The big leap.....Scout---------->Classic 4

The big leap.....Scout---------->Classic 4

Postby Chazz798 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:58 am

Last month I decided to make a serious upgrade to my system. At the time I was using a Scout 1.1 with an Ortofon 2m Black cartridge. I have always loved the look of the Classic line of VPI turntables and decided to make a big jump to the Classic 4 with the 12" 3D printed arm, periphery ring and a Soundsmith Paua MKII cartridge. I'm in LOVE!
Here's the old set-up and the new.
Scout.jpg
Scout.jpg (140.45 KiB) Viewed 1082 times

2mblack.jpg
2mblack.jpg (68.72 KiB) Viewed 1082 times

c4.jpg
c4.jpg (116.12 KiB) Viewed 1082 times

Pauamkii.jpg
Pauamkii.jpg (57.92 KiB) Viewed 1082 times

room.jpg
room.jpg (101.07 KiB) Viewed 1082 times
Chazz798

Re: The big leap.....Scout---------->Classic 4

Postby Guss2 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:33 pm

Although I own an Avenger, I could certainly live with that table indefinitely. Congratulations on your beautiful endgame. :D
Guss2

Postby mreeter » Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:49 pm

Congrats your Classic 4, she's a looker for sure. I've been eyeballing the one that Upscale Audio is offering, so very tempting :o
VPI Classic Signature SE
VPI SDS
VPI 16.5
Modwright LS-100 Linestage Preamp
Rogue Audio Ares "Magnum" Phono Preamp
VAS Audio Citation II Monoblock Amps
Polk Audio SDA SRS 3.1TL
Dual Rythmik F8 Subs
MIT S1 Shotgun/Audio Sensibility Wires
mreeter

Postby Mr_Putty » Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:16 pm

Yikes! I thought my Prime was high off the floor. Get that thing on a dedicated short stand and greatly improve your sound. It will be worth the effort. Build a stand if you need to. Just how high are the bottom of the TT feet off the floor? Can’t really tell by the photo.
Mr_Putty

Postby Chazz798 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:59 pm

Mr_Putty wrote:Yikes! I thought my Prime was high off the floor. Get that thing on a dedicated short stand and greatly improve your sound. It will be worth the effort. Build a stand if you need to. Just how high are the bottom of the TT feet off the floor? Can’t really tell by the photo.

I've been looking at shorter stands like the one linked below. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.adonacorporation.com/eris6dw.html
Chazz798

Postby Mr_Putty » Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:56 am

Chazz798,
Stillpoints has a different approach in their stands. They got a good review, but, the stand you linked too is beautiful! And it’s as close to my ideal approach as I’ve seen. My setup has been trial and test for nine months. I can’t make any recommendations, but others on the forum probably can. I think what you are considering would be a great choice. They mention granite. I found granite layers made a very musical improvement to my “rack”, which is not ideal by any means. It’s based on a reinforced oak desk on moving dollys. Once positioned, support blocks take some of the load for stability on a tile floor. Moving it is a bit scary as the top shelf is about five feet high, but this was cheap (minus my time) and lets me have some needed space if I want to change something. I use tiedown straps for lifting if I want to change isolation blocks. But I digress... I’ll look for a review of what’s in your link later. Thanks for posting. BTW, my Prime is about 4.5 feet high, still a comfortable height to work with.
Mr_Putty

Postby Chazz798 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:20 am

Ok, I got a new, shorter, stand and filled it with sand and lead shot. Got some new loudspeakers as well, Tannoy Turnberry GR's, sounds great!

Chazz798

Return to Customer Pictures