Nordost Reference Tonearm Wire (Repost)

Re: Nordost Reference Tonearm Wire (Repost)

Postby billo » Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:26 pm

Are we any closer to having the Valhalla 2 tonearm and junction box upgrades available? No doubt my 20 year old wiring is holding back the signal a bit. I have Frey 2 and Tyr 2 interconnects so would expect some positive synergy there.

Bill
billo

Postby Harry » Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:49 am

I think so, if you send back your arm and junction box we can redo them. Contact me at hw@hwsworkshop.com for more info on this.

HW
Harry
Admin

Postby billo » Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:32 am

Harry wrote:I think so, if you send back your arm and junction box we can redo them. Contact me at hw@hwsworkshop.com for more info on this.

HW

Thanks for the quick response Harry. I'll contact you.

Bill
billo

Postby billo » Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:56 pm

I sent my original JMW 10 arm circa 1997 for the Valhalla 2 rewire and it arrived home yesterday. I took 3 - 4 hours to reassemble and set up the cart this morning. After several hours listening the results are all up and no down. Tight, tight bass with more authority. Sweet highs, really vivid mids. Focus, separation, punch, quickness, ambience and definition all at the next level. The music is more powerful both physically and emotionally. Everything is in its place - no phantom instruments playing somewhere in the background. I was laughing out loud at one point because the difference was so amazing. Beyond my expectations. Thank you Harrys Workshop!

Bill
billo

Postby fischerd » Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:17 pm

If I order a Standard Avenger, and upgrade to the 12" 3D arm from the 10", will this come with the Valhalla 2 wire or is that extra?
fischerd

Postby Harry » Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:45 am

Order it as the 12"3D R and you get the Nordost. Standard is Discovery. It may be slightly more, not sure on prices.

HW
Harry
Admin

Postby Orchids1 » Mon May 30, 2016 11:52 am

TAS just compared a 3DR tonearm to a standard 3D tonearm, using the same cartridge and, initially, using Heimdall 2 ICs, which are quite high quality by most standards ($780/0.6 meter), running from the table to a phono pre. They reported that the 3DR was better than the standard 3D in this set up, mostly, I think, in terms of improved transparency and detail. When they switched the ICs to Valhalla 2 (the same wiring used internally in the 3DR), they noticed greater improvements in several qualities. So, if you're going the 3DR route, either have or be prepared to have very high quality ICs, ideally, Valhalla 2 (I believe, about $4,500/1 meter), running from the table to, at least, the point of first amplification, a Valhalla 2 junction box and, I would imagine, a very good cartridge, or you will miss out on a good bit of the benefit of the tonearm wiring upgrade. Rich
Avenger, SS Paua cart, Phoenix Eagle psu and tach, Sutherland 20/20 phono, Audionet Pre 1 G3 pre, Benchmark AHB2 monos, YG Carmel 2 spkrs, Nordost/Audio Sensibilty ic, Kubla-Sonsa spkr cable; Auralic Aries renderer, Auralic Vega dac.
Orchids1

Postby Brf » Mon May 30, 2016 1:53 pm

Orchids1 wrote:TAS just compared a 3DR tonearm to a standard 3D tonearm, using the same cartridge and, initially, using Heimdall 2 ICs, which are quite high quality by most standards ($780/0.6 meter), running from the table to a phono pre. They reported that the 3DR was better than the standard 3D in this set up, mostly, I think, in terms of improved transparency and detail. When they switched the ICs to Valhalla 2 (the same wiring used internally in the 3DR), they noticed greater improvements in several qualities. So, if you're going the 3DR route, either have or be prepared to have very high quality ICs, ideally, Valhalla 2 (I believe, about $4,500/1 meter), running from the table to, at least, the point of first amplification, a Valhalla 2 junction box and, I would imagine, a very good cartridge, or you will miss out on a good bit of the benefit of the tonearm wiring upgrade. Rich

I assume that the review is only available in the print mag, if not, could you please provide a link. Did TAS report an improvement in sound with the higher priced Valhalla and the regular 3D arm?
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Orchids1 » Mon May 30, 2016 4:00 pm

Brf, I'm not good at posting links. However, if you go to The Absolute Sound website, the review is included in the first article currently posted, which, as I recall, relates to cables and power equipment shown at Munich. TAS did report a noticeable improvement in the 3DR over the standard 3D using Heimdall 2 ICs in the particular qualities I noted. I don't know whether Nordost (which staged the comparison) used a Valhalla 2 junction box (but given the conclusion TAS reached in the end, I assume it did, at least in the second test, and probably in both). I also don't know what cartridge was used, but I assume it too was very good. Rich
Avenger, SS Paua cart, Phoenix Eagle psu and tach, Sutherland 20/20 phono, Audionet Pre 1 G3 pre, Benchmark AHB2 monos, YG Carmel 2 spkrs, Nordost/Audio Sensibilty ic, Kubla-Sonsa spkr cable; Auralic Aries renderer, Auralic Vega dac.
Orchids1

Postby Orchids1 » Mon May 30, 2016 4:26 pm

Postscript: I should add, conversely, that, based on the TAS review, if you already have very high quality ICs out of the table and a very good cartridge that can pick up and transmit very subtle signals, then it makes sense to take advantage of those things with the Valhalla 2 wired 3DR tonearm. Rich
Orchids1

PreviousNext

Return to Harry's Corner