenza Bronze, I wouldn't put it in the same category as the A95 and both are completely different cartridge both in sound and materials. With your Mag speakers, which offers a richer musicality and warmer presentation, you may find the Cadenza Black a better balanced sound for your system if it already leans toward a fuller/warmer presentation. Both would be excellent choices and the Cadenza Black offer significant improvements on detail, spacial presentation (3 dimensionally), timing and rhythm, and many more attributes. But if you can live without the subtle warmth of the Cadenza Bronze, the Cadenza Black seems like a true winner in my opinion. I have a few acquaintances who were struggling with the same decision between the Cadenza Bronze and Black. Those who chose the Black had no buyer's remorse at all. Best of luck, regardless of which cart you go with.

A fellow VPI owner is letting me audition his Cadenza Bronze. I hope to borrow it this weekend. I appreciate your point how my Maggies already add warmth to my system. I will report back with my decision. I thank everyone for their comments and apologize for the "Cardenza" faux pas.
Beck

Re: Ortofon Cadenza Bronze v. Cadenza Black – recommendation

Postby Bob » Wed May 16, 2018 9:44 pm

I actually have a different take on it. I have personally used the Cadenza Bronze and the Cadenza Black. To me, the Black sounds a bit nicer, but only when adjusted perfectly. I have to adjust the VTA based on different record thicknesses to have it sound its best. The Cadenza Bronze, however, is more forgiving. It sounds good within a larger VTA band,so I don't have to adjust the VTA for each different record thickness. Therefore, I use the Cadenza Bronze for demos at shows since it is easier and more forgiving on setup. The Winfeld, to me, has the same issues as the Cadenza Black. When adjusted correctly it sounds great, otherwise, not so great.
Bob
VPI Certified Dealer

Return to General Audio