Please Recommend Me a Cartridge

Please Recommend Me a Cartridge

Postby Audiophilehi » Thu May 10, 2018 2:29 pm

Would like some recommendations on a MC cartridge to replace my long in the tooth Lyra Helikon Stereo. The Helikon still sounds fantastic to me but it's over 10 years old and I feel it's time for an upgrade.

So far my list is short. What's intrigued me so far are the Ortofon Cadenza Black and Bronze cartridges. Also on the short list is the Lyra Delos. I have not listened to either of them but read some nice things about them.

I would like to keep my budget in the $2,000-$2,500 range. I know the Cadenza Black is a bit higher. (You know how budgets go)

My analog front end is the VPI HR-X turntable and VPI 12.7 tonearm. Preamp is McIntosh C2500.

Thanks in advance!!
Audiophilehi

Re: Please Recommend Me a Cartridge

Postby Gshepardbuster » Thu May 10, 2018 7:55 pm

Im using a Cadenza Black on a Classic Signature fed into a Mcintosh C1000 and it don't sound bad...no experience with the other carts.
Gshepardbuster

Postby MOON » Thu May 10, 2018 7:55 pm

Those 3 are good choices. You may want to consider VAS . A lot here rave about their cartridges and Harry really likes them. Soundsmith is another good choice. The Soundsmith total rebuilds are 20% of the original cart price which is a bargin.

That bronze cart will be warmer sounding than the black. It's a tough decision. So many choices.
Prime 152, Lyra Kloes, Waynes Perifery Ring, Stillpoint LPI , Simaudio 610 Evolution phono stage , Audio Sensibility silver statement phono cable.
MOON

Postby Lewisranchmike » Thu May 10, 2018 9:36 pm

Lewisranchmike wrote:
Audiophilehi wrote:Would like some recommendations on a MC cartridge to replace my long in the tooth Lyra Helikon Stereo. The Helikon still sounds fantastic to me but it's over 10 years old and I feel it's time for an upgrade.

So far my list is short. What's intrigued me so far are the Ortofon Cadenza Black and Bronze cartridges. Also on the short list is the Lyra Delos. I have not listened to either of them but read some nice things about them.

I would like to keep my budget in the $2,000-$2,500 range. I know the Cadenza Black is a bit higher. (You know how budgets go)

My analog front end is the VPI HR-X turntable and VPI 12.7 tonearm. Preamp is McIntosh C2500.

Thanks in advance!!

I would like to recommend VAS NOVA .8mv or VAS NOVA Signatures.4mv. I replaced my Delos when I heard them. Harry sums it up well when he says they are very smooth.

Mike in Austin
VPI PRIME, VAS Nova Gold, TerraStone Footers, Symposium Seque Iso, Stillpoints LPI, VPI Periphery Ring, Eagle PSU, Roadrunner Tach, Audio Sensibility Statement, ARC Ref Phono 2SE, ARC Ref 5SE, McIntosh MC252, KimberKable 8TC, Vandersteen 3A Sig
Lewisranchmike

Postby 33+1third » Thu May 10, 2018 11:52 pm

I think getting in line for the VAS .4mv mentioned in the H.W. thread might be a good idea.

SPECIAL VAS NOVA/HW CARTRIDGE
"Music is my Time Machine"
33+1third

Postby gene9p » Fri May 11, 2018 9:21 am

33+1third wrote:I think getting in line for the VAS .4mv mentioned in the H.W. thread might be a good idea.

I see you have an African grey parrot....me too..Randy will be 29 this June...
CLASSIC 2 WALNUT,w CLASSIC 3 ARM, SDS
HW SPECIAL VAS NOVA .8v
MANLEY CHINOOOK
Vinnie Rossie LIO integrated
KRELL CD Player
BRYSTON BDA-1
HARBETH 7es-3
MORROW AUDIO + AUDIO SENSIBILITY Cables
WAYNE'S OUTER RING
gene9p

Postby 33+1third » Fri May 11, 2018 9:27 am

gene9p wrote:
33+1third wrote:I think getting in line for the VAS .4mv mentioned in the H.W. thread might be a good idea.

That's my best friend "Bird" she's 30, she loves to dance and sing along ........ Interestingly her favorite group is "Jethro Tull" :lol:
"Music is my Time Machine"
33+1third

Postby DeeCee » Fri May 11, 2018 10:39 am

33+1third wrote:
gene9p wrote:

That's my best friend "Bird" she's 30, she loves to dance and sing along ........ Interestingly her favorite group is "Jethro Tull" :lol:

You would think she was a Temptations fan given how close your last reply is to one of their songs... :P

phpBB [video]
VPI Scout 2/JMW-9/Benz Micro Wood SL/Graham Slee 3 & PSU1/Sony DVP-S7000/Schiit Audio Bifrost Uber/Sonic Euphoria PLC/Aragon 4004 Mk II/Aerial Acoustics Model 7
DeeCee

Postby Audiophilehi » Fri May 11, 2018 11:09 am

Gshepardbuster wrote:Im using a Cadenza Black on a Classic Signature fed into a Mcintosh C1000 and it don't sound bad...no experience with the other carts.

Thanks Gshepardbuster!
Speakers: Von Schweikert VR-5 Anniversary MK II Sub: JL Audio F113 Amps: McIntosh MC452, MC207 McIntosh C2500 Turntable: VPI HR-X 12.7 TONEARM (2) and SDS.Cartridges: Lyra Helikon Stereo & Mono. Oppo UDP-205 Aurender N100H. Wireworld CBL's
Audiophilehi

Postby Audiophilehi » Fri May 11, 2018 11:10 am

MOON wrote:Those 3 are good choices. You may want to consider VAS . A lot here rave about their cartridges and Harry really likes them. Soundsmith is another good choice. The Soundsmith total rebuilds are 20% of the original cart price which is a bargin.

That bronze cart will be warmer sounding than the black. It's a tough decision. So many choices.

Thanks Moon! Yes.....there are so many choices. I will look into the Vas as well!
Speakers: Von Schweikert VR-5 Anniversary MK II Sub: JL Audio F113 Amps: McIntosh MC452, MC207 McIntosh C2500 Turntable: VPI HR-X 12.7 TONEARM (2) and SDS.Cartridges: Lyra Helikon Stereo & Mono. Oppo UDP-205 Aurender N100H. Wireworld CBL's
Audiophilehi

Next

Return to General Audio