Original Aries 1

Original Aries 1

Postby mitcheft » Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:44 pm

I got my Aries used about 16 years ago and I still love it. It is still in it's original form, no mods have been made. There has been alot of talk about the new pivot spike so I may look into that mod. Any suggestions after that?

associated aquipment:
SS retipped Blackbird cartridge
Cornet 2 phono pre
Classe CP60 pre
McIntosh Mc300 amp
Thiel 3.6 speakers
Attachments
P3250456A.jpg
P3250456A.jpg (138.5 KiB) Viewed 1992 times
mitcheft

Re: Original Aries 1

Postby Brf » Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:53 pm

Nice Aries with the TNT Mk3 platter and an original JMW 10 tonearm. Yes, new pivot spike is all that I would do and perhaps the new tear drop counter weight.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Gary1955 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:59 pm

The new 3D tonearm is a very nice upgrade.
VPI HR-X rim drive w/magnetic drive platter, 3D Ref. 12" tonearm, Lyra Titan-i cartridge, Graham Slee Reflex M & Elevator, tri-amped horn system w/electronic crossover.
Gary1955

Postby billo » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:52 am

I second the dropped counter weight for no other reason than the ability to use the SS Counterintuitive. I use the 120 gm version. It works with my 10.7 gm Ortofon Cadenza Bronze. For my lighter 9 gm Dynavector XX2 MKii I use a VPI 3 gm head shell weight and it's perfect. I've done the spike also and, while it helps, the BIG difference in my original JMW 10 was upgrading to Nordost reference (Valhalla 2) wire. It's laugh-out-loud good over the original Discovery wire. I mean it, I laughed out loud the first record I cued up! More VIVID, detailed, quick, dynamic, focussed and dense while keeping the same warm balance. I sent it to Harry's Work Shop a year ago for the sum of $150 including return shipping. My best audio value ever.

Bill
billo

Postby gene9p » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:29 am

I should send my Classic 3 arm in for a rewire. I bought a 2nd arm from Harry as a backup that has the Nordost wiring. It was a demo/ B stock but boy it does sound different. Very good idea.!!
VPI CLASSIC 2 WALNUT,+ CLASSIC 3 ARM + SDS, SS AIDA Cartridge| MANLEY CHINOOK| MACINTOSH C220 Tube Pre Amp + MC-152 amp | KRELL Showcase CD Player| BRYSTON BDA-1| HARBETH 7es-3 | MORROW AUDIO + AUDIO SENSIBILTY Cables|WAYNE'S OUTER RING
gene9p

Postby MMMC » Mon May 01, 2017 4:05 am

billo wrote:I second the dropped counter weight for no other reason than the ability to use the SS Counterintuitive. I use the 120 gm version. It works with my 10.7 gm Ortofon Cadenza Bronze. For my lighter 9 gm Dynavector XX2 MKii I use a VPI 3 gm head shell weight and it's perfect. I've done the spike also and, while it helps, the BIG difference in my original JMW 10 was upgrading to Nordost reference (Valhalla 2) wire. It's laugh-out-loud good over the original Discovery wire. I mean it, I laughed out loud the first record I cued up! More VIVID, detailed, quick, dynamic, focussed and dense while keeping the same warm balance. I sent it to Harry's Work Shop a year ago for the sum of $150 including return shipping. My best audio value ever.

Bill

mitcheft,

I have a lot of love for the Aries I and Aries II tables, and would also agree with the upgrade to the Nordhost Reference(Valhalla 2) tonearm wire if you stay with your current arm and change the spike, to forego the higher cost of moving to the complete 3D Ref arm. You should also send your junction box in to also rewire it with the Ref 2 Valhalla wire. I also added a stand alone TNT flywheel for my Aries motor drive, but is requires more real estate.
Enjoy your upgrades!

MMMC
One of the last HRX production/ 3DR 12" arm/ ZYX Universe II LOMC with Copper wire/ RCM Sensor 2 phono preamp/ Silver Audio Appasionata IC/ Audio Sensibiity Statement Silver Phono V2 IC
MMMC

Postby ppomerantz » Tue May 02, 2017 12:19 am

Consider upgrading the feet. I have Eden Sound Terrastone. They also make brass feet. Many other upgrade options available including VPI made ones.

300 rpm motor upgrade another possibility.
VPI Aries 1 w/Classic 3 Arm, Aries 1 platter, VAS Nova, VPI SDS, TerraStone feet
Zesto Andros 1.2 phono stage, Morrow Audio PH5 Reference Phono Cable
Target wall mount shelf, Maple Butcher Block base
ppomerantz

Return to Customer Pictures