SUT or SS LOMC preamp

Re: SUT or SS LOMC preamp

Postby edw » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:41 pm

Hashimoto/Sansui - http://www.tube-amps.net/
edw

Postby edw » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:53 pm

audiom3 wrote:I'm curious if you guys have compared a SUT to running your MC cartridge directly into your phono preamp 'wide open' (@47k) assuming you had ample gain available. And if you did and you still prefer the SUT, what exactly were the benefits/improvements over just the phono stage? Thank you.

I do prefer the SUT over just a phono stage (Lehmann Audio Black Cube SEII and Decade). t's a bit hard to describe but, with the SUT inline, there was improvement in air around voices and instruments, dynamics, and low level detail and decay, not overly done as to call attention to itself, but it is there. It is a very seductive sound with the SUT.

SUTs differ though and also depend on properly mating your setup & turns ratio/impedance. That's one reason I like the Lehmann audio. It makes adding a customer parallel resistor to get the right impedance a breeze.

Letsmakeadeal wrote:I headed down the same path a while back and spent some significant money on one of the top SUTs there is. That device was the Coincident Signature. No matter how hard I tried and no matter the interconnect cables there was no way I could eliminate hum. :evil: Belive me, I tried everything. If you purchase an SUT, try to get a money back satisfaction guarantee

So very true. The SUT's I tried all had a money back guarantee.
edw

Postby Jazzgene » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:48 pm

Edw,

Thanks for the link. I will check them out and perhaps order. My other choice is to get the Miyajima KSW as the unit was designed for the Shilabe/Kansui by Mr. Miyajima himself.

My main amp is a WE91a monoblocks using 300b and Hashimoto OTs. They sound really great and I know Hashimoto has a great reputation.
Jazzgene

Postby audiom3 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:06 pm

edw wrote:
audiom3 wrote:I'm curious if you guys have compared a SUT to running your MC cartridge directly into your phono preamp 'wide open' (@47k) assuming you had ample gain available. And if you did and you still prefer the SUT, what exactly were the benefits/improvements over just the phono stage? Thank you.

I do prefer the SUT over just a phono stage (Lehmann Audio Black Cube SEII and Decade). t's a bit hard to describe but, with the SUT inline, there was improvement in air around voices and instruments, dynamics, and low level detail and decay, not overly done as to call attention to itself, but it is there. It is a very seductive sound with the SUT.

SUTs differ though and also depend on properly mating your setup & turns ratio/impedance. That's one reason I like the Lehmann audio. It makes adding a customer parallel resistor to get the right impedance a breeze.

Thank you, edw! This is exactly what I was hoping to read.
Classic w/ 3D arm & VTA Tower; Kiseki Blue N.S.; Benz Micro Wood SL; Sutherland 20/20 Phono Preamp
audiom3

Postby edw » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:41 pm

Jazzgene wrote:Edw,

Thanks for the link. I will check them out and perhaps order. My other choice is to get the Miyajima KSW as the unit was designed for the Shilabe/Kansui by Mr. Miyajima himself.

My main amp is a WE91a monoblocks using 300b and Hashimoto OTs. They sound really great and I know Hashimoto has a great reputation.

As the KSW SUT was made your your cart, Id think that it would be a great match.

Yes, the Hashomotos have a great reputation. Besides the HM7, they make other SUTs as well.
edw

Postby Bill Stevenson » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:32 pm

I see this thread has new life, so thought I would chime in. About a year ago I called and at his recommendation bought a Sky 10 from Bob at Bob's Devices to go with my Conrad Johnson TEA2MAX, 55 db gain. Of several, the cartridge most demanding is an Ortofon Per Winfeld at 0.2mV output. Without the SUT I was not happy with the S/N, but it did work. With the Sky 10 installed at 5:1, it is like magic, open, sweet, quiet. Wonderful! I could not be happier with the result. Thanks Bob!
Bill Stevenson

Postby digitallc » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:24 pm

edw wrote:Hashimoto/Sansui - http://www.tube-amps.net/

I have the Hashimoto HM-7, and prefer it's sound to the Cinemag 1254 (not made by Bob). Mr Isao Asakura still builds and sells the HM-7, and is very responsive to questions.

MC900_TopBack copy.jpg
MC900_TopBack copy.jpg (153.99 KiB) Viewed 1033 times
VPI Prime | VPI ADS | VPI Clamp | Dynavector 20X2L > Hashimoto HM-7 SUT > Parasound Halo JC 3+ > LTA MicroZOTL MZ2 > Parasound Halo A21 > KEF LS50 | Rythmik Servo Subwoofer | Sennheiser HD 800 |Audio Sensibility Cables
digitallc

Postby edw » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:22 am

digitallc wrote:I have the Hashimoto HM-7, and prefer it's sound to the Cinemag 1254 (not made by Bob). Mr Isao Asakura still builds and sells the HM-7, and is very responsive to questions.

Yup he built mine too. Classy guy.
edw

Postby DanaFHolmes » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:58 pm

jmcox wrote:Hi -

I also have a Manley Chinook that I'm using in conjunction with a couple MC carts. Did you find the performance better fed into an SUT then in turn into the 47K load/45db gain the Chinook as opposed to feeding the MC signal directly into the Chinook and utilizing the MC 60db gain of the Chinook? Right now I'm using the Chinook to step up the gain . . . .(??). Improvement with the SUT for gain?

My Chinook sounded way better set at MM 47K with a Bob's Devices SKY 30 then just running the Chinook in MC mode. I am talking like night and day better.
DanaFHolmes

Postby Jazzgene » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:09 pm

So most feel with a LOMC, it is better with a SUT. I am considering a sut -> tube phono preamp. Many choices out there but leaning towards the Hashimoto SUT.
Jazzgene

PreviousNext

Return to General Audio