Sudden Speed change to platter

Sudden Speed change to platter

Postby HarryOOOO » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:43 pm

So today I was playing Records and I stopped the platter to flip an LP and then upon turning the motor back on there was a audible pop. Looked to see what that could have been did not see anything. Lowered the cartridge and the speed of the platter was well out range, very slow. I stopped and started the motor no change speed still slow. Checked voltage at outlet everything is ok. So what is the issue is the motor shot the table is serial number 013 and seems early for a motor failure.
Help
Harry
PS AUDIO Stellar GC DAC, BHK SIGNATURE 250 Amplifier
Oppo 105D Disc Player-mods, Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2
Prime 013- Dynavector 20XH/Ortofon 2M&Quintet Black
IFI IPhono
Duelund DCA 20/16 Ga wire, Morrow
Audio Physics Avanti speaker
2 REL S3 Sub-woofers
HarryOOOO

Re: Sudden Speed change to platter

Postby Brf » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:53 am

HarryOOOO wrote:So today I was playing Records and I stopped the platter to flip an LP and then upon turning the motor back on there was a audible pop. Looked to see what that could have been did not see anything. Lowered the cartridge and the speed of the platter was well out range, very slow. I stopped and started the motor no change speed still slow. Checked voltage at outlet everything is ok. So what is the issue is the motor shot the table is serial number 013 and seems early for a motor failure.
Help
Harry

An audible pop within an electronic device is never good news. Since the motor's speed is determined by the synchronized line frequency and the number of poles within the motor, I am not sure what the pop sound could be that caused the motor to turn at a different speed. Just make sure that the pulley is not slipping on the motor shaft, other than that, I am stumped..
Brf
Site Admin

Re: Sudden Speed change to platter

Postby Harry » Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:38 pm

Brf is correct, the speed of the motor is determined by line frequency, not anything in the unit itself. Unless you have a unit from a few years ago when we were using a synthesized 60 HZ for better speed control. If so it could be the answer. More likely the pulley has loosened up on the motor shaft.

HW
Harry
Admin

Return to Harry's Corner