Designer (Leather) Prime

Re: Designer (Leather) Prime

Postby Mr_Putty » Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:46 am

The photo is hard to judge, most designer photos have high contrast and reflections, or color contrast to engage the viewers senses. To me the visual appeal is lost because it looks like everything is coated with a primer (seems unfinished). We don’t see the shiny platter or arm finish most are used to and like. A new Fatboy arm could help with the visuals a lot. Like a new pair of shoes, you don’t really love them until they are broken in.
Mr_Putty

Postby Orchids1 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:22 am

It looks to me as though the entire thing, including the tonearm and virtually everything else, is covered in leather or possibly painted in a matching color. The leather and the taupe shade blunt the lines of the table and mask the industrial design that gives the table its sculptural look. If a decorator wanted to use a VPI table as a design element, I think he or she would feature it on a parsons table or similar piece of furniture without any other electronics, hide all the wiring, and let the industrial look speak for itself. Rich
Avenger (w/mods)+SS Paua, Phoenix Eagle psu/tach, Sutherland 20/20, Audionet Pre1G3, Benchmark AHB2 monos, YG Carmel 2 spkrs, JL e112 subs, Nordost/Audio Sensibilty ic, Kubla-Sonsa spkr cbl; Auralic Aries renderer, Auralic Vega dac; dedic. 20A circuits.
Orchids1

Postby Peer Gynt » Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:15 pm

I looked at the Levinson No 515 today. It has VPI fingerprints all over it.

I read the blurb on it at the store. In the fine print it says that it was designed and built in collaboration with VPI Industries.

3D Printed gimbal mounted tonearm. Looks like 12”. The one I saw is sporting an Ortofon Cadenza Bronze.

Integrated electronic speed control for precision 33 or 45 rpm performance.

SAMA housing is custom built to fit cut out on left side of plinth.

Plinth is of dampened composite and aluminum.

So ... I’m wrong about beating the Levinson. The Levinson is a higher model VPI.

I am also looking at the McIntosh MT5. The table is supposed to be sourced by Clearaudio. The tonearm has some distinct VPIish elements.

If these are bespoke, then they will do fine. I can see a record company having a red one made to celebrate Taylor Swift’s two billionth sale of “RED”. That’s probably the idea behind them.
Peer Gynt

Postby MMMC » Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:38 am

With respect to how much grief I posted about the "Walnut" (vinyl covered) Prime, I feel that the black leather clad Prime is able to retain some of the "VPI" style industrial look, and prefer it to the brown leather version. I'm going to give Mat a "Thumbs up" on this limited edition"

MMMC
One of the last HR-X production/ 3DR 12" arm/ ZYX Universe II LOMC with Copper wire/ RCM Sensor 2 phono preamp/ Silver Audio Appasionata IC/ Audio Sensibiity Statement Silver Phono V2 IC
MMMC

Postby Orchids1 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:36 am

I suppose I should let go of this. A gloss red automotive finish would look great, in my opinion. A number of high-end tables use it. As for black leather, I think it would look good on the back of a Harley, in a dominatrix’s den, or if it were small enough, on someone’s wrist, like a watch. Most VPI tables belong in MOMA’s industrial arts exhibition. Why tart them up. Rich
Avenger (w/mods)+SS Paua, Phoenix Eagle psu/tach, Sutherland 20/20, Audionet Pre1G3, Benchmark AHB2 monos, YG Carmel 2 spkrs, JL e112 subs, Nordost/Audio Sensibilty ic, Kubla-Sonsa spkr cbl; Auralic Aries renderer, Auralic Vega dac; dedic. 20A circuits.
Orchids1

Postby Brf » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:58 am

IMHO, a leather wrapped Prime with a standard VPI platter and a standard 3D tonearm would be aesthetically better.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby 33+1third » Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:56 pm

Carbon Fiber weave Avenger !!! :mrgreen:
"Music is my Time Machine"
33+1third

Postby bdp24 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:11 am

In black it looks pretty Rock 'n' Roll, man. I dig it! I have a pair of Tony Lama western boots that are similar.
bdp24

Postby mike_ » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:58 pm

33+1third wrote:
Ayre Conditioned wrote:I received an email today announcing the new Designer Prime turntables. They look like leather couches with studs. Seriously?

I busted out laughing :lol: :lol: :lol: Wow, who's in charge of the new design team. My personal opinion, VPI should concentrate on making delivery's on time.

Just an observation, holy crap I'm still laughing :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Reminds me of Gibson's most recent guitars. It looks good to them, but nobody else. :lol:

I saw it in Tampa and it really does look striking. I actually do like it.
mike_

Postby 33+1third » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:32 pm

Mike :) Remind me never to let you pick out furniture or do any design work for me.
"Music is my Time Machine"
33+1third

PreviousNext

Return to General Audio