VAS Nova Cart,

Re: VAS Nova Cart,

Postby Harry » Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:18 pm

Michael Fremer created a monster with this USB angle business. Somehow we managed to live for 60 years setting VTA by ear, not using computers.

As you know I have been doing USB shots of all the cartridges, plus I bought 5 microscopes on E-bay ( always wanted them from the 50's and 60's) and can tell you with no uncertainty the only company that gets the stylus perfectly mounted consistently is Ortofon. And to go further the 2M Red is almost perfect on every one of the 10 I looked at.

Sorry guys, the best cantilever for mounting a stylus is an aluminum tube with the end crushed, bent, a hole put in, and the stylus inserted in the hole and glued. It is the only way to get a stylus perfectly aligned all the time and the rake angle very close to perfect.

After the holidays I will make angled shims of very low angle to adjust the rake angle of the cartridges in the headshell so you can get the SRA where you want it. Stay tuned.

HW
Harry
Admin

Postby Lewisranchmike » Sun Dec 25, 2016 9:26 am

Harry wrote:Michael Fremer created a monster with this USB angle business. Somehow we managed to live for 60 years setting VTA by ear, not using computers.

As you know I have been doing USB shots of all the cartridges, plus I bought 5 microscopes on E-bay ( always wanted them from the 50's and 60's) and can tell you with no uncertainty the only company that gets the stylus perfectly mounted consistently is Ortofon. And to go further the 2M Red is almost perfect on every one of the 10 I looked at.

Sorry guys, the best cantilever for mounting a stylus is an aluminum tube with the end crushed, bent, a hole put in, and the stylus inserted in the hole and glued. It is the only way to get a stylus perfectly aligned all the time and the rake angle very close to perfect.

After the holidays I will make angled shims of very low angle to adjust the rake angle of the cartridges in the headshell so you can get the SRA where you want it. Stay tuned.

HW

WOW Harry YOU ARE THE MAN!

Mike
VPI PRIME, VAS Nova Gold, TerraStone Footers, Symposium Seque Iso, Stillpoints LPI, VPI Periphery Ring, Eagle PSU, Roadrunner Tach, Audio Sensibility Statement, ARC Ref Phono 2SE, ARC Ref 5SE, McIntosh MC252, KimberKable 8TC, Vandersteen 3A Sig
Lewisranchmike

Postby 10ovr » Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:27 am

So Harry can steve build me a custom VAS NOVA cart, at .6mv ?,,I have a .8mv and love it,, .4 mv is to low for my ARC PH8 ,,Just wondering before I call him Thanks Tim
10ovr

Postby Mat » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:08 pm

Harry wrote:Michael Fremer created a monster with this USB angle business. Somehow we managed to live for 60 years setting VTA by ear, not using computers.

HW

I'm also looking forward to seeing this. Whose coordinating this for you dad? :P

(Trick question, the answer is me, I just don't know about it yet!) :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mat Weisfeld
President
VPI Industries Inc.
Mat
Site Admin

Postby MMMC » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:44 am

HW

Harry,

What is your opinion on the use of carbon for cantilevers? Have you auditioned any of them?

MMMC
One of the last HR-X production/ 3DR 12" arm/ ZYX Universe II LOMC with Copper wire/ RCM Sensor 2 phono preamp/ Silver Audio Appasionata IC/ Audio Sensibiity Statement Silver Phono V2 IC
MMMC

Postby Harry » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:06 pm

Never heard a carbon one, I have cartridges with boron, beryllium, aluminum, cactus, bamboo, and the list goes on and on. Never heard a carbon though.

HW
Harry
Admin

Postby Matthew-Levi » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:33 am

Harry wrote:

HW

Harry, have you got those shims made yet. I seem to have the similar problem that even when the arm is raised fairly high at the back, the SRA is still on 86 degrees. So shims at the headshell may be in order.
Matthew-Levi

Postby Lewisranchmike » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:24 am

Matthew-Levi wrote:
Harry wrote:

HW

Harry, have you got those shims made yet. I seem to have the similar problem that even when the arm is raised fairly high at the back, the SRA is still on 86 degrees. So shims at the headshell may be in order.

Hello Matthew-Levi:

I have the exact same issue, I went round and round with Steve (many exchanges) on this one and I worked with Harry also. For my .25mV he said parallel the cart and raise VTA Tower 2 full revolutions and enjoy.

Best,

Mike in Austin
VPI PRIME, VAS Nova Gold, TerraStone Footers, Symposium Seque Iso, Stillpoints LPI, VPI Periphery Ring, Eagle PSU, Roadrunner Tach, Audio Sensibility Statement, ARC Ref Phono 2SE, ARC Ref 5SE, McIntosh MC252, KimberKable 8TC, Vandersteen 3A Sig
Lewisranchmike

Postby Harry » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:27 am

That actually works but the shims are better. The shims have to be made in a milling machine which is so busy with Avenger parts and prime chassis I am trying to get in there but it is hard to break out the other items just to make the shims. It will come though when we catch up.

HW
Harry
Admin

Postby kevinheem » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:42 pm

I just purchased a used VAS Nova Signature...this thing rocks (or jazz, blues, etc.)! It Walks all over the Shelter 501 MKII it replaced. I understand that the Shelter might not be the best match for the unipovot tonearm, but the improvement going to the VAS Nova is startling.
Prime turntable w/ VAS Nova Signature
PassDiy Pearl II phono
DIY DHT preamp using 45 tubes
PassDiy BA-3FE preamp
Diy FirstWatt F5, F4, and M2 amplifiers
Focal 826W
kevinheem

PreviousNext

Return to Harry's Corner