SPECIAL VAS NOVA/HW CARTRIDGE

SPECIAL VAS NOVA/HW CARTRIDGE

Postby Harry » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:01 pm

I am very close to Steve Leung of VAS, aside from him being my neighbor we share the same love of sound and the type of that sound. I have enjoyed the Nova in all its versons over the last two years but I asked Steve to make me a special version of the cartridge with .4 mV output, high quality elliptical stylus (not the $2.00 ones), and a thin hollow aluminum tube cantilever. He took about a month, made me one, said load it at 500 ohms and have fun.

Two weeks later, three phono sections later, I have found a new love. Smooth beautiful music with power, speed, detail, soundstage (measures 31 db separation), and none of the MC hyper detail that is never in live music. I just listened to Gary Karr and his Contra Bass and can only tell you it plums the depths of that recording like an Atlas for 1/10 the price. Very quiet, very low surface noise, and a rich full upper bass lower midrange that makes cellos, basses, oboes, pianos, sound real, not thin but detailed.

One of the most overly modulated recordings ever made is the Phase 4 Stokowski Scheherazade, I actually enjoyed listening to it. Not the separation that Phase 4 does but the fact that the violins actually sounded like violins not screechy or thin.

He said he would make 10 for me over the next month so if anyone is interested they are $1200.00 and I would need a $200 deposit to hold them. They take time and Steve is busy but 10 in 4 weeks he says is very, very possible.

It does not have the ultimate resolution of the A-95 or the Atlas that sounds amazing on 1% of your recordings but it sounds so musical, so right, so enjoyable it is not coming off my arm. I think it is a steal at the price. I will warrantee them for a year because I know Steve and he will always do the right thing for me.

HW
Harry
Admin

Re: SPECIAL VAS NOVA/HW CARTRIDGE

Postby 10ovr » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:23 pm

I'm up for one,,How do I pay you? PayPal Tim
10ovr

Postby jonathanb » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:34 pm

I'd jump all over this if I didn't already have a .4mv Nova Signature and if Steve wasn't already going to build me a .4mv elliptical stylus mono cartridge. However, if you think this cartridge is preferable to the Nova Signature, I'll have to seriously consider getting in on this deal.
Last edited by jonathanb on Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jonathanb

Postby 10ovr » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:19 pm

jonathanb wrote:I'd jump all over this if I didn't already have a .4mv Nova Signature and if Steve wasn't already going to build me a .4mv elliptical stylus mono cartridge. However, if you think this cartridge is preferable to the Nova Signature, I'll seriously have to consider getting in on this deal.

You can never have to many carts LOL ;)
10ovr

Postby Dorian » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:16 am

I’ll take one. How do we pay you Harry?
VPI Prime #959 & Outer Ring| SoundSmith MIMC Star | Herron VTPH-2A | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium HP Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Audio Sensibility Cables | Symposium Ultra | AQ Niagara 1000 | Stillpoints LPI | Focal Clear
Dorian

Postby gene9p » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:18 am

I sent Harry an e-mail about whether or not it would be a good fit for me with a Classic 2, non 3D arm, and a Manley Chinook phono stage. In the past I paid via paypal so I imagine the deposit would be done the same way.
CLASSIC 2 WALNUT,w CLASSIC 3 ARM, SDS
HW SPECIAL VAS NOVA .4v
MANLEY CHINOOOK
Vinnie Rossie LIO integrated
KRELL CD Player
BRYSTON BDA-1
HARBETH 7es-3
MORROW AUDIO + AUDIO SENSIBILITY Cables
WAYNE'S OUTER RING
gene9p

Postby Dorian » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:38 am

What’s Harry’s email address?
VPI Prime #959 & Outer Ring| SoundSmith MIMC Star | Herron VTPH-2A | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium HP Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Audio Sensibility Cables | Symposium Ultra | AQ Niagara 1000 | Stillpoints LPI | Focal Clear
Dorian

Postby Harry » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:41 am

Anyone who wants to send the refundable deposit can contact me at hw@hwsworkshop or just PayPal me at that address. I'm listening to the Crystal Clear D2D Laurindo Almeida recording and the strings sound like real strings. The impact is terrific, and the noise level is as low as it gets.

Sonically I could charge $3K for this cartridge and the reviewers would say it is a bargain!! I would rather sell more, get them into listeners systems and have more happy vinyl people out there. I was getting a little bored with the newest, greatest, boron, tungsten, Koa wood, bullshit. Almost all of them are hyper detailed and lacking in body.

My new Pure Audio speakers really showed this off and showed how much better reel to reel is than hyper detailed vinyl. Now I feel relaxed listening again. Maybe it's just me but I don't think so. It's like listening in a car, they spend millions to get the midrange right so you enjoy the experience. It's no different with vinyl, the human voice is rich and full, not thin and stringy. I hear a lot of live music and it never leaves me cold!!

HW
Harry
Admin

Postby MikeS » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:38 pm

What’s the difference between this cartridge and the VAS Nova Signature.4mv
MikeS

Postby jonathanb » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:48 pm

The .4mv Nova signature has a contact line stylus while this new cartridge has an elliptical stylus.
jonathanb

Next

Return to Harry's Corner