Synergistic Research PHTs

Re: Synergistic Research PHTs

Postby oldskooldude » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:44 am

I would guess the nay-sayers probably used them wrong, just as I did when I put the Black Widow on. I hope you read the Michael Fremer review, I think that was enough for me. You're right though, it is completely subjective. I like the Green Dream better than the Black Widow, Moon prefers the Black over the Green. They are resonant changing devices, that would be too much damping. If I understood what I read, they channel the resonance into other vibrations that are pleasing to hear.

I think if they are used properly they provide a non-deteriorating color and temperature, as well a clear the space between instruments perceived as a change or improvement of the sound-stage.

I'm curious about the dots though, are you considering them? I chose the SR HRT's, as I mentioned, and they improved my listening room three fold. They too, are resonant changing devices, not dampers. I went the damping route, not satisfactory for me.
oldskooldude

Postby Spsesq » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:24 pm

Still no one can tell me how or why these "work"?

I assume these are made from aluminum. I have a close friend who owns a metal machine shop. If some one can post their exact diameter, weight and thickness, I will try an experiment and have some made of aluminum and see if these really work...
VPI 2017 Prime Scout
Ortofon 2M Black
Eagle PSU/Roadrunner tachometer
Rogue Audio Cronos Magnum II Amp.
BlueSound Vault
Harmon Kardan TD262 tape deck
Sony SCD-CE595 SACD/CD player
Schiit Vali 2 headphone amp
KEF LS50 speakers
Grado RS1e Headphones
Spsesq

Postby MOON » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:43 am

In my extensive research before buying a set of pht's I had read from one user who also recommended placing a synergistic research ( ect ) on top of the vpi junction box on the turntable for further sound improvements. I might try this down the line. You can use these in several other places as well. I am intrigued about the junction box placement.

Sq, I don't know how or why they work. As mentioned already the owner of Synergistic research is pretty tight lipped on why or how they work.
Prime 152, symposium inserts, Lyra Kloes, Stillpoints LPI, HRS platform, Funk Firm Achromat,, Simaudio 610 lp Evolution phono stage & P -7 pre, W -5 LE amp, Audience Adept Response R 12 conditioner, Martin Logan Odyssey's & Depth I subs
MOON

Postby oldskooldude » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:46 am

Wow, I hadn't researched those. I am curious too. I'd like to know if they work. Let us know if you try them, I'm still enthralled with the PHTs. I'll talk to some people.
oldskooldude

Postby pvannest » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:35 pm

I had not thought about the junction box........ Hmmm this could be fun.
VPI Classic 2 with Classic 3 arm
Soundsmith Boheme
Project RPM 1.3 with Acrilic platter and speedbox
Sumiko EVO III
Bottlehead Eros with Mundorf output caps
Bottlehead BePree
Two mismatched 12" subs
Emotiva SPA2
Cambridge Topaz CD10
Magnepan 3.7i
pvannest

Postby oldskooldude » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:39 pm

MOON wrote:...I played the new 180 g release of the song - Madman accross the water which was amazing. I said to myself at the time " never heard it like the before" There is also a lot of lower detailed imformation that was previously masked or may say less prominent before ...

Thanks, Moon. I bought this when I read your review and decided to check out the PHTs. I did it to look for the things you heard. I got that and an ear worm too! I can't stop listening to it! I switch among the PHTs and listen for the differences. I'm going to listen to the album probably several times a week now just to listen to it. I never got into Elton before, I'm in now. Thanks. Len 8-)
oldskooldude

Postby oldskooldude » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:41 pm

Moon, have you gotten the ECT yet? I ordered one, it's due Friday. I'll put it on immediately and give you my experience.
oldskooldude

Postby MOON » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:59 pm

Let me know how it goes. I plan on ordering a 5 pack. You can put the ect's on fuses , transformers etc. I plan on doing that as well as the junction box.I also use the Synergistic black fuses as well.Have you tried the black fuses yet?

Glad you liked Madman. All those new 180g Elton John reissues sound fantastic!
Prime 152, symposium inserts, Lyra Kloes, Stillpoints LPI, HRS platform, Funk Firm Achromat,, Simaudio 610 lp Evolution phono stage & P -7 pre, W -5 LE amp, Audience Adept Response R 12 conditioner, Martin Logan Odyssey's & Depth I subs
MOON

Postby oldskooldude » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:28 pm

MOON wrote: I plan on ordering a 5 pack. You can put the ect's on fuses , transformers etc. I plan on doing that as well as the junction box.

I'm going to hold off buying more than the one. I'll see what you say about yours. You were right. It is a lot of fun. With these you can go crazy, too. I went crazy with the HRTs. Have you tried them? I'm having fun playing with the PHTs as well.

MOON wrote:Glad you liked Madman. All those new 180g Elton John reissues sound fantastic!

Yes, I bought all four as well. I couldn't resist once I got hooked on Madman. Goodbye Yellow Brick Road is great also. :)

MOON wrote:I also use the Synergistic black fuses as well.Have you tried the black fuses yet?

I don't have any fuses in my system. I use Shunyata Venom for noise reduction, if that does the same thing. I never looked at their fuses because I don't have any.
oldskooldude

Postby oldskooldude » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:30 pm

OK transducer heads, here is my report on my next Synergistics Research foray.

We went over the PHT (Phono Transducer) and everyone who has them likes them. I'm using Purple Haze right now.

Then there are the HFT's and HFT-X's (High Frequency Transducer) which I have used to quiet room noise and improve detail. Awesome.

Next are the ECT's (Electronic Circuit Transducer). These little things supposedly reduce RFI from the microwave, cd player, TV's, etc. Moon heard that if you put one on the junction box where the lemo connects it will improve the noise floor. Sho' 'nuf. So I ordered 15 (they were 15 for the price of 10). They say you install them where the signal travels out at the cable jack (RCA, balanced, USB, Ethernet), by tubes, transformers and fuses.

I put one at the signal out from the junction box as well. It had a more drastic noise reduction effect. Now when I say noise, you can't here the noise but you can hear what it sounds like without it. Adding the ECT at the lemo gave a less drastic improvement. I have one at both points. I added one at the signal out from the phono pre and the line out from the preamp to the power amp. More detail.

I have not yet taken the PV6 apart to install them by the tubes. That's coming soon since I have to change out the tubes anyway. I expect great results.

The software I have can measure the background noise level and give me a graphic representation of it. I record nothing and then measure the noise. I started at -90 dB. The noise floor is down to -110 dB now. I can hear the results in the program.

By the way, your WiFi is adding noise to your music. I measure that too. There is a noise notch at 50-60 kHz. The ECT's don't really affect that for some reason. Coincidentally the Audiogon forum had a thread on WiFi noise this past week. Build a Farday Cage!
oldskooldude

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat