What if...

Re: What if...

Postby elader » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:54 am

Having somewhere to nurture the addicts is a good idea. The VPI house is unique of course. Is there any room at VPI for the construction of a sound room and reception area?

I don't think any of this will help sales or recognition, except among people who already know and love VPI.
VPI Prime, Benz Micro Glider, Phoenix tach, VPI SDS, Parks SUT
Audible Illusions Modulus 3A, Primaluna Prologue Five
REGA Apollo as transport, PS Audio Digital Link III DAC
KEF R300, pangea stands, SVS SB12 sub
Bluejean audio cables, Silnote AC cables
elader

Postby jonathanb » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:21 am

elader wrote:The VPI house is unique of course. Is there any room at VPI for the construction of a sound room and reception area?

From what I've seen in my visits to VPI, there's no space for such a room.

I think the VPI house is a brilliant promotional tool. I can see, though, how it might become tiresome having to actually live in said house.
jonathanb

Postby Cat5plus » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:51 am

I have never had the opportunity to visit the VPI factory or the "In Home Showroom" The only exposure I have are the photos and videos. If it were my decision, I might consider choosing a larger location for the factory and attach the showroom directly to it. In addition to having more manufacturing space, better organization and room for future expansion, You can provide a much better dealer training facility. Much easier to control from a single location. Just my opinion. VPI is the one who needs to justify the expenditure.
VPI Classic Signature 3D, Lyra Titan i, Ortofon MC A90, Eagle, Roadrunner, Pass Labs X-1 pre, Pass Labs X ono Phono, Pass Labs X 250.5, dcs/Berkeley digital, B&W 805D, JL Audio Fathom sub, Cables: Nordost, Siltech.
Cat5plus

Postby macster » Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:09 pm

Cat5plus wrote:I have never had the opportunity to visit the VPI factory or the "In Home Showroom" The only exposure I have are the photos and videos. If it were my decision, I might consider choosing a larger location for the factory and attach the showroom directly to it. In addition to having more manufacturing space, better organization and room for future expansion, You can provide a much better dealer training facility. Much easier to control from a single location. Just my opinion. VPI is the one who needs to justify the expenditure.

Where is the like button? :geek: :roll:

M~
Don't sweat the small stuff
macster

Postby Mat » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:09 pm

Single location is the ultimate goal but finding a spot like that in New Jersey has been a 3 year struggle so far. :( Nice part about this is it is much closer than the house and are going to model it after the layout of the house/listening rooms. ;)
Mat Weisfeld
President
VPI Industries Inc.
Mat
Site Admin

Postby husafreak » Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:07 am

I hate to be a wise a-- but, would I be able to learn anything about your new 9" 3D arm if I went to this showroom?
VPI Scout 2/JMW9-3D arm/Sumiko Blackbird/VPI Periphery Ring/HRX record weight/Pheonix Falcon PSU/Timber Nation Maple Isolation Platform/Target Wall Stand/VPI HW-16.5/Ortofon 6NX-TSW-1010/Krell KSL/KSL phono/KST/XLOPro/Harbeth SHL5+
husafreak

Postby husafreak » Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:09 am

On a brighter note I would love to visit a showroom if I had the chance. And with a wife from the general area I might!
I hope all of your products would be represented as statement systems are wonderful and have their place, but I would personally be interested in getting the most out of your more economical offerings (as a Scout 2 owner).
VPI Scout 2/JMW9-3D arm/Sumiko Blackbird/VPI Periphery Ring/HRX record weight/Pheonix Falcon PSU/Timber Nation Maple Isolation Platform/Target Wall Stand/VPI HW-16.5/Ortofon 6NX-TSW-1010/Krell KSL/KSL phono/KST/XLOPro/Harbeth SHL5+
husafreak

Postby Mat » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:32 am

Sure can! :) You can come by the factory and learn more. It is now an available drop on upgrade. It is a major step up for the Prime Scout and brings it closer to the sound of the Prime. This is an upgrade I hope to eventually be able to offer as a standard with the Prime Scout but we aren't close to those numbers yet :| the 3D arms all are totally dead and lets your cartridge open up and fill the room even more with more depth to the sound. It was a huge hit when i brought it around in Seattle to a few stores and they were blown away by the improvement.
Mat Weisfeld
President
VPI Industries Inc.
Mat
Site Admin

Utilize your dealer network to create this...

Postby EdAInWestOC » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:56 pm

It would be rewarding for everyone involved. As long as the dealer is willing to play along and not throw out people for "kicking the tires" you would be likely to convert future buyers as well as more immediate sales.

I buy from HiFI Sales in Cherry Hill, NJ and they have a pretty good selection of VPI tables to see but more could be done. A display showing the upgrade paths and a way to hear all of the models, side-by-side, would be very educational and promote higher end sales.

That's a hard thing to work out, since its their display, but maybe something could be done. It would take significant space to setup a full VPI display but it would be impressive. I strongly believe that you would sway potential customers if they could see the upgrade path and what they get for their money.

A nice VPI display showing all of the upgrades, tonearms and electronics plus the full line of tables, hooked up so a prospective buyer could hear the differences...like show rooms used to have. I remember dealers where you could hear almost any combination of gear. They had switch/patch panels to select electronics, source devices, speakers, etc. It would tend to promote higher end sales if they could hear what they would be getting.

When you go into a dealer now, it seems that a sales rep has to change around a bunch of cables to hear alternative setups. Yeah, I know about losses in switch setups but you do gain other things if you can show combinations of gear quickly.

I, for one, chose VPI because of the upgrade possibilities. In spite of my paying attention its not easy to realize the different products and upgrades that VPI offers. If this type of thing was advertised it would draw prospective buyers and the dealer can't complain about that.

Ed
We don't shush around here!
Life is analog...digital is just samples thereof
http://www.edsstuff.org
Prime | 3 Drive Belts | 2nd Pivot | ADS | Ortofon Quintet Black S | AQ Leopard | Liberty B2B-1
EdAInWestOC

Postby M3Man » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:52 pm

The problem with a single showroom is I'd have to go there, and I have no reason to visit the East Coast at all.

What would be cool is if you could develop a VPI stand/rack, that would let you display 5 or six tables on a single rack, using only the floor space of 1 rack. It would have built in switching, so a dealer could play the same record on a Player, a Scout Prime, a Prime, a Signature and an Avenger, and play them all through the same preamp, amp and speakers. Then, every VPI dealer would be a showroom. My experience is that most dealers may show 2 or 3 VPI's, and several other brands. But if you want to compare them, it takes a lot of time to move and switch, or you end up in a different room where all the other gear is different.

Just my thoughts. I will never experience a showroom in New Jersey. My personal philosophy is that I only go to NYC if someone is paying me to. But I think a rack like I suggest could sell a lot of turntables and a lot of upgrades. I love my Prime, but if an A/B comparison showed the Signature to be much better, I might start saving up.
M3Man

PreviousNext

Return to Mat's Corner