Technics SL-1200 to Prime?

Re: Technics SL-1200 to Prime?

Postby Peer Gynt » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:49 am

Congratulations!
Peer Gynt

Postby 10ovr » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:06 am

pathguy wrote:Sorry--it's been awhile, but after some issues I placed an order yesterday with Upscale Audio for a Prime. In stock and Soundsmith MIMC star cartridge will be mounted and shipped out later today! Can't wait!

Good move .the Prime is a great TT,,The guys and girls at Upscale are top notch ,,Buy all my equipment from them,, Just ordered a set of new REL S-3s from Craig at a lower price then I found used or demo's ,Hard to beat that,,,,
10ovr

Postby pathguy » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:58 am

Ok folks, the day finally came! My Prime was shipped to me on Tuesday (two days early) from the super awesome folks at Upscale Audio! They mounted my Soundsmith MIMC star for me, so all I had to do was assemble, make a few adjustments, and off I went.

Because of work/holiday shenanigans I have not spent an extended amount of time with the Prime, but let me tell you (what you already know): this turntable and cartridge combination is totally amazing! First off: it looks like a piece of art. It's so substantial: that is one of the things I don't care for about Rega: they are so light. Not dissing them at all, they make great turntables...but the Prime is just a monster. Plus: made right in NJ ;)

I am going to try and do a side-by-side with my 1200 (but space might be the limiting factor), but I could tell the moment I dropped the needle on my first listen: this combination blows my trusty 1200 out of the park. Everything sounds so clean (for lack of a better term), and I have literally heard things that I hadn't before. I feel like the entire frequency spectrum has been widened.

That unipivot arm is soooo sensitive: and it is taking me time to get used to the feel of it. However, I am a very happy customer!

One question: the video (and manual) just have you putting the vinyl directly on the platter (after the washer is on) without any mat. The VPI felt mat came with it: is that just to keep dust off the platter when not in use, or do most of you use it while playing vinyl?
pathguy

Postby Brf » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:25 am

pathguy wrote:One question: the video (and manual) just have you putting the vinyl directly on the platter (after the washer is on) without any mat. The VPI felt mat came with it: is that just to keep dust off the platter when not in use, or do most of you use it while playing vinyl?

Congrats on the new table. There is no correct way to answer your question with respect to using a platter mat or leaving the platter bare, it comes down to user preference. Try both ways and make your own informed choice.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Buck115 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:50 pm

pathguy wrote:One question: the video (and manual) just have you putting the vinyl directly on the platter (after the washer is on) without any mat. The VPI felt mat came with it: is that just to keep dust off the platter when not in use, or do most of you use it while playing vinyl?

When I setup my first VPI table, it seemed counterintuitive to me to clamp a flat piece of vinyl (prone to damage) with music inscribe on it to a metal platter, seemed like a recipe for disaster, so I used a mat. However, I figured if VPI and VPI owners were doing this, I might as well try it. I've been using my Classic without a mat for 4 years now and for me it sounds better without a mat and no damage to my LPs.

As Brf suggests, "try it both ways and make your own informed choice".
2 Channel: VPI The Classic | Ortofon Quintet Blue | Sunfire Symphonic Reference Preamp | B&K Reference 200.2 | Denon DCD-1650AR, DRM-800 | Sonos Connect | Klipsch KLF-20s | Monster HTS 5100 | AQ King Cobra ICs, Gibraltar Bi-wires
Buck115

Postby pathguy » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:32 pm

Thanks for the replies!

I've used it with and without a mat...honestly, this thing sounds so good either way I can't decide.

This is an amazing turntable and cartridge: well worth the wait!
pathguy

Postby Johnny » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:56 pm

pathguy wrote:Thanks for the replies!

I've used it with and without a mat...honestly, this thing sounds so good either way I can't decide.

Not to throw a curve, but there are many excellent after market mats available...it never ends :D
Johnny

Postby Mr_Putty » Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:19 am

You can also try placing an o-ring (roughly 1 & 1/2 inch diameter) on your record, under your screw clamp. Just center it visually and use moderate/light clamping pressure. The cross section should be about 1/8 inch thick. They are cheaper than a mat. YMMV
Mr_Putty

Postby pathguy » Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:32 am

Johnny wrote:
pathguy wrote:Thanks for the replies!

Not to throw a curve, but there are many excellent after market mats available...it never ends :D

LOL: there is always something more to buy, isn't there?? :lol:

I've been using it without the mat for now.
pathguy

Previous

Return to Future VPI Owners