SPECIAL VAS NOVA/HW CARTRIDGE

Re: SPECIAL VAS NOVA/HW CARTRIDGE

Postby gene9p » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:50 pm

chime in...what's the difference in sound between .8 and the .4 and which do you prefer and why... :)
CLASSIC 2 WALNUT,w CLASSIC 3 ARM, SDS
HW SPECIAL VAS NOVA .8v
MANLEY CHINOOOK
Vinnie Rossie LIO integrated
KRELL CD Player
BRYSTON BDA-1
HARBETH 7es-3
MORROW AUDIO + AUDIO SENSIBILITY Cables
WAYNE'S OUTER RING
gene9p

Postby Harry » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:14 pm

As is always the case, the .4 sounds slightly faster the .8 sounds slightly richer. It is subtle but there but having heard both I would go for the one that matches my phono more than worrying about the sound difference. The .8 always sounds quieter unless you have a very, very quiet solid state phono.
Harry
Admin

Postby VinBob » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:46 pm

If it’s of any help, Steve kindly recommended the VAS Nova Special .4mV version for my setup which I am using a SS Simaudio Moon 310LP with 320S power supply. My system has a fair amount of gain especially with the Bryston gear, so the lower output is probably a better match for me all around.

Cheers,
Vin.
VPI Prime | VAS Nova Special 0.4mV | Phoenix Engineering Eagle & Roadrunner | Moon 310LP/320S | Bryston BP-25 & 3BSST | Focal 826W Chorus V LE | Naim DAC-V1 | Rega Apollo-R
VinBob

Postby Dorian » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:13 pm

VinBob wrote:If it’s of any help, Steve kindly recommended the VAS Nova Special .4mV version for my setup which I am using a SS Simaudio Moon 310LP with 320S power supply. My system has a fair amount of gain especially with the Bryston gear, so the lower output is probably a better match for me all around.

Cheers,
Vin.

How is it sounding Vin compared to your Lyra Delos (I think that's what you switched from)?
VPI Prime #959 & Outer Ring| SoundSmith MIMC Star | Herron VTPH-2A | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium HP Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Audio Sensibility Cables | Symposium Ultra | AQ Niagara 1000 | Stillpoints LPI | Focal Clear
Dorian

Postby VinBob » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:30 pm

Dorian wrote:
VinBob wrote:If it’s of any help, Steve kindly recommended the VAS Nova Special .4mV version for my setup which I am using a SS Simaudio Moon 310LP with 320S power supply. My system has a fair amount of gain especially with the Bryston gear, so the lower output is probably a better match for me all around.

Cheers,
Vin.

How is it sounding Vin compared to your Lyra Delos (I think that's what you switched from)?

Hey Dorian - We’ll, I finally went to install it this past weekend and during the whole swap/exchange with the Delos, I seem to have misplaced the finger lift (as in lost it!) and didn’t get past first base! :oops: - Marc is kindly helping me out and I am going to attempt it this coming weekend. I also have the dual pivot point to install too - not sure whether to do that as a phase II, or set it up at the same time... once I have it setup, I will give the Feickert Adjuat+ a try to get it even closer... ;)

Cheers,
Vin.
VPI Prime | VAS Nova Special 0.4mV | Phoenix Engineering Eagle & Roadrunner | Moon 310LP/320S | Bryston BP-25 & 3BSST | Focal 826W Chorus V LE | Naim DAC-V1 | Rega Apollo-R
VinBob

Postby Dorian » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:46 pm

VinBob wrote:Hey Dorian - We’ll, I finally went to install it this past weekend and during the whole swap/exchange with the Delos, I seem to have misplaced the finger lift (as in lost it!) and didn’t get past first base! :oops: - Marc is kindly helping me out and I am going to attempt it this coming weekend. I also have the dual pivot point to install too - not sure whether to do that as a phase II, or set it up at the same time... once I have it setup, I will give the Feickert Adjuat+ a try to get it even closer... ;)

Cheers,
Vin.

Bummer. Hope you get that sorted out. Let us know how it sounds once set up.
VPI Prime #959 & Outer Ring| SoundSmith MIMC Star | Herron VTPH-2A | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium HP Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Audio Sensibility Cables | Symposium Ultra | AQ Niagara 1000 | Stillpoints LPI | Focal Clear
Dorian

Postby spinblackcircle » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:06 pm

VinBob wrote:
Dorian wrote:

Cheers,
Vin.

Hey Dorian - We’ll, I finally went to install it this past weekend and during the whole swap/exchange with the Delos, I seem to have misplaced the finger lift (as in lost it!) and didn’t get past first base! :oops: - Marc is kindly helping me out and I am going to attempt it this coming weekend. I also have the dual pivot point to install too - not sure whether to do that as a phase II, or set it up at the same time... once I have it setup, I will give the Feickert Adjuat+ a try to get it even closer... ;)

Cheers,
Vin.

Vin, I would install the dual pivot at the same time, unless you really like setting up cartridges. It takes me at least one-two hours to install the DP resetting Azimuth, VTA and VTF. I used to like to do such things but anymore, I just don't have the free time. I'd rather be spinning than setting up.
VPI Prime/Grado Reference Master, VPI 16.5 RCM, Audio Research LP1, Audio Research VSI60, Martin Logan Electromotion ESL, ClearDay and Audio Sensibility Cables
spinblackcircle

Postby Stringreen » Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:48 pm

The 2nd pivot is a big upgrade
Stringreen

Postby VinBob » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:19 pm

Hey All,

So I finally got the VAS NOVA special 0.4mV installed over the weekend and was amazed at how well the cartridge is crafted. I hardly had to play with Azimuth with the Left and Right channels just 1-2 tick marks apart on the Fozgometer and for the first time ever with any of my cartridges, the channel balance is perfect and dead on zero with no emphasis on the left channel as I have always had in the past.

I dropped the needle and was very impressed by what I heard albeit, I only had time to play a couple of tracks and I know I still have 20 hours of break in per the instructions. I have it set to the 1.75g, arm is parallel to the platter and my phono is set at 60dB gain with 100 ohm loading although I believe it needs to be closer to 500 Ohm, which I will look to set to the 470Ohm setting on my Moon 310LP.

What I am curious though, is how low the cartridge rides to the Vinyl LP - its not worryingly close to the vinyl surface but its a lot closer than my Delos or DV20x2l were - are you guys seeing the same profile with your VAS Nova cartridges? I am providing a picture so you can see how I am setup.

IMG_6783.JPG
IMG_6783.JPG (1.68 MiB) Viewed 118 times

Unfortunately, after dealing with getting my Delos serviced and exchanged for the VAS Nova during the past 5-6 months, I am back to where I began with the speaker woofers unnaturally pumping during the quiet passages or on the lead in groove and deadwax in-between the LP tracks and still hearing a little surface noise. I was hoping the VAS Nova being a more compliant cartridge with the 3D 10" arm would have helped in this area but clearly, I have a subsonic related issue which I am going to have to now address either via the Moon 310LP subsonic filter or the KAB device. Shame as I was hoping to solve this naturally but at least I ended up with a potentially better cartridge for my setup overall...

Now onto the second pivot point project for this weekend...! ;)

Cheers,
Vin.
VinBob

Postby Brf » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:39 pm

Hey Vin, set the jumper on your Moon to the IEC modified setting and see if this rolls off the woofer pumping. If this doesn’t work, then the KAB filter won’t either.
Brf
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Harry's Corner