Request: Cartridge spacer

Postby Golear » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:08 pm

I'd like to suggest that VPI make a cartridge spacer. Something like this:
http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/95279 ... t_Up_Tools

...that's made out of the 3D material.
Golear

Re: Request: Cartridge spacer

Postby macster » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:35 am

Is what you are talking about is something similar to the old Grado cartridge spacers?

M~
Don't sweat the small stuff
macster

Postby tom collins » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:53 pm

I use that very one on my TNT. It does weigh 3 grams however, so you have to account for that. I need it because the headshell is not large enough to put on the cartridge and use the clips on the cartridge pins, too cramped up. The SME arm that I bought this for had the same problem, longer body carts just did not work when stock.
TNT6HR, rim drive, superplat, outer ring + center weight, 12.0 arm, base and 12.7 armwand, SDS, SRA platform; Delos, Zu, Grado ME+ carts; Musical Surroundings Nova 2, custom SUT; Cary 30i prototype EL34 integrated amp; Devore Gibbon 8 speakers; PSB sub.
tom collins

Postby Golear » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:56 pm

I don't know anything about the Grado spacers. But I bought a 3D arm and Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC* cartridge for my Classic 3. I found that, with a thin LP, the VTA control is almost down to its lower limit. I'm guessing that the cup for the unipviot on the 3D arm is a little but different height, or some other dimension, is a bit different from the JMW arm. (Or there's something that's a bit different on my old Classic 3).

With a spacer, a little more play will be available for VTA adjustment. One could use brass washers, etc. but I just thought it might be neat to have a spacer made of the same material as the 3D arm. Come to thin of it - no need for a whole tonearm head like the SME. May be all we need are flat sheets of the 3D material. We can cut and use them between the arm and cartridge.
Golear

Postby Harry » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:21 am

Not a bad idea, it will give come really low cartridges some added VTA room.

HW
Harry
Admin

Return to Harry's Corner