Fuse directionality

Fuse directionality

Postby rateourmover » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:23 pm

Here I am, buying catastrophically expensive fuses to replace the standard ones at approximately 400 times the price. Unlike the standard ones they are apparently DIRECTIONAL. So, your mega bucks can be largely negated by putting them into your equipment the Round Way Wrong...

If you have kit where you don't know which end of the fuse holder is the Hot end - and all documentation is unclear or non-existent, what to do ?

I'm aware of the "listen and see" advice but if it means moving the hotel a little to the left just to change fuses it becomes an unattractive option. Add to that the typical burn-in time for these fuses is around 200 hours so I can't be sure if the rubbish I'm initially hearing is burn-in or Wrong. Add to that it may be that Directionality is acquired with use - and how do I then assess turning around that directionality after a fuse is allegedly zapped with a trillion volts of Quantum Stuff before I even get to unpack it.

Gnawing nails to the bone in the foetal position is no way to enjoy your hi fi.

To be specific, and in case helpful, I'm talking about Hovland HP200 pre-amp, Hovland Radia power amp (8 internal and 2 external fuses), Nakamichi CR7 (I doubt even they know where the fuse is) and an Ayon CD35 SACD/CD player. Not to mention a Naim NAT02 Tuner or the highly modified EAR 834P phono stage lying fallow at present.

As you may detect, I've sort of decided which of my next itches to scratch but am somewhat apprehensive.

Any advice VERY gratefully received.
SuperScoutMstrRef. Terracone feet onto Symposium Ultra. Mystic Mat, 3belts, Lyra Skala, Dorian mono, MusicMaker III Moving Iron. HRX & Stillpoints LP1 wts. Hovland HP200P & Radia. (HP100 & Sapphire in their boxes. Interested ?)
rateourmover

Location: Deepest, darkest, northwest Herefordshire - close to the Welsh border.

Re: Fuse directionality

Postby Ayre Conditioned » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:36 pm

I thought about upgrading my fuses, but because of the very issues you bring up, I decided not to. I have since found two inexpensive tweaks that have improved the sound of my system for under $5.00.
Prime Signature•Eagle PSU and Tach•Soundsmith Sussurro MkII
Ayre Conditioned

Postby madrac » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:00 pm

Ayre Conditioned wrote:I thought about upgrading my fuses, but because of the very issues you bring up, I decided not to. I have since found two inexpensive tweaks that have improved the sound of my system for under $5.00.

Mind sharing?
madrac

Postby JimTimP » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:53 pm

Since you can't make fuses of a larger gauge to be more responsive to transients (or whatever marketing mumbo jumbo they are selling them with), I can't for the life of me see where upgrading fuses to those cost tens of dollars is anything but hocus pocus.

But then, I also have an issue with those people who spend hundreds if not thousands of dollars buying power cords the size of small branches, plugging them into power outlets cryogenically treated and made out of 5 nines copper and gold plated. All connected to 14 Gauge Romex house wiring in the wall on a shared circuit with the dishwasher. :shock:

You cannot usurp the laws of physics. Sure, you can use contacts plated in gold, but the fuse holder is zinc plated something. I get lost by those thoughts that seem to have lost the end-to-end solution.

I guess what I'm saying is $40 fuses are (IMHO and IME) not going to improve the sound of the music beyond a placebo effect. You will most likely forget about them, until the blow and those $40 fuses are now $60. And since AC current flows both positive and negative, I'm scratching my head on fuse directionality.
Teac X-2000R, Otari MX-5050 BIII-2, Manley Stingray II Amp, Yaqin SD-32A CD Player, Zestos Andros PS 1 Phono Preamp, VPI Prime Sig, ADS & 16.5, Soundsmith Voice & Lyra Delos on own arms, Zaph ZRT 2.5 Spkr, Homemade 10" Subs, PS Audio P5
JimTimP

Postby MOON » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:39 pm

I just went through this last week. I replaced synergistic research original synergistic sr20 fuses with their new black fuses. Yes, they are directional. You place them in the direction where you get the most detail and soundstage, easily heard by the way.

I kept the lids off both my pre and phono stage while doing the directional changes. The black fuses offer a big sound ipgrade. I already had a black fuse in my amp. These fuses take around 100 to fully break in. Yes, the synergistic black fuses are expensive however well worth it once you hear the improvement. 30 day money back guarantee.
Prime 152, symposium inserts, Lyra Kloes, Stillpoints LPI, HRS platform, Funk Firm Achromat,, Simaudio 610 lp Evolution phono stage & P -7 pre, W -5 LE amp, Audience Adept Response R 12 conditioner, Martin Logan Odyssey's & Depth I subs
MOON

Postby Ayre Conditioned » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:48 am

madrac wrote:
Mind sharing?

That would bring out the double blind listening test police who would tell me that I can't possibly hear any difference.
Prime Signature•Eagle PSU and Tach•Soundsmith Sussurro MkII
Ayre Conditioned

Postby JimTimP » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:30 pm

Here's a tip if you want to do that double blind test. Start with NEW off the shelf run of the mill fuses.

Fuses will deteriorate over time and their resistance will increase. It's why fuses blow for no known reason.

So, start with 25 cent a piece fuses before you listen to those 60 dollar a piece fuses. Because, unless you replace the 75 cent fuse folder and the 2 cents a foot wire leading to them, and solder with 4 alloy, silver and gold bearing solder, You have not improved a thing. Except several commercial sales peoples bottom line.

Weakest link folks. That's where the trouble is.
Teac X-2000R, Otari MX-5050 BIII-2, Manley Stingray II Amp, Yaqin SD-32A CD Player, Zestos Andros PS 1 Phono Preamp, VPI Prime Sig, ADS & 16.5, Soundsmith Voice & Lyra Delos on own arms, Zaph ZRT 2.5 Spkr, Homemade 10" Subs, PS Audio P5
JimTimP

Return to General Audio