Silk Thread Belt on a Prime

Re: Silk Thread Belt on a Prime

Postby Orchids1 » Wed May 16, 2018 9:24 am

Neither of the knots that Brf mentioned are difficult to tie, and there are easy instructions and videos on the internet for tying the blood knot, variations on which are used by fly fishermen. I think the knots would be a more secure connection than a super-glue weld. Rich
Avenger (w/mods), SS Paua cart, Phoenix Eagle psu and tach, Sutherland 20/20 phono, Audionet Pre 1 G3, Benchmark AHB2 monos, YG Carmel 2 spkrs, JL e112 subs, Nordost/Audio Sensibilty ic, Kubla-Sonsa spkr cable; Auralic Aries renderer, Auralic Vega dac.
Orchids1

Postby Mr_Putty » Wed May 16, 2018 6:28 pm

Fine thread belt update. I used a simple square knot, found it to be as small as any others and added a bit of CA to secure it. Seems to work fine but record brushing requires some manual help.
I just played a few records and ran a speed test with RPM and Turntabulator. The wow and flutter is just below 0.5 % and looks very smooth, but the speed is about 5.3% slow. With any rubber belts it was fast, about 33.45. I liked what I heard but the speed will be a challenge. Changing belt positions on the motor pulley only changed speed about 0.05 rpm.
Maybe I need to find a thicker cord? I could not find any local suppliers of silk thread in Austin, TX.
Suggestions?
Thanks,
JTA
Mr_Putty

Postby Brf » Thu May 17, 2018 8:05 am

Mr_Putty wrote:Fine thread belt update. I used a simple square knot, found it to be as small as any others and added a bit of CA to secure it. Seems to work fine but record brushing requires some manual help.
I just played a few records and ran a speed test with RPM and Turntabulator. The wow and flutter is just below 0.5 % and looks very smooth, but the speed is about 5.3% slow. With any rubber belts it was fast, about 33.45. I liked what I heard but the speed will be a challenge. Changing belt positions on the motor pulley only changed speed about 0.05 rpm.
Maybe I need to find a thicker cord? I could not find any local suppliers of silk thread in Austin, TX.
Suggestions?
Thanks,
JTA

If you decide to play with different belt materials and thickness, you definitely need a motor controller.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Lewisranchmike » Thu May 17, 2018 9:44 pm

Mr_Putty wrote:Fine thread belt update. I used a simple square knot, found it to be as small as any others and added a bit of CA to secure it. Seems to work fine but record brushing requires some manual help.
Suggestions?
Thanks,
JTA

Hello JTA:

I live in Austin also and there IS NO WHERE in Austin to buy surgical thread. If was a brutal search to find that out:0) I ended up buying No2 and No4 off Amazon. I also used a square knot, the old Boy Scout in me.

Best,

Mike in Austin
VPI PRIME, VAS Nova Gold, TerraStone Footers, Symposium Seque Iso, Stillpoints LPI, VPI Periphery Ring, Eagle PSU, Roadrunner Tach, Audio Sensibility Statement, ARC Ref Phono 2SE, ARC Ref 5SE, McIntosh MC252, KimberKable 8TC, Vandersteen 3A Sig
Lewisranchmike

Postby Mr_Putty » Mon May 21, 2018 11:24 pm

Mike,
As Brf has pointed out, I really need a motor speed controller. I missed out on a Phoenix, so thought I would build one from parts. But a good kit with all the parts and instructions does not seem to exist.... Something I noticed when I first installed a string belt is the ease with which the platter now rotates. Then it became more obvious, a rubber belt has more friction, requiring more motor torque. And less power required should result in less cogging, and that could explain sonic challenges, improvements and less wow and flutter. My string is about 1/64 inch diameter, but I still don’t know what it’s made from. If anyone knows please chime in. It’s Model airplane hinge thread from many years ago, made by Top Flight. Searches revealed nothing. Have you measured your belts, and can you recommend one over the other? I would be happy to buy some from you for testing, if you have extra.
Thanks,
JTA
Mr_Putty

Postby Lewisranchmike » Wed May 23, 2018 9:10 pm

Mr_Putty wrote:Mike,
As Brf has pointed out, I really need a motor speed controller. I missed out on a Phoenix, so thought I would build one from parts. But a good kit with all the parts and instructions does not seem to exist.... Something I noticed when I first installed a string belt is the ease with which the platter now rotates. Then it became more obvious, a rubber belt has more friction, requiring more motor torque. And less power required should result in less cogging, and that could explain sonic challenges, improvements and less wow and flutter. My string is about 1/64 inch diameter, but I still don’t know what it’s made from. If anyone knows please chime in. It’s Model airplane hinge thread from many years ago, made by Top Flight. Searches revealed nothing. Have you measured your belts, and can you recommend one over the other? I would be happy to buy some from you for testing, if you have extra.
Thanks,
JTA

Hello JTA:

I went to Amazon and just searched for No 2 silk. It appears to be a hobby type thread and it is 2m long so just enough to get 41” belt with a little left over. It is not surgical silk but it is good enough for my first foray. The manufacturer is Griffin and it only cost about $4. It is Natural Silk 100% Naturseide the package says. It is usually in stock and with Amazon Prime I get it in 2 days. I hope that helps

Mike in Austin
VPI PRIME, VAS Nova Gold, TerraStone Footers, Symposium Seque Iso, Stillpoints LPI, VPI Periphery Ring, Eagle PSU, Roadrunner Tach, Audio Sensibility Statement, ARC Ref Phono 2SE, ARC Ref 5SE, McIntosh MC252, KimberKable 8TC, Vandersteen 3A Sig
Lewisranchmike

Postby Lewisranchmike » Wed May 23, 2018 9:36 pm

Mr_Putty wrote:Mike,
Thanks,
JTA

Yes, I think it is necessary to get speed controller, I have a Phoenix. But I guess you could use a app on your iPhone like RPM. The only issue with that is that when you remove iPhone the platter loading will change. You definitely have to tweak the motor distance to get 33.33X Also package says 60mm so I think that is thickness.

If you have trouble getting thread you can have my No 2, I have a No 4 I have received but not put on yet.

Best,

Mike in Austin
Lewisranchmike

Previous

Return to General Audio