The problem with a great turntable...

Re: The problem with a great turntable...

Postby mreeter » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:11 pm

longbowbbs wrote:I have been enjoying regular shoot outs between the Prime Sig with Candenza Bronze and the PS Audio DS and DMP. Unlike most battles there is a winner every time, Me! hen I am using a really nice recording with the Prime Sig it is hard to not listen to the whole side regardless of what is on though. Sweet music.

That's a great matchup you've got, the PS Audio Direct Stream DAC and Memory Player are exceptional Digital Components. I would would like to dip my toes in that combo one day. Says something for the Prime Signature!
VPI Classic Signature SE
VPI SDS
VPI 16.5
Modwright LS-100 Linestage Preamp
Rogue Audio Ares "Magnum" Phono Preamp
VAS Audio Citation II Monoblock Amps
Polk Audio SDA SRS 3.1TL
Dual Rythmik F8 Subs
MIT S1 Shotgun/Audio Sensibility Wires
mreeter

Postby tony22 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:23 pm

longbowbbs wrote:I have been enjoying regular shoot outs between the Prime Sig with Candenza Bronze and the PS Audio DS and DMP. Unlike most battles there is a winner every time, Me! hen I am using a really nice recording with the Prime Sig it is hard to not listen to the whole side regardless of what is on though. Sweet music.

I feel the same way about my DS and DMP! :D
Pass XP-20, AVA 600R, Shahinian Diapasons, PS Audio DMP & DS, VPI Avenger with 12" 3DR, Benz SL and L2, SS Zephyr Mk.2, Ortofon Quintet Mono, Pass XP-15, Logitech Touch, RSA Haley and PSA conditioning, PAD and AZ cables.
tony22

Postby Pevo » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:38 pm

I too have the DS and DMP, but I find that it beats my Aries Extended. The PS Audio equipment is pretty damn good, so I’m not surprised. Now I just need to work on getting the Aries working to it’s abilities, I know it can, but can I get it there? I’ve been neglecting my analog setup so I’m out of practice, really should correct that.
Pevo

Postby tony22 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:59 pm

I think you should be able to get at least comparable with the Aries Extended, if not further. What would you say is the place where you think the Aries might not be comparable?
Pass XP-20, AVA 600R, Shahinian Diapasons, PS Audio DMP & DS, VPI Avenger with 12" 3DR, Benz SL and L2, SS Zephyr Mk.2, Ortofon Quintet Mono, Pass XP-15, Logitech Touch, RSA Haley and PSA conditioning, PAD and AZ cables.
tony22

Postby JRM » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:10 pm

I am glad to hear the very positive feedback on the 9 inch 3D arm for the Scout 2. This does rub salt into the wound for me since this arm is not compatible with the Signature Scout 2. I connected into this forum daily since the 3D arm was first announced only to be greatly disappointed. Others should be informed of this issue if they try to upgrade. I am pleased with the Scout 2 but hope that the new Fat Boy arm will be compatible. I also hope that the Fat Boy arm will not be any higher in height since that is an issue with my existing cabinet.
JRM

Postby MMMC » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:36 am

Pevo wrote:I too have the DS and DMP, but I find that it beats my Aries Extended. The PS Audio equipment is pretty damn good, so I’m not surprised. Now I just need to work on getting the Aries working to it’s abilities, I know it can, but can I get it there? I’ve been neglecting my analog setup so I’m out of practice, really should correct that.

Pevo,

I think your Extended Aries will get you at least equal to, and even past your digital with a few upgrades. I have owned the Extended Aries.

There is also a post here in the Forum where additional upgrades past what you see in the photo for the table are discussed. What you see in the photo was the addition of a TNT stand-alone flywheel, and a TNT platter. Which cartridge are you currently using, and which tonearm? Short of moving to a new Avenger, or a late model HRX, the Extended Aries with upgrades can take you quite far. Please post a photo of your Extended Aries, and refer to the post for improvements for the Extended Aries. The cheapest first upgrade would be changing the tonearm bearing, which I already have a new one I never installed because I purchased a HRX. It will improve the performance of any older 12 inch JMW you may have. I had always intended to post it for sale here, but haven't due to procrastination. You can beat digital!!!

MMMC
One of the last HR-X production/ 3DR 12" arm/ ZYX Universe II LOMC with Copper wire/ RCM Sensor 2 phono preamp/ Silver Audio Appasionata IC/ Audio Sensibiity Statement Silver Phono V2 IC
MMMC

Postby Pevo » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:49 am

Since there has been some interest, below is a photo of my turntable. I should add that the photo is a couple of years old, but the only significant change is I replaced the drive belts about a year ago. Now for the details ...

The arm is a 12.5 and it is resting on an early 12.7 base. I did buy a new unipivot spike (no damping trough) but decided not to mount it when I noticed the spike itself appeared identical to the 12.7 (minus the trough). No anti-skate mechanism other than wire twist.

Cartridge is a Shelter 901. My understanding is this is not the best match to the arm, but the specs for the SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC Star (a likely replacement) are similar. I discovered this recently and it surprised me. if I got that wrong please correct me!

Phono interconnects are VPI, first generation.

Not visible are the mini-TNT feet, an “upgrade” from the original cones (which I still have), SDS (old rack mount style), and ring clamp.

Setup tools are the metal VPI alignment jig, digital VTF gage, and Fozgometer.

Phono stage is PS Audio NuWave Phono Converter (NPC). Backstory: I got the NPC because in my system a preamp (at the time I had an Audio Research LS-25 Mk II) made the digital sound worse so I ran the DS DAC direct to the amp. In order to continue listening to vinyl I had to use an A/D converter and the NPC was a logical choice (I had the DS). For those not familiar with the NPC, it converts the analog to DSD 128, which is then fed to the DS via an I2S connection. In my defense, at the time I purchased the NPC it sounded comparable to the Audio Research PH2 I had been using for years. Now that I have the BHK pre (which actually improves the sound of the digital) I can use just the analog phono stage of the NPC, with the possibility of upgrading to any phono stage.

Rest of system is PS Audio DS DAC, DMP, BHK preamp, BHK 250 Amp, Audio Quest Niagara interconnect, Goertz MI-2 speaker cable, and Vandersteen 5 speakers. Source components are on a SolidSteel equipment rack. Amp is on a PS Audio PowerBase.

With respect to my statement the digital beats the analog, my general thought is the analog sounded thin and a little lifeless. I know this is a little vague, but the reality is I haven’t listened to the VPI in several months (yes, sad ...). I really want to get it sounding better, I have about 3000 LPs many of which I do not have on CD, but I’ve lost faith. So, anyone care to comment and/or restore my faith? I’ll consider anything, but will give more credence to suggestions that are offered by multiple parties.
Attachments
299CBF18-FA7B-4BAE-98B4-ACD42E678312.jpeg
299CBF18-FA7B-4BAE-98B4-ACD42E678312.jpeg (1.09 MiB) Viewed 1248 times
Pevo

Postby jonathanb » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:56 am

I have a PS Audio NPC that I use only for digitizing LP's. As a phono preamp, I found it at best mediocre and was probably not as good as the built-in phono section of my now-retired (and ancient) Classé DR-6 preamp.

I recommend that you ditch the PS Audio Nuwave for a decent phono pre and, should you do so, expect that you will find the sound of your analog gear far more satisfying.
jonathanb

Postby mreeter » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:27 am

jonathanb wrote:I have a PS Audio NPC that I use only for digitizing LP's. As a phono preamp, I found it at best mediocre and was probably not as good as the built-in phono section of my now-retired (and ancient) Classé DR-6 preamp.

I recommend that you ditch the PS Audio Nuwave for a decent phono pre and, should you do so, expect that you will find the sound of your analog gear far more satisfying.

My thoughts exactly, while PS Audio produces some wonderful DAC's, the NuWave Phono Pre hasn't received very good reviews. There are much better choices out there that will enhance your Vinyl, for not much more cost.
VPI Classic Signature SE
VPI SDS
VPI 16.5
Modwright LS-100 Linestage Preamp
Rogue Audio Ares "Magnum" Phono Preamp
VAS Audio Citation II Monoblock Amps
Polk Audio SDA SRS 3.1TL
Dual Rythmik F8 Subs
MIT S1 Shotgun/Audio Sensibility Wires
mreeter

Postby tony22 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:29 am

I agree. The NPC is good for digitizing but I don't think it is up to the rest of your analog chain.
tony22

PreviousNext

Return to General Audio