SPECIAL VAS NOVA/HW CARTRIDGE

Re: SPECIAL VAS NOVA/HW CARTRIDGE

Postby VinBob » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:29 am

Peer Gynt wrote:
VinBob wrote:
BTW, does anyone have any thoughts on my low riding VAS Nova - I assume it's normal but wanted to get some thoughts on some other VAS NOVA users.

It does not look like a low rider to me.

Is your arm truly parallel to the vinyl? Hard to tell from the picture, but your arm looks a bit dropped at the back, and that affects VTA/SRA.

The cantilever looks good though. Low riders generally look like their suspension has failed. Yours does not.

Thanks Peer - Based on my eyesight and using many magnifying tools, I believe the arm is fairly parallel to the vinyl - so I should be good there. Thank you for your thoughts and confirmation on things, as I had that 'here we go again' moment... :)
VPI Prime | VAS Nova Special 0.4mV | Phoenix Engineering Eagle & Roadrunner | Moon 310LP/320S | Bryston BP-25 & 3BSST | Focal 826W Chorus V LE | Naim DAC-V1 | Rega Apollo-R
VinBob

Postby VinBob » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:31 pm

Johnny wrote:
Brf wrote:Hey Vin, set the jumper on your Moon to the IEC modified setting and see if this rolls off the woofer pumping. If this doesn’t work, then the KAB filter won’t either.

Harry wrote:At the show in Montreal two years ago the head of Moon came in, saw the woofers pumping, told us to change the EQ to IEC and it was gone.HW

Vin, I believe you have your answer :D :D :D

Finally got the settings changed to IEC on my Moon 310LP and no more excessive cone pumping. :D

Not sure if I have sacrificed anything by doing so from an audio quality perspective, but I am a lot happier knowing that I am not overworking the speakers unnecessarily and things still sound pretty good to me! ;)

Thanks for the tip on this Harry and especially as this came from Simaudio too!

Cheers,
Vin.
VPI Prime | VAS Nova Special 0.4mV | Phoenix Engineering Eagle & Roadrunner | Moon 310LP/320S | Bryston BP-25 & 3BSST | Focal 826W Chorus V LE | Naim DAC-V1 | Rega Apollo-R
VinBob

Postby thegage » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:53 pm

The IEC recommendation to cure woofer pumping is mentioned in the 310LP Owner's Manual.

John K.
thegage

Postby VinBob » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:59 pm

thegage wrote:The IEC recommendation to cure woofer pumping is mentioned in the 310LP Owner's Manual.

John K.

Thanks John - Yes, I had seen that but I have been trying to solve the issue without needing to resort to the subsonic filter and I had read that if one could, to try doing so without introducing such a filter as it may be detrimental sonically. I tried everything I could (even had my Lyra checked out which took 4 months!) and this was going to be my last resort which of course, ended up being the solution...

Cheers,
Vin.
VinBob

Previous

Return to Harry's Corner