Will Classic 1 TT support peripheral ring and record weight?

Will Classic 1 TT support peripheral ring and record weight?

Postby zheng4 » Thu May 21, 2020 3:26 pm

Dear All,
I have a 30 anniversary Classic 1 TT, regularly use the VPI peripheral ring together with VPI deluxe clamp. I would like to try a different brand record weight which is 2.1 lb. Is it too much weight together with the peripheral ring for the motor?
Thanks for the advice.
zheng4

Re: Will Classic 1 TT support peripheral ring and record wei

Postby mmai » Sat May 23, 2020 2:14 pm

IMHO, I wouldn't about the motor. However, it is the platter bearing that you need to pay attention to.

Before putting on such a heavy center weight, you should inspect the condition of the bearing -- both the ball and the thrust plate to make sure there isn't any wear, especially you've never performed any maintenance on the TT as mentioned on your other thread.

Bearing wear indication usually includes flat-top ball and/or dimpled thrust plate.

Hope that helps.
VPI Classic 3 (Si3N4 ceramic bearing ball + sapphire thrust plate, HR-X pulley w/ 3 belts) | Multi-armwands w/ SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC Star ES, Denon/Audio MusiKraft DL-103R, Audio Technica AT-33Mono | Aesthetix Rhea (modded)
mmai

Postby edw » Sat May 23, 2020 2:52 pm

I think the VPI HRX weight is about that mass, no?
edw

Postby jonathanb » Sat May 23, 2020 3:48 pm

edw wrote:I think the VPI HRX weight is about that mass, no?

It weighs 1.6 lbs.
Prime Signature #9 | 10" 3DR/VdH RG-8 | 10" 3DR/Transfiguration Proteus | 10" 3D/VAS Nova Mono | Aurorasound ViDA | Merrill Cara | Merrill Thor (x2) | Evolution Acoustics MicroOne | Morrow and Gryphon cables
jonathanb

Return to Support Forum